New Tomorrowland Rock Paint Job

Matt_Black

It's supposed to be "the future that never was". When I envision what TL should look like, it should be sleek, clean with sweeping lines. it would need to have a simplistic, cohesive color scheme too. Right now it's a bit of a jumbled mess.

I imagine men on Mars, the manliest planet, doing manly things, like punching aliens in the face (if they have one). You know what they'd be punching them on? BIG MANLY ROCKS.

Next Big Thing

I imagine men on Mars, the manliest planet, doing manly things, like punching aliens in the face (if they have one). You know what they'd be punching them on? BIG MANLY ROCKS.
I hear the "Little Alien Men" think they're tough. I'll smack the sense into them so hard their heads will spin! Sad!

Disney4family

images
images

brihow

I think the biggest issue (as someone above mentioned) is that there are just too many different ideas going on. Space mountain remains the sleek white vision of the original, the new Carousel of Progress has the bright, primary 70's future feel, we still have some of the 90's pastel and metal stuff going on, and now apparently we are getting giant purple mineral rocks. JUST PICK ONE.

Matt_Black

I think the biggest issue (as someone above mentioned) is that there are just too many different ideas going on. Space mountain remains the sleek white vision of the original, the new Carousel of Progress has the bright, primary 70's future feel, we still have some of the 90's pastel and metal stuff going on, and now apparently we are getting giant purple mineral rocks. JUST PICK ONE.

The future is vast and contains infinite possibilities!

Matt_Black

If anyone asks me, I don't think Tomorrowland should focus so much on outer space. It's the land of the future. Not space.

Except that space travel is one of the go-to things that people think of when they think of what we're going to do in the future. It's been that way for at least 200 years, when old-timey writers wrote hilarious things about hot-air ballooning to the moon and having picnics with faeries and stuff.

Disney4family

If anyone asks me, I don't think Tomorrowland should focus so much on outer space. It's the land of the future. Not space.
I guess people think of space since they've experienced these attractions in that section of the park -
  • Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin.
  • Astro Orbiter (Star Jets)
  • Space Mountain
  • Flight to the Moon
  • The Space Bar (a former restaurant)
  • Mission to Mars
  • ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter
  • Auntie Gravity's Galactic Goodies
  • Cool Ship
  • Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe
  • The Lunching Pad at Rockettower Plaza
  • Buzz's Star Command
  • Merchant of Venus
  • Mickey's Star Traders
  • Space Mountain Shop
(This is what Wikipedia says about the color scheme. We know it's not the most reliable source, but...)

This Tomorrowland somewhat resembled Disneyland's Tomorrowland at the time, with large white buildings and clean geometric shapes. The triangular buildings at Disneyland were fully realized, and the opening of the Tomorrowland here had two enormous pylons which cascaded water down into the castle moat. Complimenting the Pylons were two large blue triangular walls which also released water into the moat. These waterfalls were often shut off as the slightest change of wind could spray water all over guests. In the early 80's the Waterfalls were turned off for good, and a large mosaic was painted on the blue walls, and some blue stripes were painted on the two pylons.

The colors of Tomorrowland were mainly whites complimented with ochre on the outside. The interior of the buildings were accented with reds, oranges, yellows, and browns. In Old Tomorrowland's later years, the outside colours were changed to pinks, and blues around the Peoplemover tracks. Tomorrowland went through a drastic change in 1994. It now resembles Tomorrowland Disneyland in California slightly, but with more color. For most of its history, Tomorrowland's color scheme was predominantly white with soft blues, creating a retro-modernist landscape. Huge monolithic towers, spires, and clean lines completed the futuristic look. In 1994, using inspiration from Discoveryland at Disneyland Paris, Tomorrowland was completely re-built and altered to resemble a galactic spaceport as it would have been envisioned by the science-fiction comic strips of the early 20th century, like Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers. Tomorrowland has since been given a much more metallic look, along with new darker blues and purples, especially along its main concourse leading from the central hub.

Matt_Black

You know, I just had a thought- maybe the purple is to make people subconsciously think of Buzz Lightyear, who does have a good deal of purple in his design.

Pam Hates Penguins

Anaheim's is the worst, imp. And again with the stupid rock work. It's a huge tease too because the peoplemover track is just sitting there, taunting you.

I almost blame it on Disneyland Paris. When Tomorrowland needed to be renovated into something new, they decided to take after Disneyland Paris's design of Discoveryland:
Discoveryland[1].jpg

They came up with this idea for Disneyland:
tomorrowland1-2-590x308[1].jpg

tomorrowland1[1].jpg

How it turned out in 1998:
tl-entrance-aug98[1].jpg

brownmountain_withhista2000ah[1].jpg

Complete failure... #ThanksDiscoveryland

What it looks like today (without season of the force)
tomorrowland_alt[1].jpg

space-mountain[1].jpg

Ok. I agree. Tomorrowland has recovered a bit from it's copper and gold design. Space Mountain got back to it's white color, and most of the buildings have been repainted. It's not great, but it's better than 1998.

Now this gives me hope:
05-02-16-DSC_6299[1].jpg

05-02-16-DSC_7069[1].jpg

Oh ho ho! This could be the first step in redesigning Tomorrowland. A blue and white paint job in 2016 on the old copper and gold Autopia structure. Very futuristic. This I believe could be the new theme to this land in the future. We have hope!

Attachments

• dgfoldauto3[1].jpg
    dgfoldauto3[1].jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 114

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom