New Survey Asks about Fastpass+ Changes

John

I too received the survey, one of the questions asked ( paraphrase) if any of this was confusing?....ummmm yea. At least I thought it was. It was what I think an extremely long survey. I bailed at a certain point because of a particular question and the multiple choice answers they gave were limited and you could tell by the answers the survey was cultivated in trying to get the response they wanted. From what I got out of it, it was exactly what others have said that it seems they were saying you basically had unlimited FPs. Turning into nothing much more then a "front of the line" pass....but offered to everyone?.....huh? Doesn't that basically wipe out any real benefit? I suppose they are limited in how many are offered but I thought that limiting the access to them by on site guest was the whole point? Now of course this is a scenario giving in a survey and it does not mean it will come to fruition but it does look as though there will be major changes to the system.

If this ends up being "unlimited" in a way the old FP was then the MB basically are nothing more then a tracking device with the convenience of being able to book your FP with a phone or hand held device. I also think that this may be a response to the complaints they have received about the system. Trying to accommodate everyone. And if the real point to all of this is having the ability to track you, it would seem they would want to track EVERYONE. Their data would be skewed if that wasn't the case.

To me it also implies they have gathered information about the guest experience they didn't see coming, or maybe they did and wanted to just see how it was going to play out....you know the "test" period? So they have basically used us and our thousands of dollars spent on a vacation as lab rats. Thanks TWDC!

ParentsOf4

Ok that sounds like a good idea on paper, but seriously?!? How does that even make sense when u think about it! It shouldnt be that overly complicated...the average guest would be so lost (those that don't frequent boards) and already have a headache with this system trying to figure it all out on their own with no help!
I too received the survey, one of the questions asked ( paraphrase) if any of this was confusing?....ummmm yea. At least I thought it was.
For WDW experts, there is a silver lining suggested by the questions.

The FP+ system is complex. The questions suggest Disney intends to make it even more complex.

Why is this good?

For casual WDW visitors, it's likely they will have difficulty mastering a more complex system. This will give WDW experts an advantage.

For former FP experts, the continued downside is that FP+ encourages usage by casual WDW visitors. Thus, although FP+ experts might be able to obtain more FP+ selections, it's likely that these will be for less desirable attractions.

For WDW experts, there is a silver lining suggested by the questions.

The FP+ system is complex. The questions suggest Disney intends to make it even more complex.

Why is this good?

For casual WDW visitors, it's likely they will have difficulty mastering a more complex system. This will give WDW experts an advantage.

For former FP experts, the continued downside is that FP+ encourages usage by casual WDW visitors. Thus, although FP+ experts might be able to obtain more FP+ selections, it's likely that these will be for less desirable attractions.

These changes also seem to bring FP+ closer to what FP was. Except, as you mentioned, with more users for at least the initial 3 choices. I agree this will probably not be as beneficial to experts as the original was, since the high demand rides will still face problems they have now.

Does anyone know if the survey mentioned being able to repeat rides? That was a complaint of the new system versus old.

Soarin' Over Pgh

From the survey, the revolving fast pass is a continuous extra fast pass you get after the third. Each time you use the 4th FP+, you get another selection if you choose.
For those asking about kiosks, the survey said to assume everyone could use their smartphone or tablet to make choices.

You mean the phone I left locked in the hotel safe because I didn't want the distraction in the park? Or the iPad sitting next to it, for the same reason?

surfsupdon

It's a shame.

It was "not convenient" for the masses to have to trek and back track across a park using FastPasses the old way. (Physical fitness anyone??!) So now we have to be glued to our cellphones to try and get FastPasses. Bummer. And only 3 at that.

Hopefully this system dramatically changes.

NearTheEars

From the survey, the revolving fast pass is a continuous extra fast pass you get after the third. Each time you use the 4th FP+, you get another selection if you choose.
For those asking about kiosks, the survey said to assume everyone could use their smartphone or tablet to make choices.

I'd vote for this because after already using three, then you could just pick as you go. If you got another full slate of 3, I'd bet a lot would go unused, tying them up for people that would actually use the time.

MissM

I don't think a "rolling" 4th FP is even remotely difficult. Why are people so confused by it? Book your first three in advance. Then after you use them, you have the option of getting another just like you used to use a FP, and then get another after on the old system. *shrugs* Seems to be at least a little improvement on NO MORE FP+ FOR YOU we have now.

The AP PF+ test survey probably got a lot of Passholders upset about the 3/day/1park set up. I know I gave them an earful on it! I bet this survey is because of guest feedback and the real limitations of the current set up.

muteki

The tiers bug me more than the restriction of 3. Let me FP Soarin, TT, and Maelstrom in a single day and I would be fine with 3.

But being able to make additional reservations after you have used your 3? That sounds good. Everyone will take all the early slots in the day first and the kiosks would be crazy later in the day though.

rioriz

The problem here is we have perspective. ...do any of you remember how confusing (and still were to some) the legacy fastpass were when first introduced?

In a couple years this will be smoothed out and we will have moved on

rioriz

It's a shame.

It was "not convenient" for the masses to have to trek and back track across a park using FastPasses the old way. (Physical fitness anyone??!) So now we have to be glued to our cellphones to try and get FastPasses. Bummer. And only 3 at that.

Hopefully this system dramatically changes.
Am I detecting sarcasm here?

Nubs70

Have unlimited FP+ like the old FP subject to the time constraints of the former FP. Then set aside 30-40 FP++ per hour that are available for $5-$10 a piece. FP++ could then be used to pay for the labor for that attraction. Model FP++ after the preferred seating upcharge found in airline coach class.

flyerjab

My primary complaint about the FP+ system was only having 3 per park per day. Actually, it was the 3 per park that annoyed me. We are not a park commando family so more than 3 in a day isn't something that particularly bothered me.

The comments I always find intriguing would be those revolving around the use of a smart phone or iPad-like device. To me, this is the way the world is evolving and I don't have an issue with WDW jumping on board and moving in this direction. I see this type of 'tech' becoming more a part of our everyday world, even when on vacation. I always have my phone and so does my wife and daughter (the boys will undoubtedly follow). They are of value to have when on vacation as well, and not just for Disney related issues. For example, on our latest trip this week, our car battery died, so I immediately was able to contact AAA and the problem was fully resolved in 15 minutes. In the parks, I am now not as bothered when we split up into groups. It is so easy to coordinate with our phones as far as where to meet and at what time. It allows us to change plans on the fly when separated which is also a nice thing. I also have to admit that I like going into the parks already having passes set up on our favorites. It makes it easier for us, no more running across the park to Dumbo when the rest of the family stands in line at Peter Pan to get a fast pass (and yes,it was always me that did the running so I am particularly happy about this aspect of FP+ :))

We were just in WDW from this past Wednesday through Saturday and the Magicbands, FP+ all worked flawlessly…with one HUGE EXCEPTION. On Thursday, while at Hollywood Studios, the entire system crashed and was down for about 4 hours. All of our Fastpass ride reservations disappeared from our MDE account. Now, we did not initially realize this as we were occupied with something at the time. As a result, the immediate crush of people at the little Guest Services building (which I noticed but did not stop to think why at the time) had already died down when we were walking towards Toy Story Mania and noticed that our reservations were GONE!! Ugh!! We walked back to guest services and there was no line so we had the problem resolved rather quickly. I can only imagine what that was like for the guest services workers earlier in the day when that crash initially happened.

Now, as I stated above, this was the only issue we had and overall the use of the Magicbands was fine. But if WDW is choosing to move in this direction and use this type of 'tech' to organize vacations, they cannot have a system that crashes, wiping out all FastPass+ ride reservations. That is unacceptable to me.

Now, regarding the revolving additionally pass/passes, we are a somewhat tech savvy family so we would be able to work with this idea if made a reality. I also agree with the comment made earlier in this thread, and that is people will eventually figure out how to fully utilize the FastPass+ system,regardless of what it evolves into.

harveyt0206

I think the idea of a rotating FP is at least some "small" improvement. And if they roll in a park hopping option....even better. My only problems with the system in its current state: 1) park hopping becomes much more difficult. Park hopping is huge to us. I despise the idea of having all my FP options only in one park. 2) hate the tiering system and the addition of FP to unnecessary attractions. FP for Spaceship Earth? Really? For Pirates? Not needed.

FerretAfros

I also got this survey yesterday, and thought it was interesting to see what they were thinking, but it was way too long and detailed for most guests, who can't even remember what's in which park. Even as someone who is extremely familiar with WDW and FP/FP+, I found it a bit overwhelming

While I appreciated the ability to get more FPs, I wasn't fond of the idea of doing it in the park on my phone or at a kiosk. With the legacy FP system, you're living in the moment in the park. With the new technology, it really pulls you out of your vacation and puts you back into planning mode, which just doesn't appeal to me at all. Either let me reserve all of my FPs early, or don't make me jump through hoops to do it in the park

It also included notes that they were looking into adding park hopping and the ability to reserve less than 3 FPs, both of which should have been part of the system from the beginning

John

I don't think a "rolling" 4th FP is even remotely difficult. Why are people so confused by it? Book your first three in advance. Then after you use them, you have the option of getting another just like you used to use a FP, and then get another after on the old system. *shrugs* Seems to be at least a little improvement on NO MORE FP+ FOR YOU we have now.

The AP PF+ test survey probably got a lot of Passholders upset about the 3/day/1park set up. I know I gave them an earful on it! I bet this survey is because of guest feedback and the real limitations of the current set up.

I understand the system completely, what I didn't understand was the way they presented it. I guess you would have had to read the survey.

My primary complaint about the FP+ system was only having 3 per park per day. Actually, it was the 3 per park that annoyed me. We are not a park commando family so more than 3 in a day isn't something that particularly bothered me.

The comments I always find intriguing would be those revolving around the use of a smart phone or iPad-like device. To me, this is the way the world is evolving and I don't have an issue with WDW jumping on board and moving in this direction. I see this type of 'tech' becoming more a part of our everyday world, even when on vacation. I always have my phone and so does my wife and daughter (the boys will undoubtedly follow). They are of value to have when on vacation as well, and not just for Disney related issues. For example, on our latest trip this week, our car battery died, so I immediately was able to contact AAA and the problem was fully resolved in 15 minutes. In the parks, I am now not as bothered when we split up into groups. It is so easy to coordinate with our phones as far as where to meet and at what time. It allows us to change plans on the fly when separated which is also a nice thing. I also have to admit that I like going into the parks already having passes set up on our favorites. It makes it easier for us, no more running across the park to Dumbo when the rest of the family stands in line at Peter Pan to get a fast pass (and yes,it was always me that did the running so I am particularly happy about this aspect of FP+ :))

We were just in WDW from this past Wednesday through Saturday and the Magicbands, FP+ all worked flawlessly…with one HUGE EXCEPTION. On Thursday, while at Hollywood Studios, the entire system crashed and was down for about 4 hours. All of our Fastpass ride reservations disappeared from our MDE account. Now, we did not initially realize this as we were occupied with something at the time. As a result, the immediate crush of people at the little Guest Services building (which I noticed but did not stop to think why at the time) had already died down when we were walking towards Toy Story Mania and noticed that our reservations were GONE!! Ugh!! We walked back to guest services and there was no line so we had the problem resolved rather quickly. I can only imagine what that was like for the guest services workers earlier in the day when that crash initially happened.

Now, as I stated above, this was the only issue we had and overall the use of the Magicbands was fine. But if WDW is choosing to move in this direction and use this type of 'tech' to organize vacations, they cannot have a system that crashes, wiping out all FastPass+ ride reservations. That is unacceptable to me.

Now, regarding the revolving additionally pass/passes, we are a somewhat tech savvy family so we would be able to work with this idea if made a reality. I also agree with the comment made earlier in this thread, and that is people will eventually figure out how to fully utilize the FastPass+ system,regardless of what it evolves into.

So you think everyone owns a smartphone or as tech savvy as your family....what about those grandparents that didn't grow up in this era? Not to mention as one poster that they don't own a smartphone? It works great for your family....how nice.

I also got this survey yesterday, and thought it was interesting to see what they were thinking, but it was way too long and detailed for most guests, who can't even remember what's in which park. Even as someone who is extremely familiar with WDW and FP/FP+, I found it a bit overwhelming

While I appreciated the ability to get more FPs, I wasn't fond of the idea of doing it in the park on my phone or at a kiosk. With the legacy FP system, you're living in the moment in the park. With the new technology, it really pulls you out of your vacation and puts you back into planning mode, which just doesn't appeal to me at all. Either let me reserve all of my FPs early, or don't make me jump through hoops to do it in the park

It also included notes that they were looking into adding park hopping and the ability to reserve less than 3 FPs, both of which should have been part of the system from the beginning

Exactly how I feel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom