New RFID technology in the parks?

sublimesting

Seems like it would be pretty easy to make a wrist band on the spot for everyone. Just need some basic information. Why would it be just for resort guests?

David S.

If you're staying off-property, you're not a loyal guest. :wave:

Yes, all the local Florida full-time and part-time residents who have APs, and spend lots of money at the parks for their AP, food, and souvenirs year after year after year, but don't stay "on property" because they don't NEED a freaking hotel, are all "disloyal" :shrug:

WDW is NOT just for tourists, you know :wave:

I feel sorry for the local AP holders. Anaheim would never pull a stunt like this (limiting it to only guests staying on-site); there would be an uprising.

Agreed. Like the numerous local AP complaints when they tried making the Disneyland Halloween fireworks an after-hours "upcharge" like they are at WDW, and AP outcry over the proposed removal of classic attractions like Mr. Lincoln.

There's a lot of things that wouldn't fly in Anaheim because of the large base of local APs there. Sometimes I get a little envious of their strong local AP ratio ;) . And the sense of "ownership" this gives them over the parks, and connection with the parks' heritage...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Original Poster
WDW is NOT just for tourists, you know :wave:

Odds are, he probably doesn't.....:rolleyes:

And I re-read the dizfanatic article. In the first sentence, it doesn't appear that this RFID technology may be restricted to merely WDW:

"There's a new technology about to make its debut at Disney Parks and Resorts."

Screamscape reported that the wristbands make may a debut soon at WDW, but there's nothing to say this technology would be restricted to Orlando.

Kamikaze

Odds are, he probably doesn't.....:rolleyes:

And I re-read the dizfanatic article. In the first sentence, it doesn't appear that this RFID technology may be restricted to merely WDW:

"There's a new technology about to make its debut at Disney Parks and Resorts."

Screamscape reported that the wristbands make may a debut soon at WDW, but there's nothing to say this technology would be restricted to Orlando.

Not. In. Orlando.

No one ever said it would be restricted to WDW. NextGen is a huge project for P&R. Why would they only roll it out at one resort?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Original Poster
Not. In. Orlando.

No one ever said it would be restricted to WDW. NextGen is a huge project for P&R. Why would they only roll it out at one resort?

There seems to be an assumption that this technology would never be implemented in DL.....

Kamikaze

There seems to be an assumption that this technology would never be implemented in DL.....

Krack only said that they wouldn't get away with limiting the system at DLR to resort guests only. Thats an obvious statement, as TWDC's resort footprint in Anaheim is not large enough for 'resort guests only' to make sense.

There is 0% chance that NextGen doesn't roll out to DLR though.

WDWFigment

Next Gen will undoubtedly make its way to Anaheim. For those of you who don't visit DLR, Disney has decent relationships with their "Good Neighbor" hotels, not just the 3 Disney owned hotels.

Given that Disney has been pumping a billion plus dollars into DCA to make Disneyland more of a tourist destination, and this project screams "to increase tourist spending," I can't see how it doesn't come to DLR.

Kamikaze

Next Gen will undoubtedly make its way to Anaheim. For those of you who don't visit DLR, Disney has decent relationships with their "Good Neighbor" hotels, not just the 3 Disney owned hotels.

Given that Disney has been pumping a billion plus dollars into DCA to make Disneyland more of a tourist destination, and this project screams "to increase tourist spending," I can't see how it doesn't come to DLR.

Right. But I don't think they can count on the Good Neighbor Hotels to give them out reliably. I would figure, in Anaheim, that they would give them out somewhere in the parks.

BigThunderMatt

TWDC's resort footprint in Anaheim is not large enough for 'resort guests only' to make sense.

This. They can get away with attempting to upcharge (even though it failed miserably) simply because that's not limiting WHO can get in, just how many.

DLR only has 3 resorts, using RFID for just resort guests there would be such a small percentage of daily attendance that it would fail before it even began.

MickeyPeace

I'm going to be the one to say I don't mind this technology! If all of this technology was available in your iPhone (or smartphone) would you mind? If all you had to do was swipe your phone it wouldn't be as bad.

Personally I don't wear bracelets. I would fit into the category of feeling claustrophobic. I do think they could be kind of cool if personalized or are based on your favorite attraction. I could deal with wearing it for the day, especially a Haunted Mansion version.

Overall though, I'm all for advances in technology. And if everything could be contained and accessed in one place I wouldn't mind. Add to that a plussed experience, I think it's a win.

Let's see how it works before marching with pitchforks.

menamechris

What worries me is that this NextGen project has become so big, so expensive, that I fear management may see it as an attraction in and of itself, rather than just the enhancement that it really is.

Possibly the biggest announcement for WDW at D23 will be this stuff.:shrug:

Wow, if that's the only announcement, that would be insanely disappointing. I do agree with you. They seem to build up the NextGen additions much more than they are worth. As you said, these are enhancements - or for lack of a better term - distractions. I have found none of it to be overly impressive. Clever and functional - yes. But in my opinion, Disney shouldn't be patting themselves on the back too much for this.... It probably should have been done years ago...

GoofyFan1

I have never heard so many people whine and complain over so many things...especially an upgrade to your experience that is NOT owed to you in any way! I hate to think what casual fans may think upon reading these threads. If I was Disney I wouldn't build a Beastly Kingdom or anything else, why bother, no one is ever happy. May as well just go to 6 Flags folks, they won't track you. Now you won't have to spritz on the fox urine to avoid the trackers!

So people can't register their dislike for this system without you considering them "whiners", but we can read thread after thread about how the "hat" has to go? People should be able to respond without being accused of whining. Not everyone likes this technology.:shrug:

I would hope that FP will work as it does now as I too am the runner for Soarin, Splash, Everest and ToT. Personalization of the ride...No thank you.

aka_emilicious

I really like this idea. I'm a bit forgetful when I go to theme parks (two wallets, ipod, camera, one cell phone, and multiple tickets. I've learned my lesson, I swear! Everything is insured if lost :p ), so anything to help fight my forgetfulness is VERY welcome!

They have a similar (albeit far more limited) system in place at Hersheypark. They use RFID wristbands for they're lockers. We had two lockers, so I had one on each wrist. It didn't bother me in the least and was MUCH easier to use compared to the finger scanners I've used elsewhere.

Slight vote against - I usually end up with fastpasses I am not going to use by the end of the day/trip. In my own little Disney way, I like to give my unused fastpasses to guests so they can go in right away. I assume my Disney magic won't be so easy with the wristbands, lol.

wilkeliza

I can't imagine this will be the only announcement for D23. If it is I will be highly disappointed with WDW. I do think they have some stuff up their sleeve thinking about the fact D23 only happens every other year so we should get a few ride announcements and possible an expansion/update of DHS or AK.

I don't mind the bracelet for the simple fact that there are a lot of other places that require bracelets. When we went to Atlantis you had to have a bracelet to show you were a guest of the resort and then separate bracelets to show what package you had purchased for your stay. My boyfriend and I both wear a bracelet on a simi-regular basis so I'm sure it won't be a bother.

I don't mind the RFID technology but I would have to be sure that Disney is using some sort of encryption to make sure my credit card, room information, etc. is safe. I had an RFID chip in my Chase bank card and someone in NYC was walking around the plaza I hang out in with an RFID reader and took a few people's identity. We only found out because the NYPD alerted us to it while we were there. I luckily did not get my cc information stolen but a friend did. The next day I called Chase and asked for a bank card with out the RFID chip. If Disney can guarantee my information is safe I will have no problem using it.

I don't think the wristbands would prevent us from giving out unused fastpasses because the fastpass is not linked to the RFID chip according to the provided article. The RFID band is simply your key to the world card so instead of putting your card in a machine to get a ticket you wave your wrist in front of it and it prints a ticket.

I hope they make these removable like with snaps or a buckle because they would be hard to sleep in and then that way people would be able to still fast-pass run.

MissMorrow

I like it, but I hope we AP holders don't get snubbed or worse have to pay extra.
My only question is why a bracelet? Why not a lanyard or ring or something else more comfortable to wear? How about a choice? :shrug:

wilkeliza

I like it, but I hope we AP holders don't get snubbed or worse have to pay extra.
My only question is why a bracelet? Why not a lanyard or ring or something else more comfortable to wear? How about a choice? :shrug:

It would be nice to have some choice. It would be great if I could get one to just put on my pin lanyard. I bet after a month of complaints about having to wear a bracelet they will figure out a substitute that is less confining.

DisneyJoe

Regarding credit card safety - currently with the Key to the World cards, you can set them up for charging back to your room. Your credit card info IS NOT stored on the KTTW card, just a link to your reservation data so that ONLY Disney's systems can access it and make the charge. They then have limits at each resort level ($500 value, $1000 moderate, $1500 deluxe) which are a further protection.

If someone swiped info via RFID, I believe all they would be gaining is a link to guests onsite reservation record and would need to make a transaction at a Disney terminal in order to make any charges.

Now if they could somehow clone that RFID info into a new wristband, the worst they could do is run up your room account to the pre-set limit - assuming that Disney doesn't have secondary safeguards in place such as a signature check or having you put your room number on the slip.

They would need to know your room number to enter your room.

wilkeliza

Regarding credit card safety - currently with the Key to the World cards, you can set them up for charging back to your room. Your credit card info IS NOT stored on the KTTW card, just a link to your reservation data so that ONLY Disney's systems can access it and make the charge. They then have limits at each resort level ($500 value, $1000 moderate, $1500 deluxe) which are a further protection.

If someone swiped info via RFID, I believe all they would be gaining is a link to guests onsite reservation record and would need to make a transaction at a Disney terminal in order to make any charges.

Now if they could somehow clone that RFID info into a new wristband, the worst they could do is run up your room account to the pre-set limit - assuming that Disney doesn't have secondary safeguards in place such as a signature check or having you put your room number on the slip.

They would need to know your room number to enter your room.

I had no clue that it is just run to your room credit and then from there charged to your card. That makes me feel a lot safer with the information being out there. Like you said if someone wanted to get into your room they would have to know your room number in the first place. I say at that point they could get into your room with the current technology and not need a RFID chip if they were that desperate. I mean every room service staff member has a master key to each room in their section so if you are worried about someone coming into your room there is the possibility now as is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom