New Tomorrowland Rock Paint Job

tirian

If WDI installed something that resembled hovercrafts (since hovercrafts themselves are impractical), adults would be queued up to ride.

I was being sarcastic, of course, it should stay it is the tomorrow of many to todays children. It is fun and exciting and quite often the highlight of their trip. Every kid wants to drive. I've seen snails move faster then those cars do, but, to a kid it is high speed and fun. We as adults need to get over the idea that they shouldn't be there. They should be there as much, if not more than any other thing in Tomorrowland. I have no problem with them upgrading the cars to perhaps electric as long as they can find a way to maintain the authentic engine sounds. Since there are no waterfalls in Florida I'd say that the pollution to created the electricity is probably equal to whatever is created by the cars. As an adult, it is highly hypocritical of us to complain about the pollution anyway, since most of us took some type of motorized vehicle to get there, so, we really don't care all that much about the pollution, when it doesn't benefit ourselves.

I agree that the cars can stay because it's pretty much every kid's dream to drive a racecar...but I think it needs some updating. Cars don't necessarily need to be faster, but it would be nice if they were easier to steer and perhaps themed a bit more to the land. Yes driving a car is the tomorrow of a kid, but there wouldn't be anything wrong with making it more futuristic. Imagine getting to drive a rocketcar or some kind of future "flying" car...it'd fit in perfect with the rest of the land.

brihow

I didn't get there until evening, but rockwork is openly continuing. There's scaffold visible though the primary rocks appear to have been mainly primed or base coated at this point. They're more a dull grey/beige sorta color.

mk-rockwork1a.jpg

mk-rockwork1b.jpg

ALL the rocks in the extended Stitch queue are fully painted, not just one sample one.
mk-rockwork1d.jpg

mk-rockwork1e.jpg

And if you go all the way to the end of the extended queue, there's a staging area with a popup tent way back at the end.

mk-rockwork1f.jpg

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/wal...e-fight-against-zika-at-walt-disney-world.htm

thanks so much for the pics - for whatever reason, this project is super interesting to me. That last picture that shows the new paint treatment with lighting gives me lots of hope for the end result of all of this. I feel like i can see the 'vision' they have for these new rocks now.

discos

Photo update as of Thursday, August 18. New dark brown base coat of paint on the Tomorrowland side of the rock face (at both sides of the entrance). The front side of the rock is the same as shown in previous photos on the blog website (white base coat of paint).
P.S. Castle roof work being done today with the crane.

View attachment 156361
The crane made it in this shot!

MissM

Hrm...I feel like it looks pretty awkward in the halfway stages. The finished ones in the Stitch extended queue I saw in person looked good, so I'm reserving judgement until it's finished. Also, the finished rocks looked different in the neon lightning too. I generally like the idea of changing it up - less Frontierland and more future/space theme - so I'm remaining hopeful it will look good when it's all complete vs partial various stages.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom