Next Generation Fastpass?

What do you think about remote/advanced fast pass options?

• Love it, sounds great, about time!

Votes: 47 21.6%
  • Sounds okay, I'll wait and see.

Votes: 84 38.5%
  • Hate it, dumb idea, see lots of problems!

Votes: 75 34.4%
  • Not sure, don't care

Votes: 12 5.5%

• Total voters

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So why not stay on site and enjoy the perks?

Resident rates are always around $150 per night, which is close to what a regular hotel on I-Drive would run I would guess.
What happens if I am there just for the day, or they are booked up, or any one of a hundred other reasons why I might not be staying at one of their 3 resorts. The point is I should not have to stay at one of their resorts to enjoy the parks. I can show up at WDW and regardless of whether I am staying in the presidential suite at AKL or I am just there for the day I can enjoy equal access to all of the attractions.

I am all for capitalism and for Disney doing what they need to do to fill their parks and resorts but if the result of a tiered fastpass system is what I see at US I want no part of it at WDW even if it would personally benefit me (which it would).

devoy1701

If they kept the current system in place it wouldn't make any sense to have an additional pay tier.

The FastPass lines are already long enough as it is. Not much value in a pay system when you have to stand in line with the people who got a FastPass for free.

I say axe the free passes, make a total pay system like Universal and offer unlimited FastPass to deluxe resort guests staying on the club levels.

you're really pushing the club level thing, huh?

devoy1701

It's the only way to offer something extra to resort guests.

Disney has too many rooms to make it available to everyone like Universal does.

I see your point. I feel the same way about EMH. with 35,000 hotel rooms on site, the little perk of getting one park an extra 3 hours one night is just not cutting it. There is already such a steep premium for club level maybe a FP perk wouldn't be bad.

SleepingMonk

Yeah, the extra magic hour thing is a joke at this point.

The morning hour works ok because people don't want to get up early on their vacation.

The evening hour is just a scam, the parks are still full and they don't really make an attempt to thin the herd as long as they're still shopping.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would be completely against a Resort only FP system or Pay system like Uni's. But I don't have a problem if they run one parallel to the current system with the resort guests having some extra perks.

Some people argue that they should get rid of the system all together though. Do you not fall into that crowd Yoda? I would imaging that they capacity of onsite hotels at Uni are not enough to throw a kink in wait times for regular guests (pre Potter crowd levels atleast). 60 minutes wait for Hulk and 90 for Spidey have always been normal during busy seasons, havent' they?
No. Fastpass as it is works great at WDW IMHO. It worked at US to a point when it was still free. WDW's resort capacity is around ten times that of US couple that with an early EMH and resort guests with an unlimited fast pass could conceivably shut down a park.

RSoxNo1

I've made no secret about being a Fastpass defender, but I do have some qualms with it.

1. It should be used on more attractions.
2. They should take a page from World of Color's playbook and post on the Fastpasses for shows (when they are operating) that "Late and Early guests will not be admitted). This would help Fastpasses for shows actually work.
3. I think too many are distributed. This is a function of not enough attractions needing Fastpass at parks outside of the Magic Kingdom. DHS, AK and Epcot really only have 3 attractions each that require Fastpass, and even that's a stretch. Magic Kingdom typically has 7.

Bandaid solutions can fix this temporarily while they build more attractions. I think it could easily be added to The Great Movie Ride, Tomorrowland Speedway, and Primeval Whirl (they're set up for it, but I never see it on). Then as seasonal offerings, they could also use it on Pirates of the Caribbean, it's a small world and Haunted Mansion.

Epcot doesn't really have an attraction where Fastpass can necessarily be added effectively, but some thoughts:
1. Spaceship Earth - It could be added to this, but it's capacity typically doesn't require it. Even if it has a 40 minute wait first thing in the morning, by the time your return window comes up again, the wait will typically be 10 minutes or less.
2. Character Spot - This is really the only "attraction" I can come up with where it might actually work. Even still, I'm not sure it's the best idea
3. Sum of all Thrills - Like the Character Spot, the capacity may be too low for it to really work here.

the-reason14

I would totally be in favor of a tiered system where deluxe-type resort guests get preferential priviliges. I for one work hard to earn enough money to stay in deluxe accommodations at Disney and would therefore not feel badly at all that other guests felt left out. It's just capitalism.:shrug:

Of course someone would if they stay at deluxe resorts regularly, but i doubt it would happen and to me I think its stupid. Imo, you have every choice to stay at a value or moderate, but you choose to stay at deluxe. You could very well stay at a value, and spend the extra money on souvenirs or extra days at the parks. Any incentives for deluxe should be exclusive to that resort.

erasure fan1

The point is I should not have to stay at one of their resorts to enjoy the parks. I can show up at WDW and regardless of whether I am staying in the presidential suite at AKL or I am just there for the day I can enjoy equal access to all of the attractions.
Great point, I agree 100%.

stlbobby

I would totally be in favor of a tiered system where deluxe-type resort guests get preferential priviliges. I for one work hard to earn enough money to stay in deluxe accommodations at Disney and would therefore not feel badly at all that other guests felt left out. It's just capitalism.:shrug:

You are correct that you should get more perks for paying higher room rates, and the deluxe guests already receive many, like location and more transportation and dining options.

The problem with shrugging it off as capitalism, is there are two sides to capitalism, and while Disney wants to attract the higher dollar guests willing to pay a premium, they also want to cast as wide a net as possible by providing a great experience for everyone. If it became obvious in the parks that there were two classes of guests they would start to lose some of the magic for the second tier guests and eventually lose the guests themselves.

So what they do is try and keep the perks at the resorts and make those in the park invisible.

Right now they have a two tier system that works. It is resort guests and non-resort guests. It works because with the value resorts and discounts everyone has a chance to buy into the in-park perks.

Disney is trying to balance the premium experiences with a sense of egalitarianism to keep both market segments pleased.

zweltar

You are correct that you should get more perks for paying higher room rates, and the deluxe guests already receive many, like location and more transportation and dining options.

The problem with shrugging it off as capitalism, is there are two sides to capitalism, and while Disney wants to attract the higher dollar guests willing to pay a premium, they also want to cast as wide a net as possible by providing a great experience for everyone. If it became obvious in the parks that there were two classes of guests they would start to lose some of the magic for the second tier guests and eventually lose the guests themselves.

So what they do is try and keep the perks at the resorts and make those in the park invisible.

Right now they have a two tier system that works. It is resort guests and non-resort guests. It works because with the value resorts and discounts everyone has a chance to buy into the in-park perks.

Disney is trying to balance the premium experiences with a sense of egalitarianism to keep both market segments pleased.
This has to be one of the more logical, most concise explanations I've ever read on this board. Are you sure you're in the right place?:lol:

puntagordabob

And where does the Disney Vacation Club fall under this possible new fastpass umbrella? Our resorts are all listed as Deluxe Villas?

Secondly, how do you handle the annual passholders (especially the Floridian's who are truly local to the parks)????

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
And where does the Disney Vacation Club fall under this possible new fastpass umbrella? Our resorts are all listed as Deluxe Villas?

Secondly, how do you handle the annual passholders (especially the Floridian's who are truly local to the parks)????

Passholders already get their share of perks. You are, generally, paying less per day than the average guest. Why should you get more than them?

RobVanDam

Passholders already get their share of perks. You are, generally, paying less per day than the average guest. Why should you get more than them?

Why should people who pay to stay at a Deluxe get Advanced FastPasses when the majority of guests stay in Value/Moderate?

Honestly, I would not prefer the new system, By all means, it could mean that Soarin's fastpasses could majority-ly be gone by the time the park opens. The best part of FP was rushing to the attraction to put your ticket in at opening and already seeing it was down to 3:50-4:50.

The current system isn't hurting anyone.

It's like my good friend Paulie once said, "LET IT BE."

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Why should people who pay to stay at a Deluxe get Advanced FastPasses when the majority of guests stay in Value/Moderate?

Honestly, I would not prefer the new system, By all means, it could mean that Soarin's fastpasses could majority-ly be gone by the time the park opens. The best part of FP was rushing to the attraction to put your ticket in at opening and already seeing it was down to 3:50-4:50.

The current system isn't hurting anyone.

It's like my good friend Paulie once said, "LET IT BE."

That way everybody has the option to get them. Whether you choose to spend that kind of money is your choice, but you would have that option.

RobVanDam

That way everybody has the option to get them. Whether you choose to spend that kind of money is your choice, but you would have that option.

Exactly, it's their choice to spend that money for the extra accommodations in the hotel (Bigger rooms, better views, fancy eateries, etc)

Don't destroy the magic for the rest of the guests.

mrbghd

Sounds like a bad idea (from a customer satisfaction stand point). The majority of people in the parks don't stay at a deluxe resort, so to give those people who do preferential treatment with FP, I think will make the majority of visitors upset. And to be able to do it from the hotel or a cell phone seems unfair. Then, those people who are more financially capable will be able to just show up and start riding the rides without having to actually put in the effort.

The rich just keep getting richer. That being said, things like this rarely pan out, so I'll wait and see what happens.

That is the point is to give people who can afford to drop big dollars an incentive to do so. I for one love it. I used to stay exclusively at the deluxes- Mainly Poly. But now, so many people not staying there are wandering around and hanging out on the beach waiting for the fireworks that it is disgusting. I was dropping quite a bit for a week and thought it was complete garabge that outsiders were on the beach. I let Disney know about my disgust and began staying at values and mods and then taking the difference and going to Vegas 3 times a year instead of just 2.. BTW, I put in plenty of effort to earn my living so why shouldn't I, if I am willing to spend for it, be able to just show up and start riding the rides. This is still America right?

Also, the majority of visitors still do not understand nor use the fastpass system. So your argument also fails there.

mrbghd

This is a valid argument. The problem is that the resort specific perks for Deluxe resorts are not resort specific as anyone is allowed to take advantage of activites at the resort( except for the pool and I'm not going there). If they will not do the 2 or 3 tier fastpasses maybe they will restrict delux resorts to delux guests...

SoccerMickey

This is a valid argument. The problem is that the resort specific perks for Deluxe resorts are not resort specific as anyone is allowed to take advantage of activites at the resort( except for the pool and I'm not going there). If they will not do the 2 or 3 tier fastpasses maybe they will restrict delux resorts to delux guests...

I totally agree that deluxe resort perks (beaches, easier access parking lots, etc)should be exclusive to the deluxe resort guests but unfortunately seeing how they all have popular restaurants (O'hana, California Grille) there isn't a way to block off the resorts to it's guests as the restaurants and shops wouldn't be profitable.
The money people spend on deluxe resorts is a lot! Almost to the point of a ripoff, actually. If you went to a 4-5 star hotel in most cities at the same price a standard room at most Disney deluxe resorts. your room and amenities would blow your standard room at Disney away! And at Disney you could end up with a view of the air conditioner units!
Not everyone that stays at a deluxe resort is swimming in money. I know a couple who's dream it was to stay at the Beach Club and the husband secretly saved so that when their anniversary came around, SURPRISE! they had a room booked for the week. The wife was so disappointed with the size of the room, the layout (the long walk from the lobby, anyone who's ever stayed there knows what I'm talking about) and the already mentioned view that she felt that they could have gone back to their regular standbys like pop or port and would have fared better at a fraction of the cost!
I've read reports that guest satisfaction is down at the deluxe resorts and I've always felt that Disney never gave enough incentive to stay in them. Fastpasses are a low-cost motivational tool that they can use to lure people to shell out some extra dough to ensure they get to see all the attraction they want.
As for the others, Disney honestly doesn't care how long you stand in line at Soarin'. Fastpass wasn't created to decrease the waits at rides, it was made to decrease the amount of people waiting in line by increasing the number of people's free time in the parks to visit shops and restaurants and spend more money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom