New RFID technology in the parks?

jmick71

Not really paranoia so much as an invasion of privacy.

Plus who wants to wear a plastic band around their wrist in Florida summers? I just barfed in my mouth a little at the thought of them reusing the band and forcing me to wear someone elses.

they will be customizable so im 100% shore you take them home

Kamikaze

Not really paranoia so much as an invasion of privacy.

Plus who wants to wear a plastic band around their wrist in Florida summers? I just barfed in my mouth a little at the thought of them reusing the band and forcing me to wear someone elses.

Oh, I wouldn't wear it either. Like I said I would put it in my pocket and take it out when needed.

However, I can't see how it would be an 'invasion of privacy'. RFID tags have a very short readable range, and need to be scanned (they aren't powered). Disney can track you a lot better by security camera then they ever could with an RFID wristband system. Would they know what time you got and used a fastpass, etc? Yes, but they could know that already, if they wanted to.
Its not like you are walking around with a home-arrest anklet that can be monitored at all times remotely.

KingdomofDreams

Welcome to the 21st century Disney! I see this as a long overdue tech upgrade and nothing more.

I have no problem with wristbands. I will love the convenience and not having to shuffle through a wallet for tickets, cards, etc. I've seen many comments on these boards from people complaining that they don't want to have to pull out cards repeatedly and worry about losing them. This would eliminate that altogether. Everything you need would be loaded on your wristband and the chance of losing that wristband is much less than losing a card. With the RFID technology, simply report it lost and it is disabled instantly. I also like the move in this direction to eliminate the current abuses of EMH wristbands and FP's.

As far as security concerns, RFID tech has been very commonplace for a long time now. I'm sure Disney has considered any known and anticipated security concerns and will address them. You won't be any more at risk with the info loaded on a wristband than you are with a card in your wallet.

I'm not a fan of the mentioned "personalized" ride experience however. Any break from the immersion into the attraction will be a real negative for me. I hope they rethink that idea. If I'm on POC, I don't want the characters saying the name of some kid on the boat. And that idea mentioned about IASW made me cringe! Please NO!! The character interactions are a great idea though. The character meet is a personal experience anyway. If Cinderella or Tink knows your name when you walk up to her how thrilling is that for a kid?

For those with "Big Brother" syndrome... really? You're paranoid about Disney knowing that you rode HM at 10:15 am on Thursday? Wow... that's really an invasion of your privacy isn't it? They already know you're there. They know what park you're in and they know what you're buying if you use your room key. If it helps them track and analyze guest preferences/crowd patterns/wait times, and make improvements to those issues, I'm fine with it.

majortom1981

This will be a pass from me. They don't need to see where I am at all times. Bad enough my work wanted to do this.

Disney can already do this via your park ticket AND Your fast pass check ins and your dinning reservations.

Anybody can track you if you have a debit card in your walet also (most debit cards from banks , chase being one of them , already have rfid tags in them).

I dont see the problem. Its not like Disney cant track you anyway.

rct247

I'd just like to point out two things for everyone who is afraid of the technology or dislike the wristbands.

If Disney doesn't do wristbands, it can also do it on simple cards. Those FLIK cards they hand out in the queues to keep track of how long you wait in line use the same exact technology. To be quite honest, many people already have this technology in their wallets even if they didn't choose to have the option. If you have a Debit or Credit Card, take a look on the back of it. If you see 4 curves lines that look a representation of sound or radar single or something, then you have the ability to just wave your card over those fast pay devices at gas stations and fast food restaurants. Many people don't realize that they have this ability or that they "signed up" for it, but already you have card that holds this technology and you are carrying it around with you everywhere! So if they don't give you a wristband, they could possibly also give you a ticket/key card with the same abilities, its just that a wristband would probably not get lost quite so easily. To make you more paranoid, Disney could very well add this technology to your keycards and tickets and you may never even know unless you read some fine print somewhere. Maybe they are already tracking you!

Also, Disney has used this technology on ALL cast member costumes now and it's great. It's faster. From what I understand the RFID readers can be turned up and down to adjust to how far away they can read. Things like hotel room doors will want to be extremely close, while interactive park elements may allow for guests to be a few feet away.

Kamikaze

Disney can already do this via your park ticket AND Your fast pass check ins and your dinning reservations.

Anybody can track you if you have a debit card in your walet also (most debit cards from banks , chase being one of them , already have rfid tags in them).

I dont see the problem. Its not like Disney cant track you anyway.

I'd just like to point out two things for everyone who is afraid of the technology or dislike the wristbands.

If Disney doesn't do wristbands, it can also do it on simple cards. Those FLIK cards they hand out in the queues to keep track of how long you wait in line use the same exact technology. To be quite honest, many people already have this technology in their wallets even if they didn't choose to have the option. If you have a Debit or Credit Card, take a look on the back of it. If you see 4 curves lines that look a representation of sound or radar single or something, then you have the ability to just wave your card over those fast pay devices at gas stations and fast food restaurants. Many people don't realize that they have this ability or that they "signed up" for it, but already you have card that holds this technology and you are carrying it around with you everywhere! So if they don't give you a wristband, they could possibly also give you a ticket/key card with the same abilities, its just that a wristband would probably not get lost quite so easily. To make you more paranoid, Disney could very well add this technology to your keycards and tickets and you may never even know unless you read some fine print somewhere. Maybe they are already tracking you!

Also, Disney has used this technology on ALL cast member costumes now and it's great. It's faster. From what I understand the RFID readers can be turned up and down to adjust to how far away they can read. Things like hotel room doors will want to be extremely close, while interactive park elements may allow for guests to be a few feet away.

Again, RFID cannot be tracked from afar. It is not a GPS. There are active RFID tags and passive RFID tags. Active means it also has to have a battery. So the RFID refillable mugs, these bracelets/wristbands, FLIK cards, your debit/credit cards, etc - those cannot be tracked from afar. Can someone go on a computer and see when you scanned/used a passive tag? Sure. But thats not 'tracking', and for most of those things, they already have access to see them. For instance, they can see what time you used your ticket to get a Fastpass, and even pull the info from your resort door lock to see what times and what cards opened the door.

Passive (unpowered) RFID requires a reader to gather any information, and passive tags have a very short range - a few feet at the max. Meaning in order to 'track' you, these readers would have to be installed everywhere. Literally. Like on every available surface.

The 'interactive park elements' are going to work a bit differently than most think. The reader will be in your vehicle (or you get scanned right before you board - sort of how you entered your name so E.T. could say it at the end of the attraction), and that will interact with the system. Its not going to be out in the attraction somewhere and read your RFID tag from 20 feet away.

Like I said - Paranoia. Its everywhere.

sublimesting

I think that what Disney is now proposing is to offer the theme park experience on two different levels; one for resort guests and one for "regular guests."

I understand the need to create some incentive for people to stay on property but I feel this would be taking it a step too far. Afterall, we all pay the same price for admission to the theme park so why should the experience during regular park hours be any different? Resort guests have EMH afterall.
Further, it wouldn't make economic sense to exclude off-property guests from this enterprise as part of it at least is aimed at selling more Photopass products by making the process more streamlined.

But basically what you are saying is, I want to stay off site and thusly can't use this technology so now nobody should be able to use it either to level the playing field for me that I created based on a decision that I made (to not stay on site).

I think when people say tracking, they mean what you just said, able to see everything you did, not like, pull you up on a map and see where you are standing.

As for RFID bands being as secure as cards, I cannot agree with that. A little google search and you can see what I mean. But, that is not the point of this thread, so I will stop talking about it!

The idea itself is really neat. Having everything on one card/band would be neat! I dont like the idea of the rides putting my name in them....or saying hi to me....or showing me dancing on its a Small World. The rest seems really cool. They could even integrate this wristband with the proposed RFID system for beverages!

ChrisM

If it's not already obvious to everyone, all of the art included in that article makes it look like this is all ready to be rolled out and will likely be a huge part of the D23 presentations.

jlevis

I don't know why people are so worked up over this. It sounds good to me, after all the original concept involved nipple rings!

WDWFREAK53

I think when people say tracking, they mean what you just said, able to see everything you did, not like, pull you up on a map and see where you are standing.

As for RFID bands being as secure as cards, I cannot agree with that. A little google search and you can see what I mean. But, that is not the point of this thread, so I will stop talking about it!

The idea itself is really neat. Having everything on one card/band would be neat! I dont like the idea of the rides putting my name in them....or saying hi to me....or showing me dancing on its a Small World. The rest seems really cool. They could even integrate this wristband with the proposed RFID system for beverages!

First off...what I don't understand is the paranoia about "tracking" you.

What is going on in your life that is so important that you think people want to track you at every step?

Secondly...who cares if Disney IS tracking you? Are you worried that they may plop up a DVC booth right in front of you because they know where you're going? If someone is in your house...wouldn't you want to know where they are? Unless you're doing something wrong, you shouldn't care.

I never understood the "Big Brother" paranoia when it comes to Disney World. You're on vacation...and Disney makes their money on the "vacation game" so what negative experience would they do to you? If anything, this will only HELP your vacation experience. And another thing...why would you want to go on vacation to a place that you're uncomfortable with or feel like you constantly need to look over your shoulder at?

I'm not calling any specific person out here...I just REALLY don't understand it when it comes to this situation.

sublimesting

First off...what I don't understand is the paranoia about "tracking" you.

What is going on in your life that is so important that you think people want to track you at every step?

Secondly...who cares if Disney IS tracking you? Are you worried that they may plop up a DVC booth right in front of you because they know where you're going? If someone is in your house...wouldn't you want to know where they are? Unless you're doing something wrong, you shouldn't care.

I never understood the "Big Brother" paranoia when it comes to Disney World. You're on vacation...and Disney makes their money on the "vacation game" so what negative experience would they do to you? If anything, this will only HELP your vacation experience. And another thing...why would you want to go on vacation to a place that you're uncomfortable with or feel like you constantly need to look over your shoulder at?

I'm not calling any specific person out here...I just REALLY don't understand it when it comes to this situation.

Don't you understand: They are VERY IMPORTANT PEOPLE......Their forefathers didn't kick the British out only to have Disney track them and impede their freedoms....after all why even bother fighting the Taliban if we are going to let Disney use Taliban style tactics over here. Terrorists and opressors are well known for providing magical memories using RFID technology. And God forbid your wrist gets up to the sweaty 98 degrees whilst your body temp is a mere 94 degrees in the Florida heat.

I have never heard so many people whine and complain over so many things...especially an upgrade to your experience that is NOT owed to you in any way! I hate to think what casual fans may think upon reading these threads. If I was Disney I wouldn't build a Beastly Kingdom or anything else, why bother, no one is ever happy. May as well just go to 6 Flags folks, they won't track you. Now you won't have to spritz on the fox urine to avoid the trackers!

jlevis

If you're staying off-property, you're not a loyal guest. :wave:

:fork: We've been going to WDW since the early '70s and have been AP holders for years going 2-3 times a year. We choose to stay at our timeshares for a variety of reasons. I'll stack our loyalty up against any one's any day.

Kev1417

Life isn't always fair. Disney is a business. It's their right to offer "perks" to people choosing to stay on property. Deal with it. If you want the perk then stay on property, if YOU CHOOSE to stay off property then you don't receive the perk. simple as that! IT'S YOUR CHOICE. That's the problem with society. Heaven forbid you don't get offered the same thing as everyone else, even though your situation doesn't call for it.

i don't go around to the off property hotels complaining i don't get a continental breakfast at that hotel just because i am staying at a Disney resort. Even though the off property hotels would not even be there if it wasn't for Disney.

Kamikaze

So the nearly $1,000 I give to Disney annually for my AP and my wife's AP makes me an unloyal guest???

There are people spend that $1000 per night to stay on property.

Does that make them more 'loyal'? Not really. Loyal isn't the right word. Does it make Disney more money if you stay at their resorts? You betcha. And thats why its ok for them to reward resort guests over non-resort guests.

erasure fan1

I agree, the "big brother" part of this is, or should be, the least of the worries. Now if they could put a monitor in the wristband that tracks my thirst level so they could get me a nice cold cherry coke without even asking, that would rock!

:fork: We've been going to WDW since the early '70s and have been AP holders for years going 2-3 times a year. We choose to stay at our timeshares for a variety of reasons. I'll stack our loyalty up against any one's any day.
Yes, you are right, loyalty has nothing to do with staying on property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom