Newsworthy Things That Happened During Your Vacation?

mf1972

I was in Epcot when sandy hook happened. was buying a pretzel in Germany when my wife saw the news. was really tough watching little kids around the park having fun that day, not knowing about what happened.
the looks on other peoples faces said the same thing.

DisneyGigi

Not sure if this counts or not, but I won't forget either of these....

June 2011 trip - Casey Anthony trial started while we were at Disney World. It was on what seemed like every channel of the TV all day, every day -- literally every local channel and every national news channel was showing it. And if the actual trial wasn't on, there was a report/show about the trial/case. And this was back when there weren't as many channel options in the resort rooms as there are now. Our choices were basically watch the trial or watch one of the Disney channels.

June 2013 trip - George Zimmerman trial started while we were there. Same deal as the Casey Anthony trial. It was on what seemed like every channel all day, every day. Rachel Jeantel was quite interesting to watch, though.

We were there again this past June. Thankfully there were no high-profile trials going on this time. :)

The Casey Anthony thing, we went down when little Caylee's pics were up missing, she was arrested, and released whike we were there. I followed the whole thing. More disappointed with what she didn't get than I was with Susan Smith. Both something I hate to even think about. :( the shooting, that happened when we were there was November 9. Scary, as crap! But the Caylee thing was worse, I guess I just choose to bury it now.

afar28

We were there for Katrina and had to actually cut our vacation a day short since we were driving, fearing it would impact Orlando. We also were there for the death of Steve Jobs, tropical storm Fay, and Hurricane Irene and an Earthquake affecting my home.

zurgandfriend

I saw Samatha Brown filiming a Disney segment on one trip, on another trip someone stopped us in Magic Kingdom and informed us that Michael Jackson had passed away.

mf1972

I remember Casey Anthony just being on the news down there. news about her didn't even reach NJ at the time. people had no idea what I was talking about.

disjr77

2013 we were there when they announced the George Zimmerman verdict and last year we were on our way down when the riots started in Missouri.

LdyApxr

In 2013 we were in DLR with our nephews, our younger son and a good friend of ours and while in the Indiana Jones ride queue(deep in, not just barely) the ride shut down for over an hour and a half and we waited inside the queue simply because we felt like it and then we got on the ride, got out, went through Main St and out to dinner in DTD and as we left Suzie(she lives in San Diego) to go to her car and we went to our room at the Grand Californian, as we got to the elevators our phones started going nuts(guess within range of a signal) from my sister about an explosion in DLR that we knew nothing about. We reassured my sister that we were all ok and at the same time Suzie was getting messages from her mom checking on all of us. Apparently a "dry ice" bomb went off while we were in the queue and that was the reason for the ride stopping(all rides did apparently since no one knew exactly what had happened at that time). It was the next morning that we found out about the dry ice bomb and then later to find out it was a CM with an ice cream cart who had done it and there was another one found at the same time that had not gone off. Kind of scary(beyond being just incredibly stupid!) because they were found to be water/soda bottles that were used and just early that day we had found a water bottle next to the Walt Mickey statue and I had my son throw it away while mentioning that littering is never a good idea when there are garbage cans around(my son knows that but my nephews.... eh). That was probably the most unusual thing we had happen on any of our trips.

DizzneyDi

I managed to slide a 5 night birthday trip neatly between Hurricanes Charley and Frances in 2004. I'm still not sure how I got that lucky! I was also in Orlando when Tiger Woods smashed both his mailbox and his marriage to smithereens, and during the Casey Anthony trial. I like to stay in my vacation bubble as much as I can, but the latter two things were just impossible to avoid.

JIMINYCR

I turn on the resort TV each morning while DW is in the shower to keep an eye on the major news stories. I cant remember any major National news happening that stands out while on my trips but I quite often get shocked by looking through my local newspapers that have accumulated once I return home. Its amazing how much bizarre happenings happen once I leave town. :eek::D:D

Slipknot

People mentioning hurricanes reminded me of one of my all time favorite memories: I was working in Tomorrowland during hurricane Wilma and close to no one was in the park. It was obviously raining all night and I was working Astro Orbiter. Since no one was wanting to ride it in the rain, I had to run it, with no one riding, every so often or the mechanics screw up (I don't know the specifics). So there I am, enjoying the weather with a light mist around me because I was under cover running a ride no one wanted to experience in a hurricane.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom