News New security measures

BuddyThomas

Maybe it's just because I lived through 9/11 in NYC, but I seriously don't know what could possibly be the issue with having a little extra security, even if it is imperfect.

PS - I have a feeling that this thread is not long for this world.

BuddyThomas

Which is a bummer, as some big changes are coming to light but being lost in some fairly off-topic posts.
Yeah, I agree, it is an important topic but people are taking it to a political level and we all know the mods don't want those types of discussions on here. Believe me, I am all for leaving threads open and allowing free discussion, and I hate the locking and deleting but it ain't my website, so when these discussions spiral out of control, I always know I'm gonna see a big gold lock the next time I sign in. Let's hope people calm down so we can discuss this rationally without a lock or delete.

Last edited:

AEfx

Maybe it's just because I lived through 9/11 in NYC, but I seriously don't know what could possibly be the issue with having a little extra security, even if it is imperfect.

PS - I have a feeling that this thread is not long for this world.

The thread isn't going anywhere. If you think this is somehow "heavy" talk - you haven't been around long. ;) We haven't even bested the last paper napkin/receipt logo scandal thread.

As to the extra security - people are going to complain, because it's going to be a logistical nightmare and the park entry is going to go from painfully slow to excruciatingly slow. And folks don't want to be manhandled every time they enter a Disney park. I'm not saying I agree or disagree about the measures, but that's how a lot of folks will look at it.

Being totally honest, I only see MK as the place who really needs upped security. The only real symbolic target at WDW is the Castle.

lazyboy97o

Not really disagreeing with you, but trying to get more context to your point. Do you feel this way about any/all themed lands or IP specific themed lands? Because your point would apply to both, wouldn't it?

In the case of star wars they have so many different worlds/planet i think that leaves a lot of opportunity for growth -- but I do concede that this is unique
The attacks of 9/11 were executed utilizing objects allowed through airport security. They're proof that a planned, coordinated attack will get around such measures. Even since then, the increased security response to those attacks continues to repeatedly fail tests and even a few planned attacks that didn't happen due to bumbling of the perpetrator.

AEfx

The attacks of 9/11 were executed utilizing objects allowed through airport security. They're proof that a planned, coordinated attack will get around such measures. Even since then, the increased security response to those attacks continues to repeatedly fail tests and even a few planned attacks that didn't happen due to bumbling of the perpetrator.

It always makes me think of The Bodyguard - the first time that I heard the concept of "if someone is willing to trade their life for yours, not much you can do about it".

That's why from what I am reading this simply seems to be an extension of the existing security theater. I'm not going to sit here and give any ideas (though I don't need to, they already know them all) - if someone wanted to get some sort of object or device (or parts of such) into WDW, there isn't a dang thing anyone can do about it.

s8film40

Yep, there's a lot of things someone or a group could do while circumventing the security measures in place. For example imagine someone launching one of these from their vehicle as they drive around the park controlling it. Kind of scary, but the truth is when someone wants to do something they likely will.

AEfx

But they deleted (locked?) a very, very similar thread to this just after the Paris attacks. Some of the posts there were pretty much the same as here. Again, not advocating for a lock. Just expecting it.

PS - where is this paper napkin thread? I love reading wacky stuff!

;)

I think you'll find the difference was that thread didn't even belong in this forum to begin with - Paris attacks did not directly affect Disney and were not "Disney News" - more than the content of the posts (though because of the timely/emotion factor, and that this site is based in UK, it certainly could have been that as well). I didn't read that thread but from what I am gathering that sounds like what the difference was.

Here, this is a policy change that we have had several insiders confirm, including the site admin - which makes this all pretty much fair game.

As to the paper napkin thread...oy vey, anyone want to help me out? We are talking what, five or six years ago when they changed over to the Disney Parks logos as opposed to park specific? That one is usually my go-to in my head of how heated things can get over the little things...LOL.

AEfx

I expect the attention trolls to be out in force. Gonna be a long day for @The Mom

I guess I'm just desensitized but what is it we are so scared of on this topic? Lotta people gonna be "We gotta protect 'merica! If we have to strip search and shave our heads to enter the parks we will, it's in the name of safety!" and a lot of people are gonna be like "more useless BS that does nothing to actually keep us safe".

But I'm not getting where the landmines are here, unless we are talking about masks/facial coverings, which I think we can do in a practical matter (as I did in a previous posting) without bringing the Internet to it's knees, LOL.

PhotoDave219

I guess I'm just desensitized but what is it we are so scared of on this topic? Lotta people gonna be "We gotta protect 'merica! If we have to strip search and shave our heads to enter the parks we will, it's in the name of safety!" and a lot of people are gonna be like "more useless BS that does nothing to actually keep us safe".

But I'm not getting where the landmines are here, unless we are talking about masks/facial coverings, which I think we can do in a practical matter (as I did in a previous posting) without bringing the Internet to it's knees, LOL.

Well aloe helps for razor burn...

BuddyThomas

I think you'll find the difference was that thread didn't even belong in this forum to begin with - Paris attacks did not directly affect Disney and were not "Disney News" - more than the content of the posts (though because of the timely/emotion factor, and that this site is based in UK, it certainly could have been that as well). I didn't read that thread but from what I am gathering that sounds like what the difference was.

Here, this is a policy change that we have had several insiders confirm, including the site admin - which makes this all pretty much fair game.

As to the paper napkin thread...oy vey, anyone want to help me out? We are talking what, five or six years ago when they changed over to the Disney Parks logos as opposed to park specific? That one is usually my go-to in my head of how heated things can get over the little things...LOL.
Wait, what, huh!? This site is based in the UK?! That is totally cool, but I just had no idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom