New Tomorrowland Rock Paint Job

The Empress Lilly

I wish TL didn't have any rocks at all... save those for Frontierland.
They can't even maintain separate identities for different parks anymore. DAK Avatar? Rocks. DHS Star Wars Land? Rocks. MK NFL? Rocks. Never mind maintaining different identities within one park. Frontierland, Adventureland, Fantasyland and Tomorrowland - once clearly different - now all consist of toons and rocks.

OliveMcFly

Here's what it may look like. I know it's not the best editing.

Before:
View attachment 153993

After:
View attachment 153994
family-guy-27-gif-animado7646_180x135.gif

Daveeeeed

I want people to understand why you shouldn't say Tomorrowland is a good film, if you say Pirates is a good film: because it isn't. Tomorrowland was just okay, what saved the bad story was the incredible visuals, and the cast, but even at times they were annoying.

You can't really compare it to Pirates for its story, you can't say it is as good as Pirates. The Haunted Mansion failed for the same reason, the story sucked, of course Tomorrowland was better, but it mainly comes back to the coolness of the film not its story and you have to have both. Pirates did that very well, and even when the stories got to be less and less film after film, it was still entertaining because it introduced cool villans like Davy Jones, and to be honest I think Potc 2 & 3 were still better than Tomorrowland. Potc also did not fail in the Box Office due to it becoming a trusted brand after the first, and audiences generally liked it a lot more. Like the only parts of Tomorrowland for me that were really good was when Frank was on his jet pack with Athena flying through Tomorrowland, the rocket out of the Eiffel Tower, and frank's house. Sure the message of the film was good, but it had nothing of an impact on pop culture, because the film wasn't great. You say Savvy, and people think of Sparrow. You want to know who the most popular pirate is? I'll give you a hint, he comes from Pirates. It would have been great to have a slight mystery aspect, but the story just fell flat. I was so excited for Tomorrowland, and wanted to like it so bad but I cannot say it is anything but mediocre.

The movie failed due to mediocre reviews, and poor marketing. They used a tactic to market it by not showing us much, which in theory could work out really well, like for Star Wars but it either has to have good reviews, or be a trusted brand, but for a movie like Tomorrowland people tend to check reviews more and if they're anything but good people won't go.

The first Alice in Wonderland was a success because of Burton, and because Alice is a hugely recognized and popular ip, Alice Into the Looking Glass failed because the first one wasn't that great, so it wasn't a trusted brand for the movies themselves, even though people still love Alice in Wonderland, just like people love (or hate it's outdatedness) Tomorrowland. Tomorrowland is known because of the parks, but it has never been in films before like Alice, and it doesn't have followers besides theme park fans that go to the parks. People may know about it but that doesn't mean they want to go, and again since the reviews were lackluster it turned so many people down. To be honest I wouldn't have had any interest in it if it didn't have the name Tomorrowland. Without the name it probably would've performed more along with Jupiter Ascending even with Tomorrowland being better. It really is a shame, Brad Bird had good direction, and Damon Lindelof had good ideas, but Lindelof can't pen a script for the world.

Last edited:

seabreezept813

All my friends who actually saw the movie Tomorrowland really liked/loved it. Alas, very few people I know actually did see it. A shame as the movie's vision was really beautiful and would've made a great inspiration for a redeveloped TL

It had its odd moments, but I loved it for its creativity...almost like some of the original attractions at Disney. Maybe the general public is why we can't have nice things...

Next Big Thing

They can't even maintain separate identities for different parks anymore. DAK Avatar? Rocks. DHS Star Wars Land? Rocks. MK NFL? Rocks. Never mind maintaining different identities within one park. Frontierland, Adventureland, Fantasyland and Tomorrowland - once clearly different - now all consist of toons and rocks.
WDI loves building rocks!

Disney4family

Although I was there in the '70s, I don't remember the original look of the entrance to Tomorrowland. As for the rocks, I just accepted them as maybe something from Mars, since that's the red planet and we're always seeing rocks, dirt, dust from there that looked like this (whether real or not). But purple rocks? Really?
First they ruin the entrance to Adventureland by removing the cool, bumpy bridge. Now they're making the entrance to Tomorrowland look like
upload_2016-7-30_13-50-33.jpeg
or
images
My fear is they're prepping it for
upload_2016-7-30_13-54-10.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-30_13-50-54.jpeg
    upload_2016-7-30_13-50-54.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 81

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
not gonna lie those fountains look really cool!! i didn't even know those existed before the rocks, they should definitely bring something like that back sometime
Tut tut! You need to brush up on your history.

They were good, but one of the problems was that in wind the water would make the bridge too slippy. Not to mention give everyone a soaking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom