New Train Station Sign

Tom P.

It's all good as long as you can keep it civil and don't start screaming for a mod to lock it because you think it's useless/silly.
Thank you. I always try to be civil, even if I occasionally do let a little snark sneak in while making a point. If I have been uncivil to anyone in this discussion, I would be happy if someone would point it out to me so I can apologize.

The_Jobu

Are you deliberately trying to be a jerk? Seriously. I'm asking for real, I'd appreciate a real answer.

My message had a point, and it was well beyond "I don't care," but you ignored that to snip at me for daring to post my message. I then replied to you, trying to be as nice as possible, and re-explained the point that I was making and why I chose to explain it in the way that I did. You again have chosen to ignore what I said, instead again implying that I should have just minded my own business and stayed out of this precious thread.

Unless and until I am told by a moderator here that I am doing something against the rules, I will continue to post in whichever threads I choose with whatever content I choose. If you would like to put me on ignore so that you don't have to waste your time, feel free. You won't hurt my feelings one bit.
But if I put you on ignore how will I know which topics are worth discussing?

I don't dare take that chance.

Actually, I think it's safer if I add you to my follow list.

Tom P.

But if I put you on ignore how will I know which topics are worth discussing?

I don't dare take that chance.

Actually, I think it's safer if I add you to my follow list.
I suppose I should have known better than to try and engage someone who seemed to be trolling. It just never accomplishes anything. Welcome to my followers. I hope you enjoy keeping an eye on my posts. I've added you to my ignore list, so I won't be engaging you any longer. I hope it works out well for both of us.

The_Jobu

I suppose I should have known better than to try and engage someone who seemed to be trolling. It just never accomplishes anything. Welcome to my follow list. I hope you enjoy keeping an eye on my posts. I've added you to my ignore list, so I won't be engaging you any longer. I hope it works out well for both of us.

I'm sure it will. It's always easier to ignore people when you can't make a counter point beyond "I don't care about this".

The rest of wdwmagic will just have to carry on, somehow...

The Empress Lilly

Interesting! And it doesn't look like the original sign made space for elevation and population. And yet at Disneyland they had been including that info on the train station sign since 1956, 15 years before WDW opened in '71. The first figure Disneyland put up there was a population of 5 Million in the summer of 1956.

Disneyland kept updating the population annually, and here's that sign in 1965, when Disneyland hit 50 Million guests during the Tencennial, just before Walt announced the Florida Project.
LgNeg_12_65_MSTS1.jpg

Since Disneyland had added the Population and Elevation to their sign in 1956, and updated the population figure regularly for 15 years before WDW opened, I would have to think the 1971 sign didn't have that info on it because they had no population yet. I would imagine the WDW sign was updated with population, and a symmetrical elevation figure on the opposite end of the sign, sometime around 1972 or '73.
Look at them thar ugly fence!

*points and laughs at Disneyland*

Oh, wait...we got one too nowadays. Another advantage lost.

At some point, the better behaved WDW crowd was replaced by a worse mob than the sometimes difficult big city crowd of DL. This is one side-effect of losing the detail, replacing the historical placemaking, the sophisticated environment, for an environment driven by big bright colour, flash, brand, celeb and toon culture. You both draw an audience placed lower on the cultural ladder, and your audience behaves less respectful towards your cheapened environment. Cut your trees for astroturf, replace Jules Verne for a celeb toon selfie cellar, and you need to built a fence around your flower bed.
magic-kingdom-entrance.jpg

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

OCD not required just the powers of observation that any good news photographer would have at a familiar venue.
Again, it isn't that it is noticed that identifies the OCD. Everyone notices things most of the time. It is the over reaction to the change that identifies OCD. Most people might comment and say.. look they changed the sign, anyone want a Mickey Bar? OCD would say... look they changed the sign, my life and memories are now ruined, things are not where the should be, they are pushing Walt out. (Still don't see that connection) and so on. To try and clarify, everyone washes their hands when they think or know that they are dirty. OCD people wash them and then wash them again and again because they must be cleaned and they never are clean enough. But, noticing that hands need washing is not OCD, that is part of life.

JoeCamel

Again, it isn't that it is noticed that identifies the OCD. Everyone notices things most of the time. It is the over reaction to the change that identifies OCD. Most people might comment and say.. look they changed the sign, anyone want a Mickey Bar? OCD would say... look they changed the sign, my life and memories are now ruined, things are not where the should be, they are pushing Walt out. (Still don't see that connection) and so on. To try and clarify, everyone washes their hands when they think or know that they are dirty. OCD people wash them and then wash them again and again because they must be cleaned and they never are clean enough. But, noticing that hands need washing is not OCD, that is part of life.
Takes one to know one?

The_Jobu

It's still not OCD, it's a reaction to a sign. For the classic example of handwashing, it's not the constant washing, it's the obsession that NOT washing will lead to terrible things and therefore a compulsion to act (wash) even though part of them knows nothing bad will happen. It is a terrible and debilitating disease that hijacks a person's mind and body. It's nothing like "something changed and I don't like it so I must complain".

I agree with you otherwise, I just don't like that term bandied about.

lazyboy97o

For someone who lectures about facts and the real world, what you keep ranting about is not obsessive compulsive disorder. Good, reliable sources offer a basic definition and symptoms online.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's still not OCD, it's a reaction to a sign. For the classic example of handwashing, it's not the constant washing, it's the obsession that NOT washing will lead to terrible things and therefore a compulsion to act (wash) even though part of them knows nothing bad will happen. It is a terrible and debilitating disease that hijacks a person's mind and body. It's nothing like "something changed and I don't like it so I must complain".

I agree with you otherwise, I just don't like that term bandied about.

As for almost everything the context counts as for handwashing both food service and medicine are areas where frequent handwashing is a good and required thing without any OCD tendencies and both are areas where bad things can and will happen if you do not frequently wash.

jt04

I think the old school sign looks much better. Population and elevation were a bit too gimmicky. Never cared for that change at WDW.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Takes one to know one?

NOT....takes one who has experience with others who have it to recognize it for what it is....I actually know a lot of people who suffer from OCD.....while I do not have it personally, I understand how it impacts the people I love....and while there are common traits it cannot be confined to a few simple understandings. EVERY case of OCD is different, the most common form is intrusive thoughts but is largely unknown or recognized as it cannot be shown on a television show because its not an observed phenomena its barely known or understood unless you have encountered it and or live with it on a frequent basis. What you can SEE is behavioral OCD, just right ocd, counting ocd....etc etc....It is not logical, often is all or nothing thinking, and can be very debilitating to the sufferer. I can see where some ocd people love Disney simply because in their minds it's "just right".....and yes a sign change could produce some ocd reactions ....;but to lump everyone into ocd who love details and conclude someone has it simply because of a few message board posts would be ignorant at best. Just Sayin'.......o_O.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Oh and personally I prefer the older sign too.....looked more balanced in my opinion. There are so many things I love love love about the Magic Kingdom but most of them are INSIDE the park itself. Thanks for sharing the new signage.....my railfan in the family would agree that train station signs have not used the word THE.....and I have no idea if they usually include population but I liked that small detail. C'est la vie.....some things are going to be harder to swallow and the recent addition to the HOP tops my list. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom