News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

Dutch Inn '76

How strange that they canceled after so much planning and money spent. The thing I was looking forward to the most in this was the hopeful expansion of Main Street USA. Frankly, the theatre I could give or take as I find most of the shows to be cheesy rehashes of the movies. Surely there's an explanation for this cancellation; one that makes a lot of sense. I'm sure looking forward to the explanation.

As for the "needed capacity" at the MK, I look at it differently: the other three parks need DRAWS. The MK has more than twice the attractions than the other three parks - or - there are only SEVEN more attractions in total at the other three parks than there are in the MK alone. If HS, AK & Epcot became bigger draws, then Disney would profit more and pressure would be taken off of the Magic Kingdom. If we find out that they decided to spend this money at one of the other three parks, I'll say that it was a good decision.

culturenthrills

Of course that’s true.

But considering MK is getting a huge draw (Tron), the extra capacity is needed regardless of what happens in the other parks

yeah, thats the thing MK needs capacity and it needs real entertainment. It is so lacking on that front. Very disappointing if it turns out to be true. MK needs a dedicated theater and a major show to add capacity and get people off the walkways. Street shows aren't gonna cut it. Entertainment has lost so many Equity actor roles I was looking forward to having a real show at MK

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They're in different parks. I'm just as OK with this as I am with having omnimover dark rides in all the parks. The point is if it's a well designed ride and experience - not what technology they use to implement it. I'll be more concerned if we find out that it's a screen based ride, as that is quickly reaching saturation in WDW IMO.

You have to vary...or they all end up blurring into one.

Putting IP Infront of simu capsules or trackless cars still have limitations.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
if this is true than this must be the largest cancelled project at WDW in decades, and really makes me worried a lot of things in the EPCOT spine redo/concept art will get cut.
Equitorial Africa I believe was a few weeks away from construction. This was three months. Meet the World had a complete showbuilding.

I pray they cut a lot of the Epcot spine plan.

TrojanUSC

Theater shows aren't my cup of tea (though Aladdin at DCA was very good), so I'd be happy to hear if these funds got shifted to an actual ride. Ideally I'd like to see it go to EPCOT.... maybe push up that Imagination refurb :)

I think there is some internal regret about getting rid of Aladdin. Frozen isn't quite drawling the crowds they hoped and it's definitely not drawing the repeat visits like Aladdin did.

yensidtlaw1969

No indy, No volcano (meaning no journey to the center of the earth). They wouldn't be crazy and put the new pirates sunken treasure ride next to old pirates right? right...bueller?
If Mystic Manor is deemed too similar to The Haunted Mansion to share a Park with it, then I can’t believe they’d build an expensive new Pirates themed Boat Ride right next to their Pirates themed Boat Ride.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's just becoming their "go to" a little too quickly...

Florida is the last to get one...but will have 2 opening back to back and I would think more on the way...

Wait...that's 3, is it not? 2 in studios and one in Epcot?

...disney has convinced itself that gravity is going to be replaced by "4D sensory experiences"...it never will. Details at 11

'4D' simulators are cheap compared to 'real' rides, Any questions as to why they are becoming to WDW's go to solution.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
How strange that they canceled after so much planning and money spent. The thing I was looking forward to the most in this was the hopeful expansion of Main Street USA. Frankly, the theatre I could give or take as I find most of the shows to be cheesy rehashes of the movies. Surely there's an explanation for this cancellation; one that makes a lot of sense. I'm sure looking forward to the explanation.

As for the "needed capacity" at the MK, I look at it differently: the other three parks need DRAWS. The MK has more than twice the attractions than the other three parks - or - there are only SEVEN more attractions in total at the other three parks than there are in the MK alone. If HS, AK & Epcot became bigger draws, then Disney would profit more and pressure would be taken off of the Magic Kingdom. If we find out that they decided to spend this money at one of the other three parks, I'll say that it was a good decision.

No mystery here Disney's numbers are ugly and easiest place to cut is CAPEX

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom