New Rumor Says Further Demolitions Cancelled & Clubs Could Reopen!

menamechris

I could post a rumor that there is going to be a smurfs attraction constructed in DHS, that doesn't mean any of it is based in fact..

And the question is - why would you do that? You probably wouldn't. But you would entertain someone else's insistence on something so ridiculous to...humor them?

on the other side of this whole thread though.. is there ANYTHING to suggest that hyperion wharf ISN'T moving forward as planned?

We have silence from Disney (when we were promised additional details and developments). We see a lack of any real progress. And we have sources (unconfirmed of course) that say there is a change in direction. If you are waiting for Disney make a statement about it - well, that will never happen. I am guessing it will still be re-named HW, but I don't think the concept art will ever be a reality...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
on the other side of this whole thread though.. is there ANYTHING to suggest that hyperion wharf ISN'T moving forward as planned?

You mean besides the fact that the only thing being built for HW is what appears to be a "park?"

lebeau

Original Poster
We have silence from Disney (when we were promised additional details and developments). We see a lack of any real progress. And we have sources (unconfirmed of course) that say there is a change in direction. If you are waiting for Disney make a statement about it - well, that will never happen. I am guessing it will still be re-named HW, but I don't think the concept art will ever be a reality...

Excatly. This is an unconfirmed rumor so it should be taken with a grain of salt. But there is plenty of evidence that seems to support it. Doesn't make it true. But it makes the rumor plausible.

I'm not placing any bets one way or another. But if this does turn out to be the truth (and I suspect there must be at least a little truth in the rumor), it sure would explain a lot of what we've been seeing lately.

Ignohippo

You mean besides the fact that the only thing being built for HW is what appears to be a "park?"

As I said before, just because a couple of clubs may be coming certainly doesn't mean HW isn't happening. It does say though, that their original plan is not coming along as planned. From a theming and architectural standpoint, I expect the concept to be moving along as planned (however slowly that may be).

It's for the better. A mix of retail, restaurants and clubs would be exactly what the area should be.

jt04

go to HOB sunday nights and see people packed wall to wall with high amounts of alcohol. Disney doesn't mind, they just dont want to do it themselves, which is why they should have just outsourced the clubs in the first place

But wait, I thought the WestEnd was nothing but a ghost town. Someone really needs to be appointed the "keeper of the talking points".

So wait, over 21s that like to dance and drink is a 'small but vocal audience'? JT, here's a quarter. Go buy a clue.

At Disney, yes it is a small percentage of their guests and is poorer than dirt in this economy. That is why no third parties are likely to step in and not only pay for renovations and then the rent but I am sure Disney would pass on the cost of the necessary security. Ain't happening with such narrow profit margins. And before anyone screams about CW making boat loads of money, reviving PI would only dilute those. The Orlando club scene can only financially support so much "infrastructure".

So, I'm a new poster here.. I've been lurking around for years but never registered.... did so because this kind of thing happens a lot here... Anyway.. Just curious.. what makes someone elses opinion less valued here then your own? I know JT has 'Disney Fanboi' itis.. but whats wrong with that really?

Either way, apparently personal attacks are ok on here as long as you are on the 'in list' with this website...

not trying to upset anyone (or the owner of the site) but this is really troubling.. Disney is about family, and togetherness.. A heated discussion is fine, but personally attacking people and degrading them on here? Really?

For what it's worth, my thought is that regardless of what happens at PI these days, it's likely too late for anything to be done as far as ressurecting AC or any of the other clubs.. If any of the spaces were 'leased' out, I'm sure it would be completely new concepts..

Keep in mind that this is a rumor based in absolutely no fact whatsoever... so, we'll just have ot see what happens

Thanks for speaking truth to the dour. This group can't help themselves. They want utopia without paying for it. It is part of the growing up process. I'm happy to be helping them.

Folks, you may be missing the point on this one. This doesn't mean HW isn't happening. If the rumor is true, it really just means Hyperion Wharf could be a mix of retail, restaurants and clubs – exactly what the concept for HW should've been in the first place.

I'm still incredibly confused as to why they need to theme this area as Hyperion Wharf. I like the name and the concept art, however the thing they need to do most of all (besides getting tenants) is get rid of the concept of the 3 different areas. It made sense originally once PI was created, but now that they've gotten rid of PI, there's no reason to have The Marketplace, The West End, and HW. The three areas creates a false boundary and stops traffic flow. The best thing they could do at this point would be to spread the Disney-owned stores throughout the area. Their efforts now should be to create one unified DTD.

Obviously, this wasn't their initial concept for HW. But, in these horrible economic times, I'm sure they've come to realize they can't close the door on any possible tenants. The clubs worked before and will add life and make the area more appealing to new businesses.

I would imagine they won't allow more than 2 or 3 of the clubs to re-open no matter how desperate they are to fill space. They know the road block PI was and wouldn't repeat that mistake again. If something like AC were to re-open, I certainly would hope they'd insist on it being a restaurant that appealed to all-ages day and night.

This is why I don't get the hate for HW. It is obvious they plan a nightly street celebration, clubs, live entertainment and such. It just won't facilitate a nightly rave or be designed with the aethetics of the French Quarter. And I don't mean the resort on property. It is Disney. CW and Orlando can do the raves.

because his "opinion" most of the time just exists to annoy other members.

No, not true. Some just can't handle the truth. Apologies to Jack Nicholson.

Wow, harsh but hilarious.

Anyways everyone knows Disney will never reopen clubs because of the all of the massive drunk driving accidents that happened on a nightly basis. Oh wait JT made that whole conspiracy up a while back.

Notice no old timers refuted me on this. Because it is a fact.

I'm willing to wager that JT never even set foot in PI when it was open. Newsflash, people like to drink, dance, and have a little fun while on vacation, and yes that includes while at WDW. He reminds me of a character from that Steve Carell movie, you can probably guess the one I'm thinking of. ;)

Wow, you must be a comedy writer. No wonder the Comedy Warehouse closed.

Oh, and how much would you care to wager on that bet? That is if you have any spare cash in this wretched economy.

Keynesians :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

menamechris

As I said before, just because a couple of clubs may be coming certainly doesn't mean HW isn't happening. It does say though, that their original plan is not coming along as planned. From a theming and architectural standpoint, I expect the concept to be moving along as planned (however slowly that may be).

It's for the better. A mix of retail, restaurants and clubs would be exactly what the area should be.

I think the irony for many, however, is that Disney's vision for HW was the specific exclusion of clubs. I certainly don't have a problem with a balance of retail, restaurants, and clubs - I don't think most people do.

scottnj1966

I know there are a few DTD and Hyperion Wharf threads out there, but I thought this rumor was BIG enough to deserve it's own thread.

According to Save Pleasure Island, the remaining clubs on Pleasure Island MAY be re-opened by third parties.

Here's a link:

http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/2011/04/pi-update-new-rumor-says-further.html

"I want to make clear that the following information was provided to us by one of our sources but I've not been able to get any kind of secondary verification. The source is reporting that allegedly all further demolitions on Pleasure Island have been stopped. The real bombshell information though, if true, is that some or all of the clubs will be made available for 3rd party leases, as is, for any use including being refurbished and reopened as clubs!

The information given to us is that Disney would not reopen the clubs, they would have to be 3rd party leases. We're told that the clubs could not be the same as what was there previously but they could be "similar". Not entirely sure what that means but my guess is that Mannequins, for example, could not reopen as Mannequins but it could reopen as a dance club with a different theme with a revolving dance floor (which we're told is still in there). Ditto the other clubs; they could be leased and reopened in a similar to what they used to be yet different manner.

If this rumor is true, this is the best possible news short of Disney just reopening the places themselves! Nightlife would return to Walt Disney World and Pleasure Island would no longer be a ghost town. Other shops and restaurants would want to be part of that action! I want to emphasize again that this is just a rumor from one source and I have no verification of its accuracy. It should not be relied-upon by anyone for any decision-making.

Does this mean that the Hyperion Wharf project has been postponed or perhaps even canceled? I don't know. Now that Spring Break and Easter crowds have gone we'll know soon whether demolition walls go up around BET and AC per the prior rumors as well as the blueprints we posted here on the Blog. We'll soon see if work on the amphitheater begins anew. But wouldn't this be awesome if it's true! "

Ghost town? Maybe in the area's that the building are emptied but DTD is always packed. Try finding a place to park? When they add more shops and resturants they will be packed just liked the rest of them.
I know a few people want the clubs back but they will not do it. It has nothing to do with the clubs, it was the type of crowds it started to draw. They stopped it cold.

I do hope they decide to reopen Adventurers again. that was in a class by itself. It could stand on its own. Serve food and drinks and Ill be there!!!

MAF

So if the clubs were closed due to drunk driving is truly a fact, then where is the evidence to back it up JT? :shrug:

Flight Safety

Just an observation on what is often posted around here that is completely false. Downtown Disney is not a ghost town, far from it, even in its current state. On a nightly basis the restaurants have lines out the door, the parking lots are full, even the West Side lot is congested. Regardless of what you think about DTD, it is not true to say it's a ghost town.

I second that! I was just saying I feel like were still in MK there are people everywhere!

puntagordabob

When we were at Disneyland's DTD back in Oct.....seemed like their DTD had quite a bunch of night time activities for adults.... why is it that here in WDW we cannot do this??? How do they keep the troublemakers out of their DTD?

jt04

So if the clubs were closed due to drunk driving is truly a fact, then where is the evidence to back it up JT? :shrug:

I never said that. It caused a change in the way they operated. It was a series of these type changes that eventually lead to PI's failure. It was a long slow demise.

You have no idea whatsoever how they pushed the alcohol in those days. It was a machine.

menamechris

You have no idea whatsoever how they pushed the alcohol in those days. It was a machine.

That's interesting - because I have always heard the argument that PI failed because people weren't buying enough alcohol for them to make a profit. That people were just going and hanging out... So which is it? Or is it maybe neither of those because they are just empty speculation as to why Disney did what they did?

jt04

You said it was a FACT just on the last page. Surely you haven't forgotten what you just posted minutes ago have you?

Stop playing dumb. At least I hope you are playing.:lookaroun I never said PI went out of business due to the scaling back of alcohol sales in the early days. I have always said it was only one factor.

Please at least try to keep up.

jt04

That's interesting - because I have always heard the argument that PI failed because people weren't buying enough alcohol for them to make a profit. That people were just going and hanging out... So which is it? Or is it maybe neither of those because they are just empty speculation as to why Disney did what they did?

This was the final nail in PI's coffin. Out of desperation they opened the gates and added more nights for cast members to bring in CMs as customers. Who of course can't afford a large tab.

Remember from the time PI opened until it closed many laws changed. Proprieters became accountable if they served too much alcohol to an individual. Without the hardsell of alcohol and the pressure Disney faced to scale back the excess, PI was doomed to fail. And fail it did. It is just too bad it took the Comedy Warehouse and the AC with it.

backinaction

i love a good disney cat fight. all i know is there was a fight outside the BET club every friday and saturday night. They basically had to place a cop right outside the club on the weekends. How come no one on here ever talks about bringing back the BET club LOL:zipit:

menamechris

This was the final nail in PI's coffin. Out of desperation they opened the gates and added more nights for cast members to bring in CMs as customers. Who of course can't afford a large tab.

Remember from the time PI opened until it closed many laws changed. Proprieters became accountable if they served too much alcohol to an individual. Without the hardsell of alcohol and the pressure Disney faced to scale back the excess, PI was doomed to fail. And fail it did. It is just too bad it took the Comedy Warehouse and the AC with it.

So if it is accountability that Disney is concerned about? Why do they allow hundreds to still go out every weekend to "drink around the world" in World Showcase? I don't know about you, but I have seen many a-stumblin'-drunks there...

jt04

When we were at Disneyland's DTD back in Oct.....seemed like their DTD had quite a bunch of night time activities for adults.... why is it that here in WDW we cannot do this??? How do they keep the troublemakers out of their DTD?

Simply get rid of the clubs. This is a formula for success. That does not equate to no dancing or live music or fun. Disney has learned to add entertainment like ElecTRONica that does not alienate large numbers of Disney's core audience. This aint complicated.

jt04

So if it is accountability that Disney is concerned about? Why do they allow hundreds to still go out every weekend to "drink around the world" in World Showcase? I don't know about you, but I have seen many a-stumblin'-drunks there...

I haven't and I have spent many evenings there. I'm not doubting it happens but I know that the WS bartenders are under the same laws as anybody. What I have seen is people buy bottles of alcohol in the stores and then drink that. But I also observed they are careful not to be seen doing this. So that tells me they know being in a stupor will get you removed. I just can't believe Disney lets people stumble around potentially hurting a child and as I said I have never witnessed such an incident.

jt04

i love a good disney cat fight. all i know is there was a fight outside the BET club every friday and saturday night. They basically had to place a cop right outside the club on the weekends. How come no one on here ever talks about bringing back the BET club LOL:zipit:

They had to add those security boxes that elevate too permanently installed. It was not just one club either. The sheriff department was constatntly called out there and the seriousness of the crimes being committed were escalating.

Universal has the advantage of being able to record all the cars and people going in and out. Disney didn't have this advantage. And PI was becomming a hot spot for drugs and crime.

The deteriorating condition had nothing to do with BET either. Don't even try that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom