New Ticket Option - 4 Park Magic Ticket

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So a 2 week European vacationer is worth more to Disney than a 2 week US citizen? Why? Is there some type of advantage to Disney? If so, I don't see it.
Yes. Statistically, Europeans spend more on items that Disney makes a huge profit margin on (food, merchandise, etc) than Americans do. It is worth it for Disney to give away the farm to get them here.

Americans also tend to not to travel as long (average is between 4-5 days) making some kind of 2-3 week vacation promotion for Americans largely useless.

Jon81uk

So a 2 week European vacationer is worth more to Disney than a 2 week US citizen? Why? Is there some type of advantage to Disney? If so, I don't see it.

A 10 day magic your way ticket with park hopping and water parks is $527 (or £422)
A 14 day UK ticket, which includes park hopping and water parks is £330 or about $412.

So Disney are giving me about a $110 discount and offering free memory maker to lock me into buying that ticket.
But I spent five days of my 14 at Universal, Islands of Adventure, SeaWorld, Discovery Cove, Busch Gardens, and Premium Outlets. But Disney don't want me to go to those other parks and they want me to feel locked in with my 14 day ticket.
Whereas a US guest might decide they aren't doing water parks and they are at Universal for some of the trip, so they only need six days of Disney park hoppers for $435 which would be £348. OK, UK tickets are much cheaper.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
UKers spending two weeks in WDW aren't likely to bring in PBJ sandwiches and granola bars into the parks as their meals. They're gonna spend more.

Also, UKers are not going to spend the big bucks on several trans-Atlantic flights for a few extended weekends year after year. If they're going to another continent, they're going for a significant stay once every few years, which can't be priced too high, else, they won't go at all.

Bandini

Whereas a US guest might decide they aren't doing water parks and they are at Universal for some of the trip, so they only need six days of Disney park hoppers for $435 which would be £348. OK, UK tickets are much cheaper.
OK, glad you see my point. Nothing against you for getting a better deal.

Bandini

UKers spending two weeks in WDW aren't likely to bring in PBJ sandwiches and granola bars into the parks as their meals. They're gonna spend more.

Also, UKers are not going to spend the big bucks on several trans-Atlantic flights for a few extended weekends year after year. If they're going to another continent, they're going for a significant stay once every few years, which can't be priced too high, else, they won't go at all.
Do you see most US guests bringing in their own snacks? I don't. I still think this is an indefensible policy, but it's what Disney has chosen,

Hey, does this mean I can get a screamin' deal by going to DLP?

ParentsOf4

Statistically speaking, longer vacations are declining in the United States. 5 or even 4 day vacations are becoming the norm.

Disney's latest discount ticket offer ties in nicely with this trend.

These 2 week vacations that many Europeans take are quite rare in the United States.

Disney already offers a 10 day ticket which easily can be spread over 2 weeks. (Sorry but going to the park every day for 10 straight days is exhausting.)

Clearly Disney's own research shows that these longer tickets don't fit the vacation patterns for the vast majority of Americans.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Do you see most US guests bringing in their own snacks? I don't. I still think this is an indefensible policy, but it's what Disney has chosen,

Disney doesn't stop you from bringing in your own snacks. Just big coolers.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Nope. they still give them to the Britts as they are DLP's primary market.

The US packages for DLP are often loaded with restrictions as they don't want to deal with guests that just want to stay for a day or two.

Bandini

Disney doesn't stop you from bringing in your own snacks. Just big coolers.
No they don't. But someone implied that Disney gave bigger discounts to Europeans because they didn't bring their own snacks/meals into the parks. Personally, I think Disney likes Europeans better.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
No they don't. But someone implied that Disney gave bigger discounts to Europeans because they didn't bring their own snacks/meals into the parks. Personally, I think Disney likes Europeans better.
I am not sure why you are not getting this so I will try one more time....

Disney does like Europeans more than Americans because they can make more money per guest from them.

It is really no more complicated than that.

flynnibus

Premium Member

1) Europeans vacation longer than US people - That's what happens when you have mandated vacation time (US doesn't)
2) Many Europeans face higher taxes than the US - making it advantageous to spend money in the US on goods and services
3) For many periods.. European's had favorable exchange rates.. making it advantageous to spend money in the US
4) The UK is the #2 economy in Europe
5) Northern Europe likes to vacation in the warmer climates
6) When you have long travel times.. you tend to make longer trips
7) The UK is very familiar with Disney's brand and products

All of these things make it very compelling for UK people to vacation in Florida and the Caribbean. By making Disney a very attraction, and highly discounted destination... Disney is very successful in luring those long vacation goers to make their holiday a Disney one.

Why is the US different? Well for one.. how many US workers have more than 5 weeks of vacation? (the minimum in the UK). As such, US folks have shorter trips. There is no point to lure them with 14+ tickets when most will take trips <10 days max. Second, US people have less travel, and less competitive options competing with Florida. Europeans can vacation in the Med and be much closer.. so it takes more to lure them to tip the scales in your favor.

The UK is a huge demographic for WDW. Disney invests heavily to ensure it gets those international spenders on grand vacations.

Really the biggest thing is these tourists are going to spend a lot of money on long vacations - Disney makes itself attractive to try to ensure those vacations are Disney ones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom