New Rumor Says Further Demolitions Cancelled & Clubs Could Reopen!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Agreed. If clubs were dying and there was no demand, then the ones in boardwalk would not be so popular, neither would citywalk.

There are only 2 clubs at the Boardwalk. JellyRolls, which is very popular. Then there is Atlantic Dance Hall, which is very much the opposite.

I am a big proponent of nighttime entertainment at WDW. I however have little to no interest in dance clubs. I would like to see the AC re open of course. But quite frankly I would prefer Disney to have a place like Margharittaville. Maybe a true Beer Garden, or a nice Italian/Californian inspired wine bar. These are ideas I would get excited for.

jakeman

There are only 2 clubs at the Boardwalk. JellyRolls, which is very popular. Then there is Atlantic Dance Hall, which is very much the opposite.

I am a big proponent of nighttime entertainment at WDW. I however have little to no interest in dance clubs. I would like to see the AC re open of course. But quite frankly I would prefer Disney to have a place like Margharittaville. Maybe a true Beer Garden, or a nice Italian/Californian inspired wine bar. These are ideas I would get excited for.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I really have no use for dance clubs, even Jellyrolls with their "requested songs" gets tired after a while (really people, you travel 2000 miles to hear Sweet Caroline 3 times a night?).

A few places around property open late that serve a more sophisticated palate would be welcome. A true tap room, or as xdan suggested, a wine bar that is open past 11 p.m. would be great additions.

devoy1701

It's named after the drink, not the pizza! Margaritaville :wave: :D

I agree with you though. I'm not big on the whole dance club thing and techno lights and bumpin and grinding going on... But I do like a good bar with good live music, and a place to get up and enjoy the music if it so suits you. For me Jellyrolls is the perfect kind of place, but it would be nice to get some other similar type venues with different genres. A good jazz club or a big band/swing joint, pop hits, country, etc. I would be in heaven if they had different types of live music bars like that!

mydogipluto

After forgetting about the "Backstory" to PI, I did some research to satisfy by couriosity. Lots of rumors in past to what was coming and changes to be made.

This one got my interest. Wish they would have done it. Spent to time to do a model and everything. At least we know that not all announcements come true! May yet be hope for AC

disney-world-monorail-expansion-1977.png

FYI - that is the monorail passing thru!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It's named after the drink, not the pizza! Margaritaville :wave: :D

I agree with you though. I'm not big on the whole dance club thing and techno lights and bumpin and grinding going on... But I do like a good bar with good live music, and a place to get up and enjoy the music if it so suits you. For me Jellyrolls is the perfect kind of place, but it would be nice to get some other similar type venues with different genres. A good jazz club or a big band/swing joint, pop hits, country, etc. I would be in heaven if they had different types of live music bars like that!

HAHA, I always do that.

Speaking of places with different live music, there is Raglan Road and House of Blues. Raglan particularly has some very talented performers.

The reason I suggested a Margaritaville type place is, I enjoy the tiki bar style atmosphere. On a nice warm night, what is better then hearing some Jimmy Buffet and having a tropical drink, or Island style lager and just taking it easy.

Country...

How great would it be to have a country bar. Country is really coming on strong in the music world right now. The biggest tours of the summer this year are both country acts, Taylor Swift, and Kenny Chesney w/zac brown. I think that kind of place would be a big hit.

lebeau

Original Poster
But the back story is the entire justification for the Island. You certainly did not need to know any of it to have a good time there. But if you were ever there and wondered why mannequins were hanging around a huge turntable, if you ever wondered why Videopolis and Cage were in an old scientific lab or if you ever wondered why a restaurant was called Fireworks Factory, the back story provided that guidance.

It was just plain fun and was an example of the high quality imagineering that existed at that time.

Disclaimer: I never really cared much one way or another about the backstory.

BUT, it always felt to me like someone came in after the fact and wrote a text book to justify what was already there instead of building a place with a unified theme to begin with. To me, that's putting the cart before the horse. I actually see the PI backstory as a failure of imagineering.

Pioneer Hall

After forgetting about the "Backstory" to PI, I did some research to satisfy by couriosity. Lots of rumors in past to what was coming and changes to be made.

This one got my interest. Wish they would have done it. Spent to time to do a model and everything. At least we know that not all announcements come true! May yet be hope for AC

disney-world-monorail-expansion-1977.png

FYI - that is the monorail passing thru!

Like many ideas, it was proposed and cost just got in the way. However, the documents you sign if you purchase DVC at SSR does make mention that the monorail system can be expanded there at any time. While I am 99.99% sure that it will never happen, it is nice to hear that Disney is keeping their options open just in case Mickey decides to start buying some lottery tickets.

Wilt Dasney

Yes. I'm with you completely. I much prefer sitting down for some live entertainment with a drink to dancing.

71jason

BUT, it always felt to me like someone came in after the fact and wrote a text book to justify what was already there instead of building a place with a unified theme to begin with. To me, that's putting the cart before the horse. I actually see the PI backstory as a failure of imagineering.

Having seen Jim Korkis' presentation on PI at Congaloosh, I think this is basically right. Disney wanted the feel of a warehouse district turned into a nightclub district, as was all the rage at that time (in fact, he showed pictures of a similar district somewhere in Canada that PI ended up closely resembling), and decided to write a backstory after the fact.

In the end, not sure it mattered much tho. The only place that really kept up the backstory was Mannequins. There were a few little Easter eggs in the AdvClub, but the actors never even name-checked old Merriweather. And I think PI worked on its own terms, without a complicated faux history.

Wilt Dasney

Disclaimer: I never really cared much one way or another about the backstory.

Knowing I won't change anybody's mind either way on this, but as someone alluded to earlier in the thread...PI's whole backstory seemed designed to explain why buildings that looked like plain factories actually housed a vibrant and textured history. (They ARE plain factories by day...but by night they come alive!)

I can admire a certain creative spin in that...but I can't shake the feeling that it's akin to a practitioner of modern art explaining why a blank canvas is really a metaphor for [insert layer of meaning here].

The level of detail also makes me think of the claim that the cult of story rose up under Eisner, where everything had to have an explicit history, as opposed to the decontextualized vignettes (HM, PotC) that defined imagineering in Walt's day.

Pioneer Hall

Having seen Jim Korkis' presentation on PI at Congaloosh, I think this is basically right. Disney wanted the feel of a warehouse district turned into a nightclub district, as was all the rage at that time (in fact, he showed pictures of a similar district somewhere in Canada that PI ended up closely resembling), and decided to write a backstory after the fact.

In the end, not sure it mattered much tho. The only place that really kept up the backstory was Mannequins. There were a few little Easter eggs in the AdvClub, but the actors never even name-checked old Merriweather. And I think PI worked on its own terms, without a complicated faux history.

I think that was a big problem with the backstory of Pleasure Island (and by extension Typhoon Lagoon since they tried to tie them together). The story was great and incredibly thorough, but people didn't really pay much attention to it. You really had to read all of the plaques outside the club in order to get what was going on. It's unfortunate that a great story was somewhat put to waste.

flavious27

I think that was a big problem with the backstory of Pleasure Island (and by extension Typhoon Lagoon since they tried to tie them together). The story was great and incredibly thorough, but people didn't really pay much attention to it. You really had to read all of the plaques outside the club in order to get what was going on. It's unfortunate that a great story was somewhat put to waste.

I think that the story shouldn't get into the way of the experience, but add to it. This is how disney does it, and they usually do it well.

TP2000

I think that the story shouldn't get into the way of the experience, but add to it. This is how disney does it, and they usually do it well.

Yes, they do, but their best stories in the parks/resorts are kept to one sentence.

And it has to be an easy sentence that is quickly understood by a casual tourist from Ohio or Scotland who doesn't know or care who the current WDW President is or what the Orange Bird was or where the Venetian Resort was going to go. Some great examples of fantastic themed experiences summed up in one easy-to-comprehend sentence;

Boat ride through a village being ransacked by pirates.

Spooky tour of old mansion haunted by ghosts.

Roller coaster rocket ride through space.

There are dozens more created since 1955. You can add to that list;

Nightclubs with valid liquor licenses in old warehouse district.

All the convoluted backstory in the world can't save a bad concept from itself. Words are very cheap, and they get cheaper every year as technology makes them easier to pull together and present to the public. If a theme park or resort concept can't be explained in one simple sentence to a tourist from Ohio who only visits once per decade, then it usually isn't worth explaining because the concept can't stand up on its own.

Mouse Detective

But I do like a good bar with good live music, and a place to get up and enjoy the music if it so suits you. For me Jellyrolls is the perfect kind of place, but it would be nice to get some other similar type venues with different genres. A good jazz club or a big band/swing joint, pop hits, country, etc. I would be in heaven if they had different types of live music bars like that!

You know, Disney World used to have a place kind of like that, you know, different types of live music bars. One had rock, one had pop hits, one had techno, one had soul and one even had old 70's disco music. It's been awhile now but I think the place like that was called.......PLEASURE ISLAND!

flavious27

Yes, they do, but their best stories in the parks/resorts are kept to one sentence.

And it has to be an easy sentence that is quickly understood by a casual tourist from Ohio or Scotland who doesn't know or care who the current WDW President is or what the Orange Bird was or where the Venetian Resort was going to go. Some great examples of fantastic themed experiences summed up in one easy-to-comprehend sentence;

Boat ride through a village being ransacked by pirates.

Spooky tour of old mansion haunted by ghosts.

Roller coaster rocket ride through space.

There are dozens more created since 1955. You can add to that list;

Nightclubs with valid liquor licenses in old warehouse district.

All the convoluted backstory in the world can't save a bad concept from itself. Words are very cheap, and they get cheaper every year as technology makes them easier to pull together and present to the public. If a theme park or resort concept can't be explained in one simple sentence to a tourist from Ohio who only visits once per decade, then it usually isn't worth explaining because the concept can't stand up on its own.

Most stories can be told in one sentence.

redshoesrock

you know, disney world used to have a place kind of like that, you know, different types of live music bars. One had rock, one had pop hits, one had techno, one had soul and one even had old 70's disco music. It's been awhile now but i think the place like that was called.......pleasure island!

qft.

mydogipluto

Don't really remember TL being tied to PI.
TL's backstory is told quite well on four signs driving in:

A furious storm once roared cross the sea

Catching ships in its path, helpless to flee

Instead of a certain and watery doom

The wind swept them here to Typhoon Lagoon.

Obviously there is more, but also told on one sign by the entrance:
For as long as anyone could remember, the quaint thatch-roofed village had nestled along the shores of the sparkling lagoon, in the shadows of a great volcanic mountain. Then came the 20th century with its cruise ships, and tourists and the Placid Palms Resort... a special little place for lucky vacationers each year.

The great storm, however, changed everything... a furious, unrelenting typhoon catching a small fleet of ships by surprise, and tossing them about like toy boats for one terrifying hour. But in the storm’s wake was left a remarkable scene.

A surfboard had penetrated completely through a huge tree. A small boat had blown through the roof of one building. A great buoy had crashed through the roof of still another. The Placid Palms Resort was now the Leaning Palms, almost ready to topple over at any moment. A small harbor had been cut off from the sea, trapping an overturned boat and thousands of colorful fish, uh... plus a few sharks along the way.

Nothing, however, topped the sight of the shrimp boat, 'Miss Tilly', impaled precariously on the peak of the great volcanic mountain. To this day, the mountain tries vainly to dislodge its unwelcome burden with an enormous geyser of water every half hour.

Well, what nature has done is a little redecorating. The inhabitants were left with the most extraordinary assortment of waterfalls, rapids, pools, surf and all around wetness the world has ever seen. The once sleepy resort had been turned into Typhoon Lagoon.

Pioneer Hall

Don't really remember TL being tied to PI.
TL's backstory is told quite well on four signs driving in:

Obviously there is more, but also told on one sign by the entrance:

The same storm that hit Typhoon Lagoon was the one that beat up pleasure island in the original back story.

Michael Eisner was a big fan of the in depth backstory which can be seen in a number of the projects created in the lates 80s/early 90s. Wilderness Lodge, Port Orleans/Dixie Landings, Wilderness Lodge, and others had incredibly long and immersive backstories. Resort guests used to receive a newspaper type document at check in (a more themed version of the pocket size map they now give) that would explain all of it in incredible detail. I guess that Disney decided at some point that guests didn't really care about the stories and leave it up to interpretation now.

juniorthomas

The same storm that hit Typhoon Lagoon was the one that beat up pleasure island in the original back story.

Michael Eisner was a big fan of the in depth backstory which can be seen in a number of the projects created in the lates 80s/early 90s. Wilderness Lodge, Port Orleans/Dixie Landings, Wilderness Lodge, and others had incredibly long and immersive backstories. Resort guests used to receive a newspaper type document at check in (a more themed version of the pocket size map they now give) that would explain all of it in incredible detail. I guess that Disney decided at some point that guests didn't really care about the stories and leave it up to interpretation now.

I buy into the story thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lasseter bring something like that back. A decent story adds depth which could make your otherwise average resort seem even more interesting. Of course, there is no story to All-Star resorts except long walks and some subpar rooms.

Pioneer Hall

I buy into the story thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lasseter bring something like that back. A decent story adds depth which could make your otherwise average resort seem even more interesting. Of course, there is no story to All-Star resorts except long walks and some subpar rooms.

Story is good, and today's attractions certainly bring it out in a way that you can understand relatively quickly. While we as Disney fans probably loved all the time and effort that went in to the stories of the early 90's the average guest (which is the overwhelming majortiy of visitors) wouldn't take the time to start thinking about what was going on. You would basically have needed an orientation session in order to understand what was going on at Pleasure Island when it's whole story was still in tact.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom