News New security measures

s8film40

... Why on Earth does ANY guest need to bring a firearm to Disney World?
Not saying I agree with it but for personal protection. Honestly people who are worried about some sort of terrorist attack similar to the recent one will look at the changes Disney has made to security and realize firstly it won't stop anything like that and secondly obviously someone thinks there's potential for a threat and so there is a greater need now to arm themselves. So if anything I would think these measures would increase someones likelihood of taking a gun to the park.

G00fyDad

... Why on Earth does ANY guest need to bring a firearm to Disney World?

My father refuses to go to Disney World because he can't carry his firearm with him. Stupid. My dad is of the mindset that the government is rolling down the street in tanks ready to take his 9mm from him. :rolleyes:

I carry a firearm and have ZERO issue with leaving it at home during my WDW trips. The last thing I need is for it to fall out on a ride or something and then some child get hurt or killed. If someone is THAT insecure and scared of getting killed while at WDW then they need to stay home. How many people are angry drunks? Do you really want ANY of them getting blitzed at F&W and carrying a firearm?

(Now let the flaming and lynching begin...)

rucifee

Not saying I agree with it but for personal protection. Honestly people who are worried about some sort of terrorist attack similar to the recent one will look at the changes Disney has made to security and realize firstly it won't stop anything like that and secondly obviously someone thinks there's potential for a threat and so there is a greater need now to arm themselves. So if anything I would think these measures would increase someones likelihood of taking a gun to the park.

I agree with you, these measures definitely would increase the likelihood. I was down at Universal yesterday and even without a bag I went through a metal detector. Makes more sense to put all guests through them, "random scanning" dads and moms with their kids is nonsense.

flynnibus

Premium Member
CSC just seemed to be there as a visual "we are doing something" gesture, but in reality its quite the opposite. Anyone who sees how they operate will be able to conclude how they are absolutely impacting guest safety in no way, as they are bypassed by 95%+ of the guests who enter the parks.

I think you are making a huge mistake in that you judge based on what you assume their job is supposed to be.

By your logic police do not impact highway safety because they aren't enforcing against every vehicle. Not every model works on 100% engagement. And obviously what csc is doing is what they were being asked to do... Because Disney wouldn't let it slide right in front of them if it were not

lostpro9het

At HS now, they have some teen waving folks into the scanner. We, as well as another 15 others, just walked right by him no problem. Top Men, for sure.

s8film40

I haven't been to any of the parks since any of this started but I was looking at these photos from Universal (posted on the UOAP FB page), this is over the past few days so not just a one time occurrence. I am guessing that they may be more thoroughly scanning everyone or at least a larger percentage than Disney based on these back ups.
3GyO7gh.jpg

V6QAC0R.jpg

nDy8OlC.jpg

lazyboy97o

I haven't been to any of the parks since any of this started but I was looking at these photos from Universal (posted on the UOAP FB page), this is over the past few days so not just a one time occurrence. I am guessing that they may be more thoroughly scanning everyone or at least a larger percentage than Disney based on these back ups.
3GyO7gh.jpg

V6QAC0R.jpg

nDy8OlC.jpg
But that mass of people is safer! Nobody would think to do anything right there in the garages.

Jahona

3GyO7gh.jpg

V6QAC0R.jpg

nDy8OlC.jpg

Got to love the sign "Get Wait Times In No Time." I wonder if they have a wait time for security listed in their app.

JoeCamel

I'd rather pull my own teeth than stand in that line

Wonder why those people decided to come so late in the day? Don't they know the parks opened at 9 on that day with EPA at 8 meaning the gates open at 7:30 - 7:40 so you need to park your car by 7? From the looks of that it is 10:00 or later. Half a park day wasted by poor planing.

MissM

I went to the Studios and then MK Saturday. At the Studios, we walked from the parking lot. My husband was carrying a large jacket over his arm ahead of the colder forecast that evening and they specifically waived him past the bag check area and told him to wait on the other side. He could have had anything under that coat! They hurried him along to the other side while I waited in line for a bag check of my camera bag. I too was carrying a coat over my arm and despite the relatively thorough inspection of my bag, they didn't even glance at my coat either. There was a single pop-up tent metal scanner just past the bag check but I saw no one scanned when I came in, nor when I left the same way. (We stopped to use the restroom right there outside the gates and the lady manning the metal detector just kept complaining it was cold. She wasn't even remotely paying attention.)

Coming into MK around 8:30pm or so, bag check was less thorough and I still saw no one being scanned. Nor any K9 or other officers. Everyone just seemed to be milling around more than anything. We were through bag check and in very quickly.

My husband and I both commented on how out of place the pop-up tent scanners looked, how creepy it made things feel and yet...how utterly useless it all seemed given the cold weather and the abundance of people carrying or wearing bulky coats without a single glance at any of them. Just all felt really scare tactic pointless and kinda sad to see at Disney.

EngineJoe

I went to the Studios and then MK Saturday. At the Studios, we walked from the parking lot. My husband was carrying a large jacket over his arm ahead of the colder forecast that evening and they specifically waived him past the bag check area and told him to wait on the other side. He could have had anything under that coat! They hurried him along to the other side while I waited in line for a bag check of my camera bag. I too was carrying a coat over my arm and despite the relatively thorough inspection of my bag, they didn't even glance at my coat either. There was a single pop-up tent metal scanner just past the bag check but I saw no one scanned when I came in, nor when I left the same way. (We stopped to use the restroom right there outside the gates and the lady manning the metal detector just kept complaining it was cold. She wasn't even remotely paying attention.)

Coming into MK around 8:30pm or so, bag check was less thorough and I still saw no one being scanned. Nor any K9 or other officers. Everyone just seemed to be milling around more than anything. We were through bag check and in very quickly.

My husband and I both commented on how out of place the pop-up tent scanners looked, how creepy it made things feel and yet...how utterly useless it all seemed given the cold weather and the abundance of people carrying or wearing bulky coats without a single glance at any of them. Just all felt really scare tactic pointless and kinda sad to see at Disney.

Honestly, they should just have security gates that everyone has to pass through but dress it up like the wardrobe door in Narnia.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom