New themed pavement in Adventureland?

Quietmouse

If you're like me and were curious what this would look like applied to the rest of the land, enjoy these 20 minutes of Photoshop:

View attachment 811052
View attachment 811053
View attachment 811051

Not my usual professional standard so don't hold it against me. ;) Free to use, etc etc

I'll let you all decide if you like the look of the pavement or not, but I think it works.

It looks like the ground in the jungle. I like it.

It would be cool if frontier lane had similar dirt pavement and liberty square had faux cobble stone pavement.

MerlinTheGoat

Somewhat related, I wish they would give the Main Street road a brick and cobblestone overhaul ala Paris and Hong Kong.

magic-kingdom-rope-drop-empty-main-street.jpeg

7280935300_e18359da2e_b.jpg

MerlinTheGoat

Didn't it used to be and it was too rough to walk on and strollers were shaken to bits?
Thought I had a fuzzy memory of early 2000s where they had to put in the concrete because of injuries in the track voids
No, it was always plain concrete since opening day.

MV5BYThhZjU4ZGEtODYxMy00YTQ1LWFkYmItYTY2MmVkZmM0MjhhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzcyNzgzMDA@._V1_.jpg

1977-Main-Street--1170x680.jpg

It should be noted that Disneyland's Main Street also opened with plain pavement in 1955. In 2018, the pavement of the trolley track and a couple feet on either side (so about a third of the road) was ripped up and replaced with a brick path. I believe the sidewalks hugging the buildings also similarly had plain red tinted pavement when the park opened, but these were also replaced with brick at some point.

d618299323be15ab0f0e87ceaf572098.jpg

Hong Kong's Main Street also has an all brick walkway (though the sidewalks are mostly a plain concrete, they also don't have a trolley track). Shanghai completely lacks a traditional Main Street USA (theirs is called Mickey Avenue and is themed different and more like Fantasyland), but their "version" of the entry street has a variety of different brick and stone tile patterns. Magic Kingdom and Tokyo Disneyland are the only parks that still use exclusively plain pavement on their respective "Main Streets" (or World Bazaar as Tokyo's is called).

1724351692604.png

shanghai-disneyland-mickey-ave-2.jpg

Last edited:

JoeCamel

No, it was always plain concrete since opening day.

MV5BYThhZjU4ZGEtODYxMy00YTQ1LWFkYmItYTY2MmVkZmM0MjhhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzcyNzgzMDA@._V1_.jpg

1977-Main-Street--1170x680.jpg

It should be noted that Disneyland's Main Street also opened with plain pavement in 1955. Sometime between 2017-2018, the entire middle third of the road (the trolley track and a couple feet on both sides) was ripped up and replaced with a brick path. I believe the sidewalks hugging the buildings also similarly had plain reddish tinted pavement when the park opened, but these were similarly replaced with brick at some point.

d618299323be15ab0f0e87ceaf572098.jpg

Hong Kong's Main Street also has an all brick walkway (though the sidewalks are mostly a plain concrete, they also don't have a trolley track). Shanghai completely lacks a traditional Main Street USA (theirs is called Mickey Avenue and is themed different and more like Fantasyland), but their "version" of the entry street has a variety of different brick and stone tile patterns. Magic Kingdom and Tokyo Disneyland are the only parks that still use exclusively plain pavement on their respective "Main Streets" (or World Bazaar as Tokyo's is called).

View attachment 811091
shanghai-disneyland-mickey-ave-2.jpg
Maybe the DL project is what I am remembering, thanks

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Say what you will about Disney obsession with ips now, I’m glad they still prioritize theming. There’s nothing like Disney obsession with details towards their theming and that is why we flock to their parks.

They immerse you with an experience like nothing else on earth, they are ocd with theming and details , and are truly one of the only collection of theme parks that know how to make you feel transplanted into a different reality.

I
Check out Europa-Park!

aladdin2007

Im all for the new pavement, I am however very nostalgic for the plain red pavement thats slowly disappearing everywhere.
everything is sort of starting to look and feel like Animal Kingdom....I mean its great the pavement is getting a themed treatment and what not but ....Morocco too they did the same type of muddy Animal Kingdom look treatment on it when it should not look that way at all.

TrainsOfDisney

Thought I had a fuzzy memory of early 2000s where they had to put in the concrete because of injuries in the track voids
I think it was around that time they took out some of the curbs.

Disneyland and California Adventure both have the brick lining the trolley tracks - not only does it look good - it’s also a visual for guests and the operators to know if they are safe on the street vs. on the path of the trolleys.

Of course WDW rarely runs the trolley so it doesn’t matter anymore :(

TrainsOfDisney

Some on here literally will criticize every iota of Disney actions and it’s beyond exhausting.
personally that’s why I love this board - it’s not an echo chamber of “oh fun! Disney is doing something new!” - it’s lots of different thoughts and opinions.

I’m kinda 50/50 on this new pavement - in general I like the themed pavement in the parks. But I like some variety too. It looks so similar to new fantasyland and most of animal kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom