New Train Station Sign

NearTheEars

At this point I'm not sure if everyone is joking, or people are really in tears over a new sign...you never know on this site.

It's likely "the last straw" for many. At least after their next visit. Well, definitely not worth going until Star Wars. .... wait, no they'll need to see Pandora. Oh, and there's that reunion trip already booked too.

But no, they are most certainly done with WDW.

Father Robinson

Gosh, I do so wish that my life was so uncomplicated that I could find one single, solitary reason to give half a crap. But, as said by someone... not getting dramatic or anything. BTW, it's OK to like something or not like something, but, where it gets ridiculous is when it gets all laced with the non-existent drama. It's a sign, it tells you were you are. If you want to say it as 'The Magic Kingdom' no one is going to stop you. When that was all that was there, it was saying.. you have reached The (pronounced thee) Magic Kingdom. You don't say The Walt Disney World in the name do you? You don't say The Epcot, The Fantasyland, The Adventureland, The Spaceship Earth, The whatever your name is, do you? As far as the stuff listed on either end, how can anyone care. It is meaningless information. It was, however, est. in 1971.

Edit to correct a typo.
My guess is they're upset that Disney is (tink)ering with something that seems completely unnecessary. I think we subconsciously vew it as a reason to fear that since such a small thing is changed seemingly for just the sake of change, how are the bigger things that we love and care about safe? In our minds, who's to say they don't start adding more spires to the castle, or rename Crystal Pallace "Pooh's Poohfect Buffet"? I don't think it's the sign literally, I think it's the sign metaphorically.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's likely "the last straw" for many. At least after their next visit. Well, definitely not worth going until Star Wars. .... wait, no they'll need to see Pandora. Oh, and there's that reunion trip already booked too.

But no, they are most certainly done with WDW.

Some of us really DONT have the 'next trip' scheduled because of crap like this

Goofyernmost

It DOES MATTER just an example of trying to remove Walt's ideals from the company
Walt had been dead for 6 years before that was even built. How does that connect with Walt? If that is what is on the sign at DLR then that makes sense because it is then the Magic Kingdom at Disneyland. 'The' should never be part of a name. It is a useless word and it has no meaning at all. Why don't we just make up reasons to be upset with things that change. Oh, wait... that is what we are doing. Walt would have looked at it as plussing. You guys look at it like someone is kidnapping your Mother. Get a damn grip.

Goofyernmost

My guess is they're upset that Disney is (tink)ering with something that seems completely unnecessary. I think we subconsciously vew it as a reason to fear that since such a small thing is changed seemingly for just the sake of change, how are the bigger things that we love and care about safe? In our minds, who's to say they don't start adding more spires to the castle, or rename Crystal Pallace "Pooh's Poohfect Buffet"? I don't think it's the sign literally, I think it's the sign metaphorically.
If they can't change small things that everyone seems to cherish so much, how does anyone expect them to change big things. Refresh and update the parks and make improvements. Sounds more like a bunch of kids whining because someone took the last Popsicle. I guess everyone is right. Disney parks are not for adults... it seems that everyone is a child. I'm sorry, I have already spent way to much time on this extremely foolish issue. Go ahead and have at it. I'm out and in search of something worth talking about.

Otterhead

At this point I'm not sure if everyone is joking, or people are really in tears over a new sign...you never know on this site.
I've seen long rants from "super fans" over scuff marks on trash cans or burnt-out light bulbs, claiming that THIS is the last straw, that Walt is spinning in his grave, that it's a sure sign of WDW's decline, yada yada.

The new sign is just fine. It's less cluttered, cleaner, and easier to read. I've got no problem with it and it certainly won't impact my visits.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The old sign looked much better. Just another downgrade.

Yep and it's another example of Damniato Memoriae Another Iger act making Walt Disney and his Ideals an unperson in Today's Bob Iger company.

Just like Walt has been removed from the movie titles. The devolution of a company which was run with a different mindset to a mere 'BRAND' used to sell overpriced products and services.

Otterhead

Stopped visiting FL parks because of quality and service cuts this
Is just one more reason NOT to go back to the FL parks
youre_serious_futurama.gif

The_Jobu

An unfortunate change. The original was hype, always pointed out the elevation to family when visiting.

I wonder why it was made? They must have perceived some benefit.

yeti

Walt had been dead for 6 years before that was even built. How does that connect with Walt? If that is what is on the sign at DLR then that makes sense because it is then the Magic Kingdom at Disneyland. 'The' should never be part of a name. It is a useless word and it has no meaning at all. Why don't we just make up reasons to be upset with things that change. Oh, wait... that is what we are doing. Walt would have looked at it as plussing. You guys look at it like someone is kidnapping your Mother. Get a damn grip.

It doesn't connect with Walt personally but it is symbolic of the ongoing dumbing down of his brand.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It DOES MATTER just an example of trying to remove Walt's ideals from the company

Walt had been dead for 6 years before that was even built. How does that connect with Walt? If that is what is on the sign at DLR then that makes sense because it is then the Magic Kingdom at Disneyland. 'The' should never be part of a name. It is a useless word and it has no meaning at all. Why don't we just make up reasons to be upset with things that change. Oh, wait... that is what we are doing. Walt would have looked at it as plussing.

With regard to your response to @ford91exploder , my hunch is there might be a little confusion surrounding his statement regarding Walt. My own interpretation of what he said was that (even though Walt had passed away in 1966), ford91exploder was actually referring to Walt's "legacy" of attention to detail in all his parks.

As you mentioned, the omission of the word, "The" in the new sign, may be no big deal in itself; yet to some people, they may feel it's important to preserve historical accuracy. This is not to say that things can't evolve and change over time, but I agree with him that the actual (full) name of the park should probably remain unchanged.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom