new Universal resorts named and up dates

Rob562

Does anyone know how the regular rooms and suites are grouped in the buildings of Surfside Inn?

Over at Cabana Bay each sub-section of the Continental and Americana wings is either all normal rooms or all suites. (You can tell by looking at the windows and see where the colored accent panel is located) I was wondering which parts of Surfside have which type of room.

-Rob

OG Runner

[B]bioreconstruct[/B]‏ @[B]bioreconstruct[/B] 18
Aerial view of Universal's Endless Summer Resort, with Surfside Inn at center of photo, Dockside Inn under construction across Universal Blvd.
View attachment 409320
Aerial overview of Universal's Dockside Inn. At center is the lobby building, with adjacent parking garage.
View attachment 409321
Aerial view of Universal's Dockside Inn. The second room tower is rising at right, foundations for its wings are seen.
View attachment 409322

Aerial view of construction so far at Universal's Dockside Inn. Note the currently open land at left, along International Drive.
View attachment 409329
Aerial view of Universal's Surfside Inn.
View attachment 409333
All built with construction quality usually reserved for a parking garage.

OG Runner

I am curious, (big surprise), but is there a way to obtain an answer to Corey P's question? Is there somewhere that records the
occupancy rates of the hotels in the Orlando area? Not just Universal or Disney, but something to give us an idea of the effect
of the new hotels being added in the area.

rd805

I am curious, (big surprise), but is there a way to obtain an answer to Corey P's question? Is there somewhere that records the
occupancy rates of the hotels in the Orlando area? Not just Universal or Disney, but something to give us an idea of the effect
of the new hotels being added in the area.

Just a guess though -- they wouldn't keep building space if their current inventory had tons of free rooms. They also need to prepare themselves for what crowds will look like when the new park is open (and Disney with all the new rides being finally added).

trr1

Original Poster
my thought is that Uni is building these two value resorts to try and put out of business the surrounding low priced hotels. Then they can buy the properties and try to get as much connecting land to try and join the sites via a skyway like Disney is using

trr1

Original Poster
[B]bioreconstruct[/B]‏ @[B]bioreconstruct[/B]
Paint starting on exterior of the lobby building in Universal's Dockside Inn.

2nd tower continues to rise in Universal's Dockside Inn.

2nd tower continues to rise in Universal's Dockside Inn.

Current paint at Universal's Dockside Inn. Side at right faces the lobby building. Seen from Universal Blvd.

Current paint at first tower of Universal's Dockside Inn. Side at left faces International Drive.

trr1

Original Poster
Universal's Endless Summer Resort – Dockside Inn and Suites, is scheduled to open in March 2020.

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct
November 10th

Aerial overview of Universal's Dockside Inn. Lobby building at center of two large towers. 2,050 guest rooms including 1,113 2-Bedroom Suites. Opens in March.
1573503918655.png

Aerial view of what seems to be foundations for a 2nd parking garage at Universal's Dockside Inn.
1573503959535.png

Aerial view of second tower under construction in Universal's Dockside Inn. Lobby building at right.
1573503990392.png

Aerial view of construction of Universal's Dockside Inn.
1573504024037.png

Aerial view of Universal Orlando's Endless Summer Resort. Dockside Inn under construction at top, and Surfside Inn in foreground.
1573504059550.png

Aerial view of Dockside Inn construction at Universal Orlando Resort.
1573504104025.png

Aerial view of Endless Summer Resort in Universal Orlando Resort. On horizon, Cabana Bay Beach Resort, Aventura Hotel.
1573504174075.png

Last edited:

Rob562

We stayed at Surfside a couple weeks ago. We were booked into a standard room but got a free upgrade to a family suite (aaallllll the way at the far end of Tower 2...)

Short-version review is that it was nice, but *very* value... If this were our only option for future trips we'd stay there, but would vastly prefer to stay at Cabana Bay or Sapphire Falls.

The extra space of the suite was nice to have, but for just one couple in the room the three beds were definitely overkill. Even if we were traveling with a friend, I think I'd prefer to have the living room and bathroom layout of Cabana's suites over the extra bedroom of Surfside.

Bus service was adequate, and I fully expect the two Endless Summer resorts to share buses. (Side note, the moving of Uber/Lyft pickups at the garages makes a HUGE difference for hotel guests using the buses)

Service at Surfside was a bit hit-or-miss. When we arrived at midday there were only two people working the front desk, and one of them was involved with a complex issue a guest was having with their package reservation. When another person finally showed up, they had to go staff the luggage desk because people were waiting.

Housekeeping was a bit lackluster, too. Floors had only been given a cursory cleaning. Bare feet encountered crumbs under the table and edges of the counter, betraying that the housekeeper hadn't pulled out chairs to sweep or get under the open counter/table.
We'd gotten down to the last few tissues, indicated by them switching from white to colored. The housekeeper failed to change the box, so we quickly ran out. Next day the empty box was taken but not replaced, and the trash was emptied but a new bag not put in its place.

Oh, and the towels... Yeesh! Thin, sandpaperey, yuck. We've had better towels at EconoLodge or Motel 6...

Lastly the designated ride-share pickup area. If they want people to use it, they need to provide benches and cover from sun and rain. We followed the signs to it for our pickup to the airport (and the Uber app even directed us there), but our driver went to the main lobby anyway. He said that of the half dozen pickups he's made there, we were the first to actually go where we were supposed to.

Overall not horrible, but these Endless Summer hotels will likely be our last-choice option, probably even after Aventura.

(And before you ask, yes I did relay all of this in my post-visit survey from the hotel)

Edit to add: Totally forgot about the evening we came back late from Horror Nights to find the TVs weren't working, nor was wifi. Trying to call the front desk showed the phones weren't working either. (Obviously all connected as one system) Used cell phone to call number listed on room phone, was told the systems were out in all of Tower 2 and that they were working on it. They were back up and running by morning.

-Rob

Last edited:

trr1

Original Poster
We stayed at Surfside a couple weeks ago. We were booked into a standard room but got a free upgrade to a family suite (aaallllll the way at the far end of Tower 2...)

Short-version review is that it was nice, but *very* value... If this were our only option for future trips we'd stay there, but would vastly prefer to stay at Cabana Bay or Sapphire Falls.

The extra space of the suite was nice to have, but for just one couple in the room the three beds were definitely overkill. Even if we were traveling with a friend, I think I'd prefer to have the living room and bathroom layout of Cabana's suites over the extra bedroom of Surfside.

Bus service was adequate, and I fully expect the two Endless Summer resorts to share buses. (Side note, the moving of Uber/Lyft pickups at the garages makes a HUGE difference for hotel guests using the buses)

Service at Surfside was a bit hit-or-miss. When we arrived at midday there were only two people working the front desk, and one of them was involved with a complex issue a guest was having with their package reservation. When another person finally showed up, they had to go staff the luggage desk because people were waiting.

Housekeeping was a bit lackluster, too. Floors had only been given a cursory cleaning. Bare feet encountered crumbs under the table and edges of the counter, betraying that the housekeeper hadn't pulled out chairs to sweep or get under the open counter/table.
We'd gotten down to the last few tissues, indicated by them switching from white to colored. The housekeeper failed to change the box, so we quickly ran out. Next day the empty box was taken but not replaced, and the trash was emptied but a new bag not put in its place.

Oh, and the towels... Yeesh! Thin, sandpaperey, yuck. We've had better towels at EconoLodge or Motel 6...

Lastly the designated ride-share pickup area. If they want people to use it, they need to provide benches and cover from sun and rain. We followed the signs to it for our pickup to the airport (and the Uber app even directed us there), but our driver went to the main lobby anyway. He said that of the half dozen pickups he's made there, we were the first to actually go where we were supposed to.

Overall not horrible, but these Endless Summer hotels will likely be our last-choice option, probably even after Aventura.

(And before you ask, yes I did relay all of this in my post-visit survey from the hotel)

Edit to add: Totally forgot about the evening we came back late from Horror Nights to find the TVs weren't working, not was wifi. Trying to call the front desk showed the phones weren't working either. (Obviously all connected as one system) Used cell phone to call number listed on room phone, was told the systems were out in all of Tower 2 and that they were working on it. They were back up and running by morning.

-Rob
thanks for the review, where is tower 2 located? the parking garage side or the side facing dock side

Rob562

thanks for the review, where is tower 2 located? the parking garage side or the side facing dock side

Tower 2 is the parking garage side. Our room faced toward the parks, and had we been higher up we might've had a decent (albeit distant) view of Volcano Bay, Royal Pacific and Islands. But since we were 3rd floor it was mostly the parking garage, support building and the staff parking and loading dock.

PANO_20191029_125946.vr.jpg

-Rob

OG Runner

So, pretty much confirming what we previously thought, these are value resorts. They are not the Portofino or the Pacifica.
If you are looking for an inexpensive stay with less of the amenities, they may be for you. If you figure you want to spend
more money in the parks than stay near them. These may be for you.

The_Jobu

So, pretty much confirming what we previously thought, these are value resorts. They are not the Portofino or the Pacifica.
If you are looking for an inexpensive stay with less of the amenities, they may be for you. If you figure you want to spend
more money in the parks than stay near them. These may be for you.

At these prices? Giddy up I'm ready to go.

Animaniac93-98

Edit to add: Totally forgot about the evening we came back late from Horror Nights to find the TVs weren't working, nor was wifi. Trying to call the front desk showed the phones weren't working either. (Obviously all connected as one system) Used cell phone to call number listed on room phone, was told the systems were out in all of Tower 2 and that they were working on it. They were back up and running by morning.

-Rob

Thanks for the review. Knowing this I probably wouldn't choose to stay there. Sounds like the Disney Value resorts which are cheap for them, but not always a true value.

Because of Hotwire I paid less to stay at the DoubleTree than what Universal was asking for Surfside which had larger standard rooms and I could walk or take their own shuttle to the parks. The Holiday Inn directly South of DoubleTree also seems like a better choice.

trr1

Original Poster
Thanks for the review. Knowing this I probably wouldn't choose to stay there. Sounds like the Disney Value resorts which are cheap for them, but not always a true value.

Because of Hotwire I paid less to stay at the DoubleTree than what Universal was asking for Surfside which had larger standard rooms and I could walk or take their own shuttle to the parks. The Holiday Inn directly South of DoubleTree also seems like a better choice.
what perks did they offer?

Animaniac93-98

what perks did they offer?

If you book through Universal, you'll get early entry even if you stay at the DoubleTree or Holiday Inn as they're both "partner hotels".

I didn't so the only park specific perks I got were complimentary bus service (book a day ahead) and a separate desk for attraction tickets (Universal, Disney, SeaWorld etc). DoubleTree does not charge a resort fee, but they do for overnight parking.

The_Jobu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom