New Year's Eve Announcement?

Ignohippo

What a huge opportunity completely wasted. At the very, very least, the ads should've highlighted the opening of Circusland here at WDW.

Seriously, how cool would it have been for them to have the official opening of Circusland (or at least the half that's opening now) on February 29th? Why not use the advertising time to promote the Leap Year event as well as the new(ish) attractions that are opening around the same time?

To use a nationally televised live broadcast event for a one-day promotion is absolute insanity. There's an enormous amount of expansion opening this year at both MK and DCA. For them to have squandered such an amazing advertising opportunity on NYE to promote one day makes absolutely no sense. People should be getting pink slips tomorrow.

AEfx

There is some precedent...

I know that Tokyo Disneyland has been open for over 24 hours for New Year's and back in the 80's, Disneyland was open for Star Tours for well over 24 hours IIRC

I knew about the Star Tours (was it 72 hours) but not about TD. What I was glad he posted was the times it would be open, which we were all speculating how it could be open for exactly 24 hours.

With the 6 to 6 time, not sure if I'm still going to make a special trip down for it. I have no problem staying awake, and I have an AP, so I literally was going to fly down, do the event, and fly home. But with the 6AM thing, I'd have to get there the night before - which means a hotel, a rental car, etc. If it had been 9am to 9am the next day (which would have meant they still would be open that next day), I could have done it just for the price of a plane ticket.

I'm still thinking about it, though. :)

They sure did fail on this announcement...

HATER!!

:)

Two problems with this thought pattern.

1. This promotion sucks and does nothing to entice new people to Disney.

2. AP and DVC people account for more and more of Disney's bottom line. We are the ones who kept Disney Parks churning during the Great Recession. Keep treating us poorly and you will see how their non-engagement policy with these groups goes for them. AP and DVC people are not guarantees and they can stop buying and attending and they can sell their contract out from under Disney. DVC has been the driving force behind the theme parks for the past ten years and becomes more and more important. Taking these groups for granted could be the biggest blunder Disney makes EVER! Even as the national economic fortunes turn north, I can see Disney's fortunes turn south because they turned their backs on their two biggest sources of revenue: DVC members and Annual Passholders.

First, though, I didn't say it was my personal opinion, but the thought process behind the decision that I am assuming.

That said...while it's undoubtable DVC shares have been part of the backbone financially, thing is - you guys are captive. If you get sick of Disney, your only option out is to sell your DVC to someone else (and Disney can probably charge them more in fees, etc. as new people, from my limited understanding). So to Disney, if it's your family that owns it, or another, they probably don't care very much financially.

With AP holders, again a captive audience in many ways - though of course I agree in some ways we spend more money, in other ways, an AP holder is probably savvy enough to know all the tricks and discounts and such. I think the last time we heard numbers (someone please correct me if I am wrong, like I have to ask, LOL) of AP's were in the mid-six figures, something like a half a million AP's. When you compare that to the number of total guests, it's not a huge percentage. (They have much more of an impact at Disneyland because the sheer number is so much higher.)

So while I agree they should court us more, what we really are asking for is more of a "rewards" program for being loyal, and they don't seem to need that to keep our loyalty, and they know it.

I understand and agree with what you wrote. But how difficult is it for Disney to make AP holders and DVC'ers feel a little appreciated *after* we're shelled out a good chunk of change? The discounts you receive as a DVC member are fairly pathetic, IMHO. Too specialized and/or aimed at a specific niche. Would Disney go out of business if they offered DVC members a discounted dining plan? They give free dining to people who spend far less than a DVC member has.

Ultimately, what's worse for Disney - giving AP/DVC people a deal here and there, or continuing to take them for granted and having DVC people casually mention to those people walking away from a DVC booth that it's not worth it?

I totally understand that. They are MUCH nicer to AP holders than the used to be, though, I can say. I went a few years without one, and boy it's different now. The merchandise discount is awesome. Before you just got a discount at a few table service restaurants (mostly in World Showcase) and that was mostly it.

With DVC, again, though - it's a win win for Disney no matter what. DVC owners are locked in for 50+ years, so if they revolt, the only thing they can do is resell their membership to someone else. Either way, Disney is gettin' paid.

That said, that's what I am assuming the thought process is - not what I think is "right".

Marketing doesn't even think about DVC/AP holders, though, I'm afraid. The reason, say, a local convenience store gives people "coffee cards" (get your card punched each time you buy a coffee, ten punches gets you a free one, for example), is to build your loyalty. So you keep going to that one. Most of us only are able to visit one Disney resort regularly, and it's not like we can visit some place else instead (like you could at a local convenience store). I mean, there is Universal, and many of us enjoy them as well - but it's not some place you can spend a full week at, and they don't have the Haunted Mansion.

It would sure be nice if they did reward us, though. :sohappy:

captainkidd

I guess I am not really understanding the whole 24 hours..

On a good night - you can stay at the MK until the wee hours of the morning.

Exactly.

I'm not disappointed in the news because I wasn't expecting anything. Disney lost touch with it's die hard fan base years ago. This is sort of like the "get in free for your birthday" thing. It's a marketing ploy aimed at people who don't think things all the way through.

AEfx

I guess I am not really understanding the whole 24 hours..

On a good night - you can stay at the MK until the wee hours of the morning.

Only if you go at busy times. Most time in the "off" season, it closes at 9PM.

AFAIK, this is the only way to legitimately spend all night in the park, which I know many of us have dreamed of.

Only thing is, if it's done at 6AM, won't see sunrise there. :(

lt94

Orlando news

Disney World is holding a new kind of marathon this year. For the first time, its Magic Kingdom theme park will be open for business for 24 consecutive hours. Guests will be welcome from 6 a.m. on Feb. 29 to 6 a.m. on March 1. The leap-day news was made public Saturday evening during "________ Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve With Ryan Seacrest" telecast on Disney-owned ABC.

The promotion, called "One More Disney Day," revolves around the idea that there is an extra day of theme parking in a leap year. Disneyland Park in California also will operate for 24 consecutive hours that day.

Walt Disney Co. also announced that it will hold a 60-day sweepstakes with a daily winner receiving a vacation for four people to Disney World or Disneyland. The contest, entered by text message and other methods, runs Jan. 1 to Feb. 29. (Details and official rules will be found at http://www.OneMoreDisneyDay.com.)

Also attached to the Feb. 29 event will be a hotel offer. Guests with three-day room and ticket deals will receive a fourth day and night free at select Disney Co. resorts. Reservations must be made by Jan. 31, and the offer is valid for most arrivals between Feb. 26 and March 10.

Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, announced the theme parks will extend the "Let the Memories Begin" campaign through 2012 and said that the Feb. 29 open-all-night stint was a celebration of that. It's "so that our guests can take advantage of every minute of their extra day to make memories with friends and family," he said in a news release.

dcibrando

IMHO - Disney is gonna have to get their heads out of their you know what and quit thinking just because they are Disney the status quo will be enough to always be the Florida theme park winner. Now I'm not sure the other parks will ever "beat" in attendance but they are already pulling families away for a day or more... So Disney it's your turn to make a move....and this announcement was a waste

lebeau

I actually went to Disney’s website to play around with the offer. Something weird happened. If I bought an 8-day base ticket instead of a 4-day ticket, it brought the price of the package down. Which was really weird because I was only looking at a 4-night stay. I have to think this is some kind of bug in the system. Just FYI in case anyone wants to try exploiting it!

DisneyJunkie

We were already planning on a trip for September, but thought 'hey, maybe this announcement is about some special deal going on the whole year'......and that wasn't it. To call what they did a 'special announcement' is really an insult. It's a crappy deal compared to the one a few years back when they had the "buy 4 night vacation package and get 3 nights free" deal. Now THAT was something to brag about. This one day of 24 hours of Magic Kingdom is piddly.

bhg469

I am with the majority of the people here. I fully expected the 24 hour announcement but never thought that would be the biggest announcement. Who can plan a trip in just 30 days to take advantage of this offer? I knew they would do a promotion with room and park involved but this one is very weak. Poor job by their marketing department.

We were already planning on a trip for September, but thought 'hey, maybe this announcement is about some special deal going on the whole year'......and that wasn't it. To call what they did a 'special announcement' is really an insult. It's a crappy deal compared to the one a few years back when they had the "buy 4 night vacation package and get 3 nights free" deal. Now THAT was something to brag about. This one day of 24 hours of Magic Kingdom is piddly.

I agree. I expected it to be something for the entire year. Granted, they've alreayd offered some pretty hefty discounts for Jan - March, but it just seemed that will all the hype, there would be something bigger than one extra day of lodging and tickets--and my understanding is that if you have the dining package, you're paying for that extra day of dining yourself. It's a nice option for people who missed out on the original promos, I suppose.

I have to admit, I wouldn't mind being in the MK for 24-hours just to say I did it.

lebeau

I wouldn’t be overly surprised if Disney extends this offer into the spring and even summer months depending on the early response. The thing is, it’s not a very good offer when you run the numbers. And they can extend it with some fanfare “due to popular demand”.

llrain

Now wait a second here. We dont expect an earth shaking announcement, but when quote, Something BIG is coming is said from the Disney CO's mouth itsself they are setting themselves up for expectations beyond our simple notion of curiosity.

secondly you are missing the point of this whole dilema. I think, we all as long time fans, feel that there once was a time where DIsney was a creative force of genious's who year after year derived awesome, creative, inspired promotions and commercials and with this crap they are dreaming up is, well, crap.
Bottom line is that we, the die hard, cant just accept what they have become and always hold onto what was once a great force of creativity and each time
there is something new coming we pray that the creativeness surfaces and are yet again let down.

REALLY!!!

As in what sooo many folks here (and elsewhere) have said was going to happen.

What did you expect? A fifth theme park? A new E-Ticket for every park? For any park? The return of Horizons? A new show featuring the Orange Bird?

Why do people set themselves up for disappointment? Disney is never going to announce something truly HUGE that is ever going to not be leaked or known by some insiders who will let it slip and wind up places like this!

~Welcome to 2012: Let the Spirit's MAGIC envelop you!~

muse1983

I wasn't expecting anything huge by any stretch of the imagination...but since you can be in the parks until sometimes 2-3 am on certain nights to begin with, it's really not a big deal. I guess the only cool part will be if you chose to stay all night, I have a feeling the park is going to be deserted between 3-6 am.

sambahat

Now wait a second here. We dont expect an earth shaking announcement, but when quote, Something BIG is coming is said from the Disney CO's mouth itsself they are setting themselves up for expectations beyond our simple notion of curiosity.

secondly you are missing the point of this whole dilema. I think, we all as long time fans, feel that there once was a time where DIsney was a creative force of genious's who year after year derived awesome, creative, inspired promotions and commercials and with this crap they are dreaming up is, well, crap.
Bottom line is that we, the die hard, cant just accept what they have become and always hold onto what was once a great force of creativity and each time
there is something new coming we pray that the creativeness surfaces and are yet again let down.
/\ This /\

DisneyJoe

I wouldn’t be overly surprised if Disney extends this offer into the spring and even summer months depending on the early response. The thing is, it’s not a very good offer when you run the numbers. And they can extend it with some fanfare “due to popular demand”.

Precisely.

bullsforthewin

Remember just because you think something is crap that does not mean everyone does...you may hate The Magic, the Memories and You light show but me and many others really liked it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom