New themed pavement in Adventureland?

MerlinTheGoat

Looks nice! Have you seen the pavement in Tokyo Disneyland? It’s so ugly and plain. Tokyo’s one downfall.
The pavement used in a lot of Tokyo's original opening day areas demonstrates two fascinatingly different things to me-

1- The original pavements used in many of the opening day lands are indeed quite bland and even outright ugly in contrast with the surroundings. Especially the places in Fantasyland and parts of Adventureland where they used an odd pale pistachio green color. I agree that it's one of the flaws of their original castle park in its still opening day form (the park had plenty of design flaws when it first opened, Fantasyland having received most of these problems).

2- It's insane how clean and pristine that pavement is kept, just like the rest of the park. For as bland and ugly as the pavement is, my god does the vast majority of it look like it was paved and surfaced yesterday, compared to pretty much any other Disney resort out there. It's one of the clearest things syou can point at to demonstrate how meticulous and brilliant the OLC is at maintaining their parks (even by looking at photos and videos). I can only assume they must do frequent resurface/paint jobs, maybe yearly or even more frequently than that...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I plan to run through that area next month, abruptly stop, and see how well things go. If nothing else, I can sue for negligence, either for the rough surface causing abrasions, either when I tripped while stopping because the surface is so rough or else I slipped and fell. I smell a Club 33 membership in my near future.

;)

In all seriousness, this seems like something that needs to be seen first-hand to get a better idea of what is going on. Soon...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Ripken10

There's concrete in the jungle? 🧐
Yes

"Concrete is a material made for the moist and verdant conditions of tropical climates. It’s physically and seismically durable, low-maintenance, and resistant to the rot that can seep in from dripping rainforests and humid jungles. It’s also a kind of self-regulating temperature control system, with its dense mass capable of absorbing heat during the day and gradually releasing it during the cooler night."

phillip9698

From the high level views it looks to be themed to a dirt path with patches of grass trying to grow through. It doesnt look like mold until you look at the ground level zoomed in view. The average guest is not getting down on all fours and taking zoomed in pics of the walking path.

All in all it looks good to me.

bwr827

From the high level views it looks to be themed to a dirt path with patches of grass trying to grow through. It doesnt look like mold until you look at the ground level zoomed in view. The average guest is not getting down on all fours and taking zoomed in pics of the walking path.

All in all it looks good to me.
Average guest? I’ve been visiting MK since the late 1800s and this area of pavement has always been my favorite to get down in all fours on. I also remember walking over it and my dear son accidentally took a picture of it once.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
SO SO SO GOOD. I adore pavement updates as much as Zach Riddley.

WDW has needed pavement improvements for a long time, and with EPCOT & Tomorrowland kicking it off, it was only a matter of time for MK.

Themed pavement does SO much for placemaking and is an essential tenet to modern landmaking in a way it just wasn't decades ago. While pavement does have a shelf life, it is a quantifiable step up and something they didn't have to do.

If they do Frontierland next (and I'm sure they will) Tokyo Disneyland will be in even more desperate need of themed pavement now that Walt Disney Studios over in Paris has been getting some.

Recently, at Tokyo, they just replaced a bunch of the existing concrete with... unthemed concrete. Sadly, it's my ONLY gripe against TDL. Tokyo DisneySea doesn't suffer from this problem at all, but this is a change that should be widely applauded!

1724273830106.png

Disney Analyst

SO SO SO GOOD. I adore pavement updates as much as Zach Riddley.

WDW has needed pavement improvements for a long time, and with EPCOT & Tomorrowland kicking it off, it was only a matter of time for MK.

Themed pavement does SO much for placemaking and is an essential tenet to modern landmaking in a way it just wasn't decades ago. While pavement does have a shelf life, it is a quantifiable step up and something they didn't have to do.

If they do Frontierland next (and I'm sure they will) Tokyo Disneyland will be in even more desperate need of themed pavement now that Walt Disney Studios over in Paris has been getting some.

Recently, at Tokyo, they just replaced a bunch of the existing concrete with... unthemed concrete. Sadly, it's my ONLY gripe against TDL. Tokyo DisneySea doesn't suffer from this problem at all, but this is a change that should be widely applauded!

View attachment 810942

Oh God. My eyes. The horror!! Why Tokyo 😭

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom