New Year's Eve Announcement?

WorldofMotion34

You are right. They don't care about their product anymore. It is all about catering to the lowest common denominator. Why care when they have people on fansites defending their every cheap move? Why care when they have their social media zombies praising their every cheap move? Why care when they send out their hawks and cheerleaders to shout down those who bring to light their DECLINE??? We see and hear it all the time, how TDO knows what they are doing and how great every move they make is... With those kinds of attitudes, why should they care? Why should they change?
Exaclty, that kind of ________ needs to stop. We want the parks to improve, but the apologists and drones that continue to praise everything TDO does, will continue to play a part in the declining of the parks quality.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Below is the reply to my email which 1. specifically asked why after promoting an announcement at 11pm et, there was no announcement, 2. Did not ask for information about the promotions, and 3. Made no indication I was traveling to Disney.

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

You will be happy to know that this first-of-its-kind bicoastal event
will provide more time, more magic and more memories on February 29th.

For the first time, Disneyland in Anaheim, California, and Magic Kingdom
in Orlando, Florida, will provide Guests with “One More Disney Day” to
make memories as the two parks stay open for a 24-hour Leap Day
celebration on February 29th.

The bicoastal celebration, which was announced on “________ Clark’s New
Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest,” will run from 6 a.m. (local
time) Wednesday, February 29th, to 6 a.m., Thursday, March 1st. __Any
ticket that is valid for one-day admission to the respective park,
including annual or seasonal passes, will be valid for the event. ____

In addition, from January 1st through February 29th, one Guest will be
chosen daily in the __“Disney Parks Memories Sweepstakes” to receive a
Disney vacation at either Disneyland Resort or Walt Disney World Resort.

For the past year, Disney has invited Guests to “Let the Memories Begin”
by sharing their only-at-Disney memories online at
DisneyParks.com/memories. The “One More Disney Day” event continues the
campaign into 2012 in an effort to ensure that Guests experience the
quality and promise of the Disney brand in new ways, while making
magical memories that last a lifetime. __

The 24-hour celebration also will include special offers on vacation
packages for Guests to receive “One More Disney Day” free when they buy
select room and ticket packages at select Walt Disney World Resort or
Disneyland Resort hotels. __More information for Guests about the “One
More Disney Day” event can be found at OneMoreDisneyDay.com.

The Walt Disney World Resort periodically offers special resort programs
as a courtesy to our guests. As resort offerings are heavily advertised
worldwide through both print and broadcast media, we encourage you to
watch for advertisements regarding resort specials through your local
media sources. In addition, we encourage you to visit our website at
disneyworld.com for information about our special offers.

Most specials are found directly on our website. Our website address is:
www.disneyworld.com

If you prefer live assistance, may we suggest you contact the Disney
Reservation Center directly by calling 407-W-DISNEY (407-934-7639).
Special programs are offered on a first-come, first-served basis and are
subject to availability.

Paul, we look forward to creating lasting memories and magical
experiences during your visit to the Walt Disney World Resort!

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact
us.

Please include your full name, E-Mail address, and reservation number if
applicable on all correspondence.

Sincerely,

Lance Carter
WDW Online Communications

WDW1974

Wow, Lance, you don't read so good. But you sure know how to fill in the blanks on a form letter...

Just a whole lot of disrespect for the intelligence of guests in general ... and the writer, in particular.

It IS how most major American companies choose to operate today, sadly.

They know they can get away with it, and they do.

TP2000

Any guesses as to when Disney plans on releasing more details on the event?

Al Lutz had this to say about this question today...

EDITOR’S NOTE 1/3-4: Wondering why there are no details for the 24 hour Leap Year party, like Fantasmic or fireworks schedules, overnight entertainment and dining, attractions maintenance closures, etc? It's because they're still trying to figure out the logistical nightmare brought on after this plan was hatched by Marketing gurus with no knowledge of park operations, especially in California where ride maintenance is now regulated by the state. Check back in a few weeks when they may have an idea how this will all work. - Al Lutz

I'm sure there will be some Disney Parks Blog info about specifics later in February.

But it is pretty obvious they don't know any of the details or plans for this event. They couldn't have been more vague if they tried with their NYE announcement. :rolleyes:

Bolna

Below is the reply to my email which 1. specifically asked why after promoting an announcement at 11pm et, there was no announcement, 2. Did not ask for information about the promotions, and 3. Made no indication I was traveling to Disney.

The whole email is disturbing, but this paragraph is just utter nonsense:

For the past year, Disney has invited Guests to “Let the Memories Begin”
by sharing their only-at-Disney memories online at
DisneyParks.com/memories. The “One More Disney Day” event continues the
campaign into 2012 in an effort to ensure that Guests experience the
quality and promise of the Disney brand in new ways, while making
magical memories that last a lifetime.

How does a marketing campaign "ensure that Guests experience the quality and promise of the Disney brand in new ways"???

What new ways are they talking about - especially what is new about continuing a marketing campaign?

How do you experience a promise??

Does anyone at Disney really believe that stuff???

:brick:

COProgressFan

The whole email is disturbing, but this paragraph is just utter nonsense:

How does a marketing campaign "ensure that Guests experience the quality and promise of the Disney brand in new ways"???

What new ways are they talking about - especially what is new about continuing a marketing campaign?

How do you experience a promise??

Does anyone at Disney really believe that stuff???

:brick:

Does anyone else think that "ensure that Guests experience the quality and promise of the Disney brand in new ways" is a very odd way to speak to a guest who emailed with a question? It is pure meaningless marketing babble and seems to be more suitable to a boardroom of idiots than something you would say to a guest.

I know certain Spirits have been talking about the ridiculousness of the concept of the Disney "brand" trumping actual quality -- To me, talking to your customers about the "brand" itself seems like something you just shouldn't do.

Communicore

There better be more details on this, particularly the food situation. I don't want to depend on those stacked sandwiches and/or cinnamon rolls - I want real food at 3 am, so they better have Cosmic's and Peco's open. Also I would want a whip too. :ROFLOL:

disney fan 13

Al Lutz had this to say about this question today...

I'm sure there will be some Disney Parks Blog info about specifics later in February.

But it is pretty obvious they don't know any of the details or plans for this event. They couldn't have been more vague if they tried with their NYE announcement. :rolleyes:

well lutz is right on this one

Bolna

Does anyone else think that "ensure that Guests experience the quality and promise of the Disney brand in new ways" is a very odd way to speak to a guest who emailed with a question? It is pure meaningless marketing babble and seems to be more suitable to a boardroom of idiots than something you would say to a guest.

I know certain Spirits have been talking about the ridiculousness of the concept of the Disney "brand" trumping actual quality -- To me, talking to your customers about the "brand" itself seems like something you just shouldn't do.

Oh, yes that as well! But if you read the Disney Parks Blog regularly, it is amazing what kind of nonsense they write there and seemingly it appears to be acceptable. Don't people notice how false a lot of it sounds?

Mouse Detective

Oh, yes that as well! But if you read the Disney Parks Blog regularly, it is amazing what kind of nonsense they write there and seemingly it appears to be acceptable. Don't people notice how false a lot of it sounds?

It appears acceptable because comments are moderated. If a comment is overly negative, it doesn't get posted so you don't see it!

Alektronic

If you think that sounds like nonsense, you should see some of the internal communication. Here is a portion from Tom Staggs to CM's :

"2011 was a truly special year, full of amazing adventure and success by any measure. As we’ve seen throughout this year and especially during this holiday season – demonstrated by strong, and in some cases record-breaking attendance – our destinations are more popular than ever."

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If you think that sounds like nonsense, you should see some of the internal communication. Here is a portion from Tom Staggs to CM's :

"2011 was a truly special year, full of amazing adventure and success by any measure. As we’ve seen throughout this year and especially during this holiday season – demonstrated by strong, and in some cases record-breaking attendance – our destinations are more popular than ever."

:hurl: :hurl: :hurl:

I hate management-speak almost as much as marketing-speak.

COProgressFan

I think both customers and employees appreciate being spoken to like a person. For some reason, however, corporations and large organizations often seem to go out of their way to make everything seems so contrived and ridiculous.

As someone else mentioned, it's especially jarring in Disney social media. If the point is to communicate with guests on a more personal level to improve their relationship with the brand, why wouldn't you speak to them like regular people?

WDW1974

No, you shouldn't.

Of course, there was a time when Disney would NEVER refer to itself (even internally) as a BRAND. Disney was special. Disney was unique. Disney was MAGICal (OK, maybe not that one).

But now Disney is all about selling the brand. And BRANDING is everything now, no matter how ridiculous. Like removing the possessive from DCA because 'Disney California Adventure' just rolls off the tongue as naturally as can be. Or ESPN on ABC. Or ... just ridiculous.

There is a method to the madness, though. And you can find it in the fan community and the blogosphere and on Disney podcasts and self-published leaflets that some people think are books. You hook people on the BRAND like some Pixie Dust addiction.

And then those addicts love everything you say is part of the BRAND. I saw lots of this when Disney bought Marvel. People that couldn't care less about those characters (which are a GODAWFUL fit for Disney) suddenly changed their tune. Mickey, Goofy, Pooh, Snow White, Peter Pan, Buzz Lightyear and ... the Hulk!:ROFLOL: Those same addicts likely wouldn't enjoy visiting IOA because it is evil UNI ... and those awful Marvel attractions like Hulk, like Dr. Doom, like Spidey are there. But now ... well, they must be so torn ... like a fa...nevermind.

~I like Bucky!~

WDW1974

I think both customers and employees appreciate being spoken to like a person. For some reason, however, corporations and large organizations often seem to go out of their way to make everything seems so contrived and ridiculous.

As someone else mentioned, it's especially jarring in Disney social media. If the point is to communicate with guests on a more personal level to improve their relationship with the brand, why wouldn't you speak to them like regular people?

I bolded the phrase that nails the point. It isn't just Disney, of course. Much of corporate America today deals in a nonsensical universe of babble that goes out of its way to not actually say a thing.

But Disney is absolutely the worst when it comes to this blatant push at being so smarmy and false. When I ask a question, I want an answer. An adult answer. I am not a victim of arrested development. I don't want to be told to have a MAGICal day. I don't want to be welcomed home. I want real and honest. And not contrived and ridiculous.

That would REQUIRE speaking to folks like they were real intelligent beings. This is so much easier.

As to Disney's goals in Social Media ... well, I stirred up a hornet's nest (vipers?) last summer by addressing the point head on in anotherdisneyplace. But it isn't designed to get REAL feedback from guests/customers or to engage them in a real dialogue. It's all propaganda and it's really quite insidious. And it's designed to make discussions like this either disappear entirely or become nothing but background noise as Disney controls more of the message.

At least that's what Lou Mongello told me. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

~I REALLY Like Bucky's sister!~

mickeysaver

I have a feeling this will be correct to a degree as well, but hopefully they give a bit more. I also hope that do have the insight to keep at least one quick serve eatery open throughout most of the night (I guess I could understand shutting down Pecos Bills at 3 or 4 am). As of now it looks like I am going to be there (hopefully crowds aren't too bad) and I am interested in seeing how this turns out. I sincerely hope this doesn't turn into another 40th anniversary mess which was probably one of the worst days I have ever spent in WDW.

They had better be prepared to feed people overnight. The temps will be low. The sleep deprived loonies, like me (hopefully), will be fighting to stay awake. All of those folks are going to need some "real" food to keep them tanked up and going through the wee smalls.

As for the 40th, don't even get me started. :fork:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom