New single day quick service dining plan test to begin at the Magic Kingdom

mwlillie

And the next announcement is any type of food or drinks are no longer allowed to be brought into the parks.

This also would allow management to cost average low crowds at any self service restaurant by adjusting what locations are offered on a monthly basis.

Also, you can bet because of higher standard item consumption overall food quality will go down (as it has in the last 5 years or so).

Another consideration is that Disney is about to raise food prices once again and by setting these "certificates" at what the food would have cost prior to the price hikes it would make it appear to be a bargain.

All in all, don't trust any executive at corporate anymore.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
And the next announcement is any type of food or drinks are no longer allowed to be brought into the parks.

This also would allow management to cost average low crowds at any self service restaurant by adjusting what locations are offered on a monthly basis.

Also, you can bet because of higher standard item consumption overall food quality will go down (as it has in the last 5 years or so).

Another consideration is that Disney is about to raise food prices once again and by setting these "certificates" at what the food would have cost prior to the price hikes it would make it appear to be a bargain.

All in all, don't trust any executive at corporate anymore.

I agree with what you posted except for being able to bring your own food/beverages into the parks. Realistically, I don't think they can't really stop that, not with all the special diets and whatnot that people have these days, without causing near-riots at the entrances. But the rest... Sadly, that is what we now expect out of Disney management. :arghh:

RSoxNo1

I can see this as potentially having value depending on the price point. I wonder if the "certificates" will be on the phone or physical certificates. Also it's an odd time of year for Tomorrowland Terrace to be open daily.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I can see this as potentially having value depending on the price point. I wonder if the "certificates" will be on the phone or physical certificates. Also it's an odd time of year for Tomorrowland Terrace to be open daily.

I agree. I wonder if it would be open strictly because of the single-day dining test, because of anticipated crowds around the marathon, or perhaps they are just testing something else, like different menu items, pricing, etc.

Mawg

My guess is the one day'ers are only eating one quick service a day or perhaps sharing a meal and opting for a couple of snacks and bringing in food. I don't see a lot of them eating two full QS meals a day. Disney is trying to entice them to eat more. I would think they should offer a reasonable price point. At a 25% discount and getting them to purchase 2 full meals they would make more than not offering it. In the end they'll still add on an occasional desert while they are there and probably still opt to have an additional snack later. Getting one more meal out of them at a discounted price that was way overblown to begin with makes money. I'm thinking $25 a day would be a great price point and still make Disney a lot of money.

docdebbi

You must admit, Disney is pretty much the only park around that doesn't offer a daily dining plan ticket. At least up here in the PA/NJ area, they all do. As do Sea World, Busch Gardens, etc.(never go to universal, don't know)
So they are not pioneering this concept.
I personally see no value in it either at Disney or any of the other parks. From what I can tell, really not a money saver, and a hassle to deal with. (restrictions about what you get and where and how often you get it). It is just easier to pay for what I want and be done.

We did take the all you care to eat vacation/hotel package last time we were at Sea World. It seemed a good deal then, but was a bit of a hassle: you had to have each person with their wrist band present in the line to get their food. Which meant we couldn't let someone settle the active little creatures down at a table and throw an iPhone at them to keep them in control while someone stood in the long line (you know- how we usually do it). And now they have also restricted it to "one side or dessert" each hour. Which means if your kids get a side of fries, you need to wait an hour to let them get back in line and get their dessert. Too much hassle for us, even if it did save me 5 bucks- which I doubt it does.

21stamps

I don't get it. Why would anyone buy this, if it's not a significant savings?

And if it is a significant savings, why would Disney offer it?

Makes no sense to me.
They're advertised for convenience, not discounts. Most amusements parks have this already..and I'm not sure but doesn't Universal have the option as well?

All of them are always worded as -"Prepaid Dining Plan".

I wouldn't do it, but I'm sure some people find it more convenient.

wdwfan22

They're advertised for convenience, not discounts. Most amusements parks have this already..and I'm not sure but doesn't Universal have the option as well?

All of them are always worded as -"Prepaid Dining Plan".

I wouldn't do it, but I'm sure some people find it more convenient.

Universal's is advertised as savings of up to 30% off the price or regular quick service meals. So yes some of them are advertised for discounts.

MissM

My guess is the one day'ers are only eating one quick service a day or perhaps sharing a meal and opting for a couple of snacks and bringing in food. I don't see a lot of them eating two full QS meals a day.
I agree. We never eat two full quick service meals in a day. We're Tampa Bay Area AP's so we only head out for a day at a time. We typically eat one meal over the course of our day (which has gone up to costing us nearly $30 for a couple burgers!!) and maybe grab a pretzel or something to share later on or something. Maybe a cookie to take home. I find it hard to believe many day trippers are doing multiple sit-down meals unless they are truly 1-park/1-day ticket holders looking to be there every single moment from open to close.

21stamps

Universal's is advertised as savings of up to 30% off the price or regular quick service meals. So yes some of them are advertised for discounts.
You're correct, I just looked and even my home park advertises it that way. I looked at Universal for December and didn't remember seeing savings, I definitely don't see the savings at our park. Our "all day dining" doesn't even include a drink.lol

Apparently they're popular though.

IMG_0184.PNG

IMG_0185.jpg

JoeCamel

You're correct, I just looked and even my home park advertises it that way. I looked at Universal for December and didn't remember seeing savings, I definitely don't see the savings at our park. Our "all day dining" doesn't even include a drink.lol

Apparently they're popular though.

View attachment 183148
View attachment 183150

If you like chicken and ribs you can make out at Universal. Otherwise not a deal.

Seems WDW is making plenty selling ray's burgers for $13 and a couple of dollar discount wouldn't hurt in the grand scheme of things. Most of the food is pure dreck so why would you want more of it unless "theme park food" is what you consider fine dining.

I will reserve my "cash grab" comment until pricing is released.

For those saying TT is not open during this time of year I do know it was open 2/22/13 and 2/22/14 or the Sunday closest to that date.

21stamps

If you like chicken and ribs you can make out at Universal. Otherwise not a deal.

Seems WDW is making plenty selling ray's burgers for $13 and a couple of dollar discount wouldn't hurt in the grand scheme of things. Most of the food is pure dreck so why would you want more of it unless "theme park food" is what you consider fine dining.

I will reserve my "cash grab" comment until pricing is released.

For those saying TT is not open during this time of year I do know it was open 2/22/13 and 2/22/14 or the Sunday closest to that date.
I think that with these types of plans most people don't see a savings.
Example- the all day dining above- citing that you can eat every 90 minutes! How many people actually eat more than once, and especially more than two times at a park?lol

With Universal the dining/mini golf deal looked attractive to me a few months ago. When we do go to Universal eventually, I'd do something like that.

George

Liker of Things
Complain, complain, complain...when life gives you lemons and all that. So, I've decided to turn the food pricing model that Disney has so aggressively followed the last decade into an advantage. First, you will need supplies. I recommend the following
  • 5 deep welled wagons
    images
  • 1 old school Weber charcoal grill still in the box -
    5b610ba3-d5dd-4709-91a9-d045d3ced9f3_1000.jpg
I recommend the model above since it is easy to remove ash.
  • screwdriver
  • 8-12 toddlers
  • crescent wrench
  • 170 pounds of charcoal briquets
  • pliers (may not be necessary but when assembling the grill it can be really helpful on the step when you're putting on the vent cover)
  • 600 pounds of frozen hamburger patties apportioned into separate 20 pound cardboard boxes
  • 480 hot dogs (frozen, apportioned in boxes of 24 each)
  • 532 slices of individually wrapped American cheese slices
  • 5 adults/teenagers or one relatively large human for each stroller
  • 3 water bottles filled with lighter fluid
  • 3 more adults wearing backpacks full of Chick Fil A condiment packets (morons never monitor what is usually a fully stocked condiment station featuring high end mayonaisse), hot dog and hamburger buns. You're going to need big backpacks. The kind that are usually worn by folk who are carrying a small house (aka tent) and several weeks worth of food into the wilderness.
Step 0: Enter the park. Your toddlers will be on top of all the equipment you have stashed in the deep welled wagons. This will look strange to many an eagle eyed CM. If they wonder why the toddlers are riding so high in the wagon(s) assure them (the CMs) that you have more children tucked unobtrusively away underneath the top layer and that you certainly aren't going to open up an outdoor eatery in order to offset the costs of your vacation.
Step 1: Find an unobtrusive spot. In MK I prefer the crowded but manageable space between Splash and BTMRR, as near the water as I can get. I figure "George's hooting and hollerin' bbq" fits the themeing well enough.
Step 2: Assemble grill. Tools will be needed for this. You may have the urge to use the toddlers, but they really aren't so helpful. I find it is best to let them disperse into the crowds once you are in the park.
Step 3: Light the grill and get to cooking. Crowds are heavy enough in this area that I find the food really moves on its own. I've done a lot of research and find that $5.83/dog and $8.16/burger are really the ideal price points.

Two other quick tips. 1) One of the adults needs to be a smoker. You will need a lighter. But, the taste of delicious charcoal cooked meat really sells itself. 2) This is a tip that I learned from @Monty. Get one of those fancy name tags that makes it look like you're a cast member. When someone comes up to you to see what's going on, you can then claim to be a Disney employee. I go with the name Billy Iger, Bob's beloved and eccentric nephew.

Last edited:

Bandini

Unless this was no more than $30,there is no benefit. I am glad they make it clear about one single serve drink lol. I guess this is why they got rid of the large cup.
Yup, one non-refillable drink. I'm just surprised they didn't include a snack since they raised the price of a Mickey Bar to $5. I would imagine that there will be a very slight savings if you purchase this, $1-2.

Ransom

At my local Six Flags (yeah, I know..no comparison...just hold on), you can get a season pass add-on that gets you lunch and dinner every time you go to the park. Yeah, the food's not great, but they do have some good-tasting, nutritional stuff if you go to the "fresh cafe" locations and stay away from the filler-laden burgers. I paid $90 for the entire season (which is six months here in the frozen north). It's a super deal.

Of course, Disney doesn't have to offer anything like that. But it's a stark difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom