Rumor New ride coming to Animal Kingdom. D23 announcement expected.

justintheharris

Thank you for this. I get so sick of the same posters ruining DAK park discussions with their asinine wishes.
Oh for pete's sake!

Once again, everyone is responding as if I said "Zootopia is a brilliant idea" rather than "Given the current direction of Disney Parks management, it is rather likely Zootopia will be the next addition to Animal Kingdom."

I'm not putting my opinion into these comments. I'm simply saying that from the current status (Animal Kingdom being the only park without a major project underway, Zootopia having sequels on the way, Shanghai Disneyland receiving a Zootopia themed land, Conservation Station being seasonal and Animal Kingdom needing another kid friendly ride) it would appear likely that Disney executives are looking to add Zootopia into Animal Kingdom.

HoldenC

Once again, everyone is responding as if I said "Zootopia is a brilliant idea" rather than "Given the current direction of Disney Parks management, it is rather likely Zootopia will be the next addition to Animal Kingdom."

I'm not putting my opinion into these comments. I'm simply saying that from the current status (Animal Kingdom being the only park without a major project underway, Zootopia having sequels on the way, Shanghai Disneyland receiving a Zootopia themed land, Conservation Station being seasonal and Animal Kingdom needing another kid friendly ride) it would appear likely that Disney executives are looking to add Zootopia into Animal Kingdom.
I didn't call any particular member out in my post but as they say.....🤷‍♂️
source.gif

ThemeParkTraveller

Perhaps because it never did?

Avatar is about colonialism. It's about a foreign power invading another culture and abusing their people and resources. It's something AK touches on, but it's not directly related to humans' relationship to animals or even environmentalism because that's not the story's focus. Maybe if the Navi themselves were responsible for the destruction of their homeland there'd be more substance to that, but humans fighting Native Americans humanoid Aliens is not. Even if the land did ironically replace a show with Pocahontas.

If I recall correctly, the setting of Pandora at DAK is actually decades after the human-Navi conflicts. What you said is true of the film, but I feel the land itself actually moves away from that and ties more directly into DAK's central themes. The new story doesn't really focus on the past wars but rather on the conservation efforts of its unique ecosystem and the symbiotic relationship between the Navi and Pandora's animals (specifically the banshees).

Last edited:

peter11435

Perhaps because it never did?

Avatar is about colonialism. It's about a foreign power invading another culture and abusing their people and resources. It's something AK touches on, but it's not directly related to humans' relationship to animals or even environmentalism because that's not the story's focus. Maybe if the Navi themselves were responsible for the destruction of their homeland there'd be more substance to that, but humans fighting Native Americans humanoid Aliens is not. Even if the land did ironically replace a show with Pocahontas.

Nobody questions why Pirates are in Adventureland or why Space Mountain is in Tomorrowland. I don't have to explain why the safari ride is in Animal Kingdom, or the bug show, or the animal hospital. If you have to explain it, it's not a strong fit.
You don’t need to explain how pandora fits at Animal Kingdom either. It’s pretty obvious. Remember this isn’t Avatar land, it’s Pandora. That’s important. The land is about Pandora the place not avatar the movie. That makes a difference.

I don’t see how anyone can experience the land and not see how and why it fits. Additionally I don’t see how anyone can watch the film and not see the themes and ideas incorporated that are a perfect fit for the park.

HoldenC

You don’t need to explain how pandora fits at Animal Kingdom either. It’s pretty obvious. Remember this isn’t Avatar land, it’s Pandora. That’s important. The land is about Pandora the place not avatar the movie. That makes a difference.

I don’t see how anyone can experience the land and not see how and why it fits. Additionally I don’t see how anyone can watch the film and not see the themes and ideas incorporated that are a perfect fit for the park.
It is called willful ignorance.

Animaniac93-98

If I recall correctly, the setting of Pandora at DAK is actually decades after the human-Navi conflicts. What you said is true of the film, but I feel the land itself actually moves away from that and ties more directly into DAK's central themes. The new story doesn't really focus on the past wars but rather on the conservation efforts of its unique ecosystem and the symbiotic relationship between the Navis and Pandora's animals (specifically the banshees).

Then the decision to use Avatar at all is superfluous, because any original story, or one based on another property could have achieved the same goal. Again it's not a "strong fit" or the "best fit" for the park. It's just OK.

Animaniac93-98

Additionally I don’t see how anyone can watch the film and not see the themes and ideas incorporated that are a perfect fit for the park.

I could say the same thing about many stories and movies. There's nothing special about Avatar in that regard besides box office gross.

I object to the idea that Avatar is a perfect fit for AK, and that anyone who disagrees "just doesn't get it".

peter11435

I could say the same thing about many stories and movies. There's nothing special about Avatar in that regard besides box office gross.
Of course you can. Where has anyone said otherwise? There are many stories and films that would work at Animal Kingdom. Including many others that are already represented around the park. I’m not even sure what your argument here is. The fact that other concepts would also fit doesn’t mean Pandora doesn’t. It’s not the only fit, not the best fit, but it is a strong fit.

peter11435

See my edited post:

"I object to the idea that Avatar is a perfect fit for AK, and that anyone who disagrees 'just doesn't get it'."
There are certainly some aspects of Avatar the film that do not align perfectly with the park. But I think Pandora the place as well as the overall theme of the film is a perfect fit for the park. I know you object to it but if you don’t see the parallels between the themes of the park and the themes in the movie than maybe “you just don’t get it.”

Animaniac93-98

I know you object to it but if you don’t see the parallels between the themes of the park and the themes in the movie than maybe “you just don’t get it.”

I do "get it", I just think those themes are secondary within the context of Avatar the franchise, which is why WDI had to invent an in-universe explanation for the whole Pandora experience that takes place after all the movies and features none of the main characters.

peter11435

I do "get it", I just think those themes are secondary within the context of Avatar the franchise, which is why WDI had to invent an in-universe explanation for the whole Pandora experience that takes place after all the movies and features none of the main characters.
I don’t think the explanations WDI invented were necessary for the land to fit. They were necessary to explain why you are there.

I wouldn’t consider those themes secondary in the film at all.

ImperfectPixie

I don’t think the explanations WDI invented were necessary for the land to fit. They were necessary to explain why you are there.

I wouldn’t consider those themes secondary in the film at all.
I'm right there with you. At the end of Avatar, the humans are basically booted from the planet so the Navi can preserve their lands and restore balance...I think Pandora (and it's backstory) carry that through beautifully and that it ties in perfectly to Animal Kingdom's theme.

eddie104

Not to be mean but your coming off like you have some authority of what goes in AK and doesn’t.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom