New rope drop process at MK

wogwog

Original Poster
Maybe just a test but the last few days MK did not "drop the rope" at opening. They carried the rope down MS all the way through the castle. This is to stop the mad rush to the Frozen M & G. You may have thought you had seen a mad rush previously but I am told cast at MK have seen nothing like the madness of the Frozen run. Have not seen it myself as I avoid the parks during busy times, so this is second hand from a MK mgr but a long known and trusted source and neighbor. She tells me a cadre of cast including supervisors, managers and security carry a long rope from each breezeway and join together to stretch across main street stopping all guests from running. They can not escape the rope barrier until the end of Main Street. Then only to go left or right to other lands. But the only way to Fantasyland is behind the rope through the castle. Guests were stopped from running through the shops, passing the rope line around by City Hall or TST. They were also blocked from cutting through Town Square. The entire entourage proceeded at normal slow walking speed. Sounds like a reasonable solution for safety until the popularity of the M & G subsides.

mm52200

They do that at DHS, cast members attempt to slowly walk guests over to TSM. Doesn't really work, saw a child knocked down and almost trampled a few summers ago.
DHS got rid of their rope a couple of years ago now. Now the guests are held at the turnstiles/touch points and then are let into the park free to go wherever they want and naturally dispersed that way.

Bolt

DHS got rid of their rope a couple of years ago now. Now the guests are held at the turnstiles/touch points and then are let into the park free to go wherever they want and naturally dispersed that way.
However, DHS cheats their park open now. As soon as the first guests goes through the touch point, the park is live. So rather than having 2000 people all pooled together and ready to run, it's fragmented through main entrance. So surprise, arrive at 8:30 and get bonus minutes to your day.

BigThunderMatt

Unbelievable! All that for a freakin' M&G. How long can this Frozen mania go on?

What did they expect? They created the beast themselves. By providing FP+ for a Meet & Greet, then limiting the amount of time the characters are there versus the normal park hours, of course people who are desperate to meet them at the one location they're available are going to all try to get there as early as possible. The IDEAL solution would have been to just hire more friends for Anna and Elsa and provide a M&G location for them at each park (except DAK). Is it not in keeping with good show? Sure. But compared to this alternative I would be willing to suspend disbelief.

llrain

That's the morning ritual at Tomorrowland to hold back the crowd headed to Space Mountain. No actual rope, though, just a line of CMs.

This is what happened to use a couple weeks ago...
Most of us played by the rules but when one guy with is stroller came flying on the far right with his wife with not a care in the world we all yelled at him to stop like 5 times and stay behind the cast members...they were American so they fully heard us, his wife even had to tell him to stop going ahead, guess she felt some guilt at least.
azzes like them make me sick...just follow the rules, sheesh

asianway

What did they expect? They created the beast themselves. By providing FP+ for a Meet & Greet, then limiting the amount of time the characters are there versus the normal park hours, of course people who are desperate to meet them at the one location they're available are going to all try to get there as early as possible. The IDEAL solution would have been to just hire more friends for Anna and Elsa and provide a M&G location for them at each park (except DAK). Is it not in keeping with good show? Sure. But compared to this alternative I would be willing to suspend disbelief.
They are training more friends, I suspect they will be open to close soon.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
This is what happened to use a couple weeks ago...
Most of us played by the rules but when one guy with is stroller came flying on the far right with his wife with not a care in the world we all yelled at him to stop like 5 times and stay behind the cast members...they were American so they fully heard us, his wife even had to tell him to stop going ahead, guess she felt some guilt at least.
azzes like them make me sick...just follow the rules, sheesh
Those were some of my favorite people to deal with. :) I'll let you go, but it will be on my terms and you will be delayed.

AndyS2992

I hope the M&G is still hugely popular in Summer 2015 so I can ride the mountains several times first thing in the morning while everyone else is crowding in to a small room to meet some cosplayers. I doubt it though.

Anyway I'm all for the rope walk. I've seen too many accidents during the 'run'.

CaptainShortty

This has become a process with the parks recently to deter the "mad dash" to the big attractions at each of the parks. As some said before, Studios usually doesn't open exactly at 9. Although it has to be open by 9, as soon as all the attraction and merch locations have given the go-ahead that they are ready to operate for the day, the duty manager will allow the park to open. This generally happens around 8:45ish. I can't see that ever happening at MK though because of the show they put on in the morning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom