News New security measures

G00fyDad

Fyi, things that will freak out disney security:
Athletic tape.
View attachment 123978
This got me a conference with a security supervisor and another trip through the screener.

What possible reason could they give for pulling you aside for that? This begs the question... Do they have a list of "no-fly" items they screen for? If so I want to test that limit. For example, if I bring in a coconut shell carved in the shape of a monkey, would they stop me? How about a leg from a female mannequin?

lostpro9het

What possible reason could they give for pulling you aside for that? This begs the question... Do they have a list of "no-fly" items they screen for? If so I want to test that limit. For example, if I bring in a coconut shell carved in the shape of a monkey, would they stop me? How about a leg from a female mannequin?
No idea but the questions I got from each of the two security CMs were:
What is this?
Why do have it?
Why do you need it?
Why did you bring it?
How do you use it?

I probably didn't help myself when I stumbled when answering these questions because I felt each was obvious considering the bag that he took the tape from:
20151222_091919.jpg

note2001

No idea but the questions I got from each of the two security CMs were:
What is this?
Why do have it?
Why do you need it?
Why did you bring it?
How do you use it?

I probably didn't help myself when I stumbled when answering these questions because I felt each was obvious considering the bag that he took the tape from:
View attachment 123981

Interesting that those questions all point to the questions they're allowed to ask of service animals, but replace "Why do you need it?" with "What does it do for you?"

Maybe they were afraid you'd try drawing your own crowd control lines on the pathways.

habuma

FWIW, my experience this past week at WDW wasn't that bad at all. They weren't running everyone through the metal detectors (they need more scanners if they're gonna do that), but I did have to go through one once. No big deal. I didn't notice a significant impact on the time it took me to enter the parks.

The biggest hang-up was when a bag screener told me that I couldn't bring my monopod into the park because selfie sticks are banned. That led to a discussion between me, the screener, and guest relations in which the screener learned the difference between a monopod and a selfie stick and concluded with me entering the park with a small amount of satisfaction that I was right. Even then, it didn't slow me down that much.

I'm not excited about additional security and I'm not convinced that the measures taken are perfect. But it didn't having a marked impact on my day and I welcome anything that might make me and my family just a tiny bit safer.

s8film40

Disney security, two of them.
Okay I guess that makes sense probably during the bag check. I assumed it might be CSC since anyone working at Disney for any reasonable amount of time would know what that is. Anyone who could make it six months there and not know what that is just isn't aware of their surroundings. So I'm guessing they were new or just never payed attention.

Marc Russell

If I were to be a gun toting terrorist.... Why would I walk through the front gate.... When there are hundreds of entry points where I can pose as almost anything and get onsite?

I think this is yet another 'show them something...'

Does anyone think it would be that hard for someone to simply get hired to work there and do something after simply getting backstage?

This kind of stuff isn't going to do anything to stop the determined... Only the irrational stupid ones. I bet they fear ex employees more than isis
Employees also go through security checks.

dreamfinder

So Disney security is questioning medical devices?

Uh. Uhhhh. Uhhhhhhh.

This is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Throw in an adult diaper, trench coat, and some zip ties and you too can be a NASA Astronaut! (or whatever was in her car) I wouldn't doubt if someone in security thought that tape would only be in a theme park to do bad things with.

FerretAfros

Those guys are going to have a rough time when the marathon comes around. My one equation though were you questioned by CSC or Disney security?
I'm not sure why the marathon would be an issue. WDW has been doing pre-race runner screenings since fall 2013 (following the Boston Marathon bombings); for some reason, DLR didn't begin doing them until this year's Avengers Half weekend, which was coincidentally the same weekend as the Paris attacks

Even though security is very thorough in making sure that every last pocket on your bag is open (even small fuel belts and waist packs), they've managed to keep the crowds moving at a steady clip, and have an 'express lane' for runners without bags. Here's my mom getting checked during the 2014 Marathon Weekend 5K:
154893_10102109267587675_1004310201_n.jpg

There's really not much they can do to secure the entire course, but they have increased police and K-9 presence in areas with large crowds. I believe spectators at the finish line also have to go through the security checkpoint.

If they have trouble letting guests in the parks with athletic tape though, I'm sure they'll have a field day with all the weird-but-harmless stuff that shows up during Marathon Weekend!

PhilharMagician

They complain about athletic tape? Last friday I had to sit next to a guy that was filming POTC with a selfie stick. How did that get pass their crack security?
No athletic tape on it o_O

Good luck to all those visiting during the next 2 weeks. We should have some interesting stories.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom