NewfieFan's Amazing August Trip!

NewfieFan's Amazing August Trip! (Better late than never!)

Yes, this TR is just a few months late! But I've moved twice in the last four months... give me a break!

The players;
Me (aka NewfieFan)
Hubby
Son (6)
Daughter (3)
Best friend - Natasha (first timer)
Brother (aka Uncle Matt) - he was coming from the other side of the country (Alberta to be precise).

Thought you'd all love to hear about my adventures...

We were suppose to fly out of St. John's Newfoundland on Monday Aug. 24th but Hurricane Bill had a surprise for us! We had left our hometown on Thursday 20th b/c we wanted to spend some time in the city before we flew out. I was pretty much packed for the most part... had a few last minute things I was going to pack and/or buy while in St. John's.
Hurricane Bill was headed straight for NL and was suppose to hit Monday morning (exactly the same time as our flight would be taking off). Thursday evening... Bill was still on course, Friday... Bill was still on course! At this point I was freaking out! Then they put out a travel advisory and we called Westjet to see what was going on! They were flying people out early (at no extra cost) if the flight or seats were available. I told them my situation and they had 1 flight Saturday morning with 5 seats left (the exact # of seats I needed). I took it!!!

So let's just set the scene here for a minute. It is now 10:30pm Friday night and I just found out I'm leaving for the airport at 4am Saturday morning! If my math is correct that is 5 1/2 hours away! Let's just say I didn't sleep. I threw the kids in the bed and started in packing! It was crazy!!! I also called Disney to see if they had somewhere to put 5 of us for two nights and if we could change our DME. They had a room at the YC available... and we said, "What the heck, you only live once!"

And this is where our adventure begins. The flight was perfect (although my husband said I was drooling in my sleep on the plane), everybody was in good spirits (despite the lack of sleep), and we arrived in Orlando safe and sound. Take that Hurricane Bill!!!

We boarded DME and we were off to the YC!

Here is my son pointing everything out to the first timer (the kids call her Tashie), he didn't want her to miss anything along the way.

2roox2e.jpg

Is there any sweeter sight in the world...?

2iizgi9.jpg

And the YC... one word, "Wow!" Our room was just lovely and Natasha thanked us for bringing her to WDW (she was quite excited to have arrived)!

34zdmhi.jpg

We checked out our surroundings and decided to get something to eat - we were starving (I don't think I had eaten since Friday evening)!

Who doesn't love their food in a bucket!?!

fkm8ur.jpg

We decided to head over to Beaches & Cream (b/c we had heard so much about it) and get some dessert. Hubby got a shake and the kids just had some plain ice cream... but I was too stressed out from the night before to eat (I get like that)!

"I finished all my ice cream!"

9amxxj.jpg

And now it was time to check out the awesomeness otherwise known as Stormalong Bay!

2copji9.jpg

My husband fell asleep while we were changing, so it was just me, the kids, and Tashie going for a swim tonight!

Swimming in the night time is such a treat for us. You can't do that around these parts (brrrrrrr)! Here is the kids and Tashie enjoying some night time pool!

30utgrb.jpg

2dugljl.jpg

We left the pool and walked down to the bridge to see if we could catch a glimpse of ROE. It was so exciting to be so close to Epcot! But we would have to wait until Monday before we could see a park!

Tashie was still "rearing to go" so after our swim and fireworks we decided to go for a little walk. We had to go back to the room to change again and now we lost male #2. My son curled up next to daddy and went sound asleep. But the girls were still "on the go" - who needs sleep when you're at Disney!?!

So the females headed out to the...

20h3wg9.jpg

This whole resort area is just beautiful. I feel in love with it. Walking the Boardwalk was just so peaceful. And Natasha actually screamed when she saw the tops of SSE! I think it sunk in that she was actually at WDW. We walked the whole length of the BW and came around the other side of the BC. We stopped to relax on the beach swings... I don't think either of us wanted this night to end!

dxzn5x.jpg

But we had to call it a night! It was quite late and at this point I had been up for over 38hrs!

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Thank you SO much for sharing your TR and family with us :sohappy:

:lookaroun "Uncle Matt" is a HOTTIE!!!! :wave::wave::slurp:

NewfieFan

Original Poster
Thanks for the critque on the room at the all-stars; my fiance and I are getting married down there and we are just figuring out what rooms to block off for the guests. We figured we would kind of give people the option for either poly or port orleans river side, and probably the all stars depending on their budget!
I've been to the all stars before, but never tried out the suite....its a good thing I'll keep in mind for some of my guests with larger families! Im looking foward to the rest of the trip report. Have an awesome day! sean

I do recommend the suites! If you can swing the extra few dollars they are certainly worth it! They are also in the first four buildings so they're pretty much in a preferred room location! Close to the main pool, food court, busses, etc.

I had so much fun reading your trip report..what an adorable family you have! :)

Hahaha...I must admit I couldn't help but notice your brother in your pics :eek:

We say "pop" here in Buffalo, NY too! :D

Thanks!

Maybe some day we can meet up at the "World" and have a pop together!

Thank you SO much for sharing your TR and family with us :sohappy:

:lookaroun "Uncle Matt" is a HOTTIE!!!! :wave::wave::slurp:

Thank you!

I'm sure Uncle Matt would say thank you too! :animwink:

Sorry again folks... but I was in the city doing some Christmas shopping! I'll try to finish this up in the next couple of days!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
NewfieFan...GREAT pics. You look like you had so much fun! Beautiful kids, and I "think" I recall swoooning over your brother on one of your other trip reports :eek::D:lol:

NewfieFan

Original Poster
Well, Christmas just kind of sneaks up on you, doesn't it!?!

But I'm still determined to finish this TR (at the rate I'm going it'll be August again)!

Day 8 continued (I do believe)

We took the train all the way to Frontierland and that's where we met Tashie again. We got FPs for Splash and Tashie and I wanted to ride BTMR. Well guess who decided he was now brave enough to ride BTMR... my little man. And he loved it!!! Squealed with delight over every bump (isn't that why we spend the money?)!

b6djie.jpg

Then we all hit up Splash. I don't know if you've noticed or not but my husband doesn't do many rides. He's not a thrill ride man! And he did not like Splash! Wuss! (Love you honey!) The kids however thought it was great. My daughter was concerned about her dress the whole time (she did not want to get her princess dress wet). We did get wet... but Tashie and I did our job as royal servants and protected the little princess from any water!

2hqbcbm.jpg

It was now lunch time and we headed to Columbia Harbour House and tucked ourselves away upstairs (which is always nice)!

The real "sleeping beauty"!

sy6stj.jpg

We headed back to the hotel after this. We were still taking it easy on the princess. On the way out we stopped for some PhotoPass pics and they came out pretty good!

The princess and her family had the castle to themselves!

20qo02e.jpg

m80jfc.jpg

I have no idea what we did back at the resort... I think I lay down on one of the kid's beds and passed out. The trip was starting to catch up to me!

We headed out to Epcot after our little break b/c we had an ADR at Chefs de France. Both Natasha and Matt said they were only going to eat dinner and then go back to the hotel. I wasn't the only one who was starting to feel tired. Natasha wasn't feeling well now and my husband was starting to complain too!
Dinner was really good, although my husband didn't have much of an appetite. And we did get to see this little fella...

ogyygw.jpg

The kids thought it was super cute!

To be honest I could have a called it a day after dinner as well but I promised my son that he could do the Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure. First we did France (which was convenient)! My son loved it... and knew his way around better than I did!

Here he is with his Kimunicator (spelling?)...

346qeeh.jpg

Then the Kimunicator offered us another mission and my son begged me to do another one... so what the heck, we signed up for China! This one was fun as well and my daughter was really interested in it and wanted to be pressing buttons herself. I can see on our next trip that my husband and I may have to split up and let the kids do their own missions...

After saving the world twice it was time to head home and put everyone in bed (including myself)!

Here's a little food from Chefs de France (I keep forgetting to take pictures of my food)...

259bdki.jpg

NewfieFan

Original Poster
NewfieFan...GREAT pics. You look like you had so much fun! Beautiful kids, and I "think" I recall swoooning over your brother on one of your other trip reports :eek::D:lol:

Thanks!

And speaking of my brother... I miss him now that the holidays are getting closer! :( I wish we didn't live so far away!

NewfieFan

Original Poster
Day 9

Our trip is coming to an end soon and we're really starting to slow down. Lots of people are starting to feel sick (I guess my kids passed around what ever they had) and everybody wants to sleep in.

We spent another morning by the pool... but it's still lots of fun!

Mmmmm breakfast!

2hwjrll.jpg

Actually this was Tashie's breakfast! (I like my Mickey waffle just the way God intended it - plain with a little syrup!)

So the princess 'do is still in her hair (what the heck do they put in there?) - hey, we had to get our money's worth!

2s60t1z.jpg

Uncle Matt gave the kids a couple water toys the night before (a whale and dolphin) to play with in the pool. The kids were having lots of fun with their new toys and I had to keep reminding them every 30 seconds to not lay their toy down as someone could take it! Well, my son lost his dolphin... but someone didn't take it... my husband actually threw it in the garbage when he dumped the breakfast trays. So my brother and I spent 10 mins. going through the garbage cans while battling hornets!!! You should have seen the looks we got - especially when I would run screaming from a hornet and circle around the can a few times! (The things we do for our kids!)

After a lazy morning we headed out for a lazy afternoon in AK.

We stopped for some frozen Cokes and then made our way over to the Finding Nemo musical. This was my first time seeing it and I loved it!

As we were next to Dino-Rama we stopped in. I know a lot of people don't like this area... but I really did have fun with the kids here. The CMs working the games were great. And my kids won a bunch of games and had the time of their life!

Here's Uncle Matt teaching my daughter how to cheat (got to start 'em out young, right!?!)...

2rm1rba.jpg

We took a ride on Triceratop Spin for the kids and we were going to ride Primeval Whirl but my son wasn't tall enough for it so we skipped it.

Normally AK would have been closing around this time but it was open an hour or two later. I don't know if any of you remember but Disney made a little mistake when booking ADRs for a couple of weeks in Aug. and b/c of it had to keep the park open for the ADRs. Anybody who was in the park was allowed to stay in the park.
We headed to Asia and the park was EMPTY! We were going to take another ride on Kali but it was closed so we headed into the Maharajah Jungle Trek (another place I had never been). Well, we had the trails to ourselves.
The CM in the bat exhibit was great. She shared so much information with us (we learned a lot). She took the time to talk to my kids and even gave them a free pin each.

2e5krux.jpg

It was such a great experience! We had spent so much time on the trails that it was now time to make our way out of the park b/c we had an ADR over at Boma. But first I let Tashie, Matt, and my husband see ITTBAB. I stayed out with the kids.

We didn't have to wait too long for our ADR. My daughter had fallen asleep again in the stroller but they let me bring the stroller in the restaurant. Boma was mmmmmmmmm! We all loved it! Everything was good. Did I mention we loved it!?!

This was supposed to be another early night. But before leaving AKL we went outside just to see the sights and check out the pool, etc. We went to one of the look outs and could barely make out giraffes in the distance (it was dark by now). Just as we were about to walk away my brother hears the cracking of branches and there right next to us was a young giraffe. We were freaking out (quietly freaking out)! I think we watched the giraffe for at least a half an hour. And there was no one else there! We couldn't believe what we were seeing. On one side of us was a pool and on the other side was a giraffe eating from a tree. Such an amazing experience for everyone. As we were leaving we bump into a custodial CM who tells us to go down the path and see if we can see the savannah with night vision goggles! Again, we were there for at least a half an hour talking to the CMs and watching the giraffes in the distance. So cool! We were talking about it for the rest of the night!

So much for the early night... but it was totally worth it!!!

NewfieFan

Original Poster
Well sir, I'm determined to finish this TR! My next trip is only a month away but I don't care I'm finishing this one! My computer cord died on me and I haven't had access to my pictures again until now.

Day 10

This is our last full day at WDW *sad*! We started the day by swimming in the pool again... we knew it would be our last time in the water for a while! And then we asked the kids where they wanted to go. It was a unanimous vote for the MK!

First stop was Main Street USA where we got to see...

5k3ho4.jpg

and...

4pwaki.jpg

We love Mary!

2hn8kcz.jpg

This was really funny! She was so good at playing the "part"!

Next we headed into some of the shops on MS and it was really my first time going in some of these stores. The kids colored in the Art of Disney store and got a Disney Artist of the Day certificate. Don't know if they give these out all the time but the kids thought it was special!

Then we let the kids pick where they wanted to go. The new "brave" son of mine wanted to do BTMR and my daughter wanted to do IASW. So, we split up. Daddy took the princess and I took everyone else and headed for that runaway train! We did two rides back to back... which thrilled my son to no end!

Here's his last ride on BTMR...

2rh93s9.jpg

We realized after this that we didn't have one of our cell phones and we didn't come up with a meeting spot before hand - not very smart! So, we headed in the direction of FL! As soon as I saw the stroller parking... I got an idea. If I can find the stroller, at some point daddy would be coming back to pick it up. Sure enough, I found my stroller right where I thought it would be. I sent Uncle Matthew and my son into IASW to pass the time while I waited for daddy to come back! Daddy finally showed up and when I asked them where they had gone... apparently the princess wanted another ride on HM so they walked over there. Well, at least we had everybody together again!

Next up, a spin on the tea cups. My daughter had wanted to go on this ride the whole trip.

28t9vyp.jpg

After a spin we split up again but this time we had a meeting spot! I took the kids to TT b/c I had promised them earlier in the trip that they could get a box of Mr. Potato Head parts; they love this toy and all the Disney parts you can get.

I headed towards Tomorrowland (that was our meeting spot) but we bumped into this guy along the way...

2h6um42.jpg

Well, what a hoot he was! It was one of the funnier things I've ever seen in WDW. Who ever was working PUSH that day did an amazing job!

We got bored waiting for the boys to show up so we rode Buzz (it had no wait). Turns out the boys were over at the Carousel of Progress getting in one last ride!

It was time to leave the MK and say goodbye! We had one last ADR at Chef Mickey's. This turned out to be a good way to end the trip!

3328jvd.jpg

My daughter very excited to finally see Minnie...

258c5lv.jpg

Peek-a-boo!

eqe24g.jpg

I think they're all a little Goofy (I know, that's an old joke!)

25i1avn.jpg

Day 10 continued in next post...

NewfieFan

Original Poster
When Donald came around the first time she was too nervous to take a pic with him but when he came around the second time she decided she was now brave enough!

Here's a brave face...

25gdyz7.jpg

Pluto never disappoints...

14ec4ud.jpg

jb1oau.jpg

It was good times and a great way to end the vacation on a high note. Although I didn't get one good picture with the Mouse; somebody had their eyes closed or was making a funny face! Oh well, there's always next time...!

Again, this was suppose to be an early night for us. Tomorrow was departure day and of course I had oodles of packing to do! But I guess WDW was sad to see us leaving too b/c the sky opened up and cried! It was crazy rain... and wind! We couldn't even get out of the Contemporary it was that bad. So, we spent some time in the arcade... and the kids had a ball! When the rain slowed down we headed to a bus and made our way back to the resort.

There's not much to tell here. Lots of packing and my brother tried to get some sleep b/c he had to leave super early (4am) to catch his flight. We had to buy a suitcase at the gift shop b/c we ran out of room in our luggage. It was late before I finally crawled in bed and I did get up at 4am to say goodbye to my brother! *sad*

Day 11

We started this day the way we've started every departure day... breakfast by the pool! And I took the kids for a little walk around the resort to take a couple more pics and say our final good byes to the resort.

1zv9amp.jpg

Don't let this picture fool you... my son spent the whole morning wailing b/c he was going home! We told him he needed to be a big boy for his sister or she was going to get upset!

27zgsrd.jpg

34pn88i.jpg

Bye bye Calypso!

2d2f9eo.jpg

And that's it! I'm done! And it only took me 5 months to complete... not bad! :lookaroun

On the way home we discussed when we would be coming back (of course) and we decided that we would come back in less than a year if it was financially feasible.

Well, here we are... only a month away from our next trip. A very big deal for us! It's amazing that we can go once a year... let alone twice!

Very excited about our upcoming trip in March... and Uncle Matthew is joining us again!

Usually finishing a TR is a little sad for me but it helps when your next trip is only around the corner. Maybe I'll put off finishing the next one as well... :animwink:

And if there's anyone still out there - thanks for reading!

sweetpee_1993

Still out here and enjoyed your final installments. I totally understand the computer issues interfering with the reporting...mine is currently at the doc's place gettin all fixed up again.

The bonus time at AK & AKL sounded really cool. Talk about some major scores! I'm glad y'all are already getting geared up for your next adventure and look forward to the next go-round. And how awesome that your kids have their very own 'Uncle Travelin Matt' (as in one of my old fav's - Fragile Rock). Lol!

Great report! Thanks for not letting it go without an end... Lol!

disneygirl1

Great report!!! Thanks so much for sharing, and how lucky are you that you finished one up and are heading back down to the World in less then a month!!! Lucky duck!!!

I will be looking forward to reading your next report! Have a magical trip

Oh, and yes I have to add... Your brother is adorable! :ROFLOL:

DiPSU224

I just loved reading through this! I especially enjoyed seeing and reading your experience with your daughter at BBB. I know it wasn't the most popular decision to change the Art of Disney to the BBB but I can't imagine there being anything more exciting for a little girl than to get a makeover in Cinderella Castle and isn't that what it's really all about?? It makes me so excited to one day experience WDW through the eyes of my children....:)

Enjoy your next trip! So lucky!

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention, we there about the same time as the beginning of your trip. I remember that awful night of downpouring...it was our last night there and my husband's birthday. We were eating at the Cali Grill when the deluge began....

NewfieFan

Original Poster
Still out here and enjoyed your final installments. I totally understand the computer issues interfering with the reporting...mine is currently at the doc's place gettin all fixed up again.

The bonus time at AK & AKL sounded really cool. Talk about some major scores! I'm glad y'all are already getting geared up for your next adventure and look forward to the next go-round. And how awesome that your kids have their very own 'Uncle Travelin Matt' (as in one of my old fav's - Fragile Rock). Lol!

Great report! Thanks for not letting it go without an end... Lol!

Well, you're a trooper for staying with me! And I can't believe you made a Fragile Rock reference... that's awesome!

My dang computer cord broke and I had to wait until I could get into the city and pick up a universal one at Future Shop!

We did have some special moments which made the trip for us! And concerning Uncle Travelin' Matt... it's cheaper for him to fly to Orlando and spend a week with us then it is for him to fly "home". It's crazy living in Canada (and Newfoundland) sometimes!

Thanks for reading!

Great report!!! Thanks so much for sharing, and how lucky are you that you finished one up and are heading back down to the World in less then a month!!! Lucky duck!!!

I will be looking forward to reading your next report! Have a magical trip

Oh, and yes I have to add... Your brother is adorable! :ROFLOL:

Yes, I feel quite lucky actually! Thanks for the comments and I'll tell my brother he's adorable! :animwink:

Lovely TR. Thanks for posting

And thank you for reading! :wave:

I just loved reading through this! I especially enjoyed seeing and reading your experience with your daughter at BBB. I know it wasn't the most popular decision to change the Art of Disney to the BBB but I can't imagine there being anything more exciting for a little girl than to get a makeover in Cinderella Castle and isn't that what it's really all about?? It makes me so excited to one day experience WDW through the eyes of my children....:)

Enjoy your next trip! So lucky!

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention, we there about the same time as the beginning of your trip. I remember that awful night of downpouring...it was our last night there and my husband's birthday. We were eating at the Cali Grill when the deluge began....

Oh my, didn't it rain that night!?! Not the best way to end your trip but at least you were inside the Cali!

Children change the experience like you wouldn't believe! And you don't understand it until we all become parents ourselves! Right now I'm enjoying them at this age. They won't be traveling with mommy & daddy forever... so, I'm taking advantage while I can!

Thanks for reading!

plaz10

Yes, I feel quite lucky actually! Thanks for the comments and I'll tell my brother he's adorable! :animwink:

your brother is more than adorable...he's HOT! :kiss:
and he loves disney? thats my kind of guy!!

(don't tell my boyfriend:zipit: :lookarounhaha!)

NewfieFan

Original Poster
your brother is more than adorable...he's HOT! :kiss:
and he loves disney? thats my kind of guy!!

(don't tell my boyfriend:zipit: :lookarounhaha!)

My lips are sealed! :lookaroun :lol:

5 mins for Peter Pan...It's longer than that with fast pass!!!!

The only time I can handle FL is first thing in the morning.

We walked by the ride later in the day and my friend noticed the wait time... she couldn't believe it! "Now you know why I dragged you out of bed early this morning!"

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The only time I can handle FL is first thing in the morning.

We walked by the ride later in the day and my friend noticed the wait time... she couldn't believe it! "Now you know why I dragged you out of bed early this morning!"
Main reason I'm looking forward to D23 on the 5th... Actually riding some of the rides I've never been on in FL! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom