New single day quick service dining plan test to begin at the Magic Kingdom

BrerJon

You may already be in line to purchase a 1-day ticket, then the CM says "would you like to add a Quick Service dining plan to that for $x?" You say yes, you pay for your tickets and the meal vouchers, they give you your tickets and your meal vouchers and off you go.

This is exactly what they'll do, and make a fortune out of it. Ask in the morning, when you're hungry, if you want to pay now to save a couple of bucks... sure, you go ahead and buy the meal voucher then. But without that, come the end of the day... maybe you'll go back to the hotel, eat somewhere off-property... oh wait, you already bought a voucher. Better stay in MK and eat there!

It only takes a small percentage of guests to fall for a sales pitch and switch to eating here instead of the outside park cheaper, or even non Disney options they may have done otherwise, for them to make a killing on these.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

This is exactly what they'll do, and make a fortune out of it. Ask in the morning if you want to pay now, and you buy two meals, but come the end of the day, maybe you'll go back to the hotel, eat somewhere off-property... oh wait, you already bought a voucher. Better stay in MK and eat there!

Is it bad value if you were going to buy two quick service anyway, probably, but it only takes a small percentage of guests to switch to eating here instead of cheaper, or non Disney options, for them to make a killing on these.

I think you hit it right on. They want people to stay in the Magic Kingdom. I do not think this is a target for resort guests as in many cases, most will take a hotel break. But for non resort guests, this may be a win because its "included" and they dont have to worry about leaving property. I think this is a joke but I have thought most of disney's additions as of late has been a joke.

disney4life2008

At my local Six Flags (yeah, I know..no comparison...just hold on), you can get a season pass add-on that gets you lunch and dinner every time you go to the park. Yeah, the food's not great, but they do have some good-tasting, nutritional stuff if you go to the "fresh cafe" locations and stay away from the filler-laden burgers. I paid $90 for the entire season (which is six months here in the frozen north). It's a super deal.

Of course, Disney doesn't have to offer anything like that. But it's a stark difference.

Universal used to offer an all day meal band. Sea World offers an all day meal add on for cheap. The only thing I need disney to do is put some type of unlimited coke machine at the magic kingdom.

21stamps

At my local Six Flags (yeah, I know..no comparison...just hold on), you can get a season pass add-on that gets you lunch and dinner every time you go to the park. Yeah, the food's not great, but they do have some good-tasting, nutritional stuff if you go to the "fresh cafe" locations and stay away from the filler-laden burgers. I paid $90 for the entire season (which is six months here in the frozen north). It's a super deal.

Of course, Disney doesn't have to offer anything like that. But it's a stark difference.
The all season dining plans are good for select people. They definitely aren't a good deal for the way we eat at our park, we eat more snacks than meals so I don't even think we'd break even.
I posted the single day plan on here..it's $31.99 no drink included. Is Six Flags price similar?

docdebbi

An empty chair is implied consent. Furthermore, if you have stopped eating, why can't I finish it up? Waste not, want not, I always say.

ha ha you think you're kidding, but several years ago we did the famous "but I thought YOU had the baby" routine. and both groups left tusker house without the 3 year old. when we met up 15 minutes later and realized NO ONE had the baby, we RACED back and found him happily sitting with another family, chit chatting and enjoying their desserts.

so.........an empty chair is indeed implied consent. wasn't so funny then, but we do chuckle when we look back at it now.

21stamps

I think you hit it right on. They want people to stay in the Magic Kingdom. I do not think this is a target for resort guests as in many cases, most will take a hotel break. But for non resort guests, this may be a win because its "included" and they dont have to worry about leaving property. I think this is a joke but I have thought most of disney's additions as of late has been a joke.
I think they're just doing what every park has been doing for a few years now..Disney was just late to the game.
I guess they realized that there must be a reason why everyone else is doing it.

disney4life2008

I think they're just doing what every park has been doing for a few years now..Disney was just late to the game.
I guess they realized that there must be a reason why everyone else is doing it.

Agreed and as others have said. People will buy this regardless of the price point because its lunch and dinner included. To a novice, this will seem like a steal.

Ransom

I posted the single day plan on here..it's $31.99 no drink included. Is Six Flags price similar?

Looks like dining discounts for day trippers are a work in progress for my local park:
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/store/food-discounts

But, clearly, pay-in-advance is a popular choice, or it wouldn't be so ubiquitous. Like you with the Six Flags dining pass, the Disney ones aren't my thing. But it looks like I'm not the intended customer. :)

21stamps

Looks like dining discounts for day trippers are a work in progress for my local park:
https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/store/food-discounts

But, clearly, pay-in-advance is a popular choice, or it wouldn't be so ubiquitous. Like you with the Six Flags dining pass, the Disney ones aren't my thing. But it looks like I'm not the intended customer. :)
I keep hoping that Cedar Fair will offer one with snacks included! Specifically ice cream and funnel cake sundaes.lol. I would be inclined to purchase one then. People seem to love them for the convenience. Pay once in the Fall and not worry about paying for meals the next year.

I can't see how Disney could offer something similar though.

ETA - LOL @ the 99 cent refills!!! Ours are a dollar. Why the 99cents?! That's funny. Tip for the cashiers? ;)

Lets Respect

SeaWorld's plan ($35 for adults, $20 for kids)

ADULT (Ages 10+) wristband valid for 1 entrée (excluding Baby Back Ribs and the Sampler/Combo/Brisket Platters), 1 side OR 1 dessert, 1 regular size non-alcoholic beverage (excluding Naked Juice) each time through the line as often as once every hour until the published restaurant closing time located on your park map.

CHILD (ages 3-9) wristband valid for 1 Kids’ Meal (beverage excludes Naked Juice, bottled water and hot beverages) and 1 side OR dessert each time through the line as often as once every hour until the published restaurant closing time located on your park map. Wristbands must be secured tightly to wrist to be valid. — No front of line access —

Mawg

Have to say it's not a terrible price. But, I think they are missing the mark. I think at $25 they would sell a lot more and make up for the discount.

Tony the Tigger

Thanks for the update!

So I think from a marketing perspective, this "sounds good" - not necessarily meaning I would use it, but it sounds reasonable for someone to hear it offered to them and quickly think "under $30 for the day, two meals, with theme park priced food, that could be a good deal."

As someone else (Kylo?) said, if you get a $14.50 sandwich, your drink is "free."

I don't typically order a non-alcoholic drink. If I am not drinking alcohol, it's usually water. But maybe I'd go for a bonus tea or something - or order an extra diet Coke for DH, who would typically drink more than one at a sitting.

It could be used as a means of self-discipline. "I'm getting the plan on Tuesday and we won't spend that much on food that day. We'll splurge on Wednesday."

I like that it's not as big a commitment as the DDP and does not require staying on property (apparently.)

I like that it doesn't include dessert (although the DDP now lets you sub a side for dessert now, I think.)

It's also easier to wrap your head around than the DDP, IMO. It's one day of math based on one day of plans, not your whole vacation.

You might think saving $2 or $3 is no big deal, but look how many of us save that by buying discounted Disney Gift Cards, etc. "It all adds up."

I guess I can see some isolated circumstances where I might go for it - again, one day of savings or disciplined spending out of a trip where I may splurge on other days. (We go so much for the nice resort dinners.)

Then again, staying at MK itself (if it remains limited to MK) for both lunch and dinner is a rarity for us. I'm more likely to go for the new alcoholic dinner plan LOL. (This may be prong 2 of a two-pronged approach - the first being the alcohol at TS restaurants) to keep people eating at MK.)

I can't see this as a bad thing. They might as well test it out and see how it goes.

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
Complain, complain, complain...when life gives you lemons and all that. So, I've decided to turn the food pricing model that Disney has so aggressively followed the last decade into an advantage. First, you will need supplies. I recommend the following
  • 5 deep welled wagons
    images
  • 1 old school Weber charcoal grill still in the box -
    5b610ba3-d5dd-4709-91a9-d045d3ced9f3_1000.jpg
I recommend the model above since it is easy to remove ash.
  • screwdriver
  • 8-12 toddlers
  • crescent wrench
  • 170 pounds of charcoal briquets
  • pliers (may not be necessary but when assembling the grill it can be really helpful on the step when you're putting on the vent cover)
  • 600 pounds of frozen hamburger patties apportioned into separate 20 pound cardboard boxes
  • 480 hot dogs (frozen, apportioned in boxes of 24 each)
  • 532 slices of individually wrapped American cheese slices
  • 5 adults/teenagers or one relatively large human for each stroller
  • 3 water bottles filled with lighter fluid
  • 3 more adults wearing backpacks full of Chick Fil A condiment packets (morons never monitor what is usually a fully stocked condiment station featuring high end mayonaisse), hot dog and hamburger buns. You're going to need big backpacks. The kind that are usually worn by folk who are carrying a small house (aka tent) and several weeks worth of food into the wilderness.
Step 0: Enter the park. Your toddlers will be on top of all the equipment you have stashed in the deep welled wagons. This will look strange to many an eagle eyed CM. If they wonder why the toddlers are riding so high in the wagon(s) assure them (the CMs) that you have more children tucked unobtrusively away underneath the top layer and that you certainly aren't going to open up an outdoor eatery in order to offset the costs of your vacation.
Step 1: Find an unobtrusive spot. In MK I prefer the crowded but manageable space between Splash and BTMRR, as near the water as I can get. I figure "George's hooting and hollerin' bbq" fits the themeing well enough.
Step 2: Assemble grill. Tools will be needed for this. You may have the urge to use the toddlers, but they really aren't so helpful. I find it is best to let them disperse into the crowds once you are in the park.
Step 3: Light the grill and get to cooking. Crowds are heavy enough in this area that I find the food really moves on its own. I've done a lot of research and find that $5.83/dog and $8.16/burger are really the ideal price points.

Two other quick tips. 1) One of the adults needs to be a smoker. You will need a lighter. But, the taste of delicious charcoal cooked meat really sells itself. 2) This is a tip that I learned from @Monty. Get one of those fancy name tags that makes it look like you're a cast member. When someone comes up to you to see what's going on, you can then claim to be a Disney employee. I go with the name Billy Iger, Bob's beloved and eccentric nephew.
I really wish I could like this a thousand times!

Kman101

It's exactly what you'd expect it to be. Right on par with what you'd pay out of pocket anyway. This is just Disney guaranteeing themselves two full meals from its guests upfront.

Yep. That's all it is. Can't say I'd see myself using this. Not telling anyone not to though. I don't know that it's a "deal". Just my opinion. It's not a terrible price point I guess. I paid 25 bucks for a burger fries and drink at DLuxe Burher the other day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom