New RFID technology in the parks?

TalkingHead

Possibly the biggest announcement for WDW at D23 will be this stuff.:shrug:

I will die laughing if that's the case.

Talk about clueless tech-obsessed execs.

People obviously go to the parks to experience cool new ways to pay for lunch, not for the rides and shows and atmosphere.

DeaverTex

I think these would be cool, although I'm not so fired up about having my credit card linked to the bracelet. (But then, I wouldn't want it linked to my room key either.) Unless that's mandatory -- which I can't imagine -- it's not a problem.

As far as the photopass/video/other stuff... meh. Those are perks?

the-reason14

So they want to implement wrist bands for something else when they got rid of it for emh?? Sounds stupid to me.

I don't know or really care about how the next person feels, but all this next gen stuff doesn't sound that great to me. I don't mind the thing about random characters saying little suzy's name and all of that, but if it gets to the point where resort guests get extra fastpass perks then I mind. That and you have to 'plan' ahead to reserve fastpasses like a dining reservation, I don't like that either.

As far as Uni offering front of the line to their resort guests, well good for them. Disney isn't Universal, and with the amount of resorts and resort guest Disney has, it just wouldn't be feasible. We already get the emh, may not be as great as getting front of the line all the time, but that's why we get fastpasses during the day just like everyone else. Other than an extra 3 hours after closing or an hour before opening, I think that's all the in park perks we should get. Once a person walks through the turnstyles of any of the four Disney parks, then it should be an equal playing field. Shouldn't matter where you choose to stay, the parks are parks, not resorts.

Theme Parkitect

In the Parks, one of my family was surveyed and was then sent an e-mail that asked how that idea sounded. It had a video and EVERYTHING!!! But you could only watch it once..... :cry:

wilkeliza

Yes, and this could be why it could be limited to resort guests.

Not all guests leave credit cards on file because they don't trust their credit card information on their room card. We left a card with a maximum we set before had so in the event it did get stolen the bank would shut it down at a semi-manageable point.

I think these would be easy enough to give to guests who buy tickets at the gate. The ticket seller would simply just need to ask names and birthday of the entire party. Whenever people buy at the parks it typically isn't large groups it is a family that has made there way to Disney with out planning or knowing you can buy online. For people that buy their tickets online or at the Disney Stores they could put their information in online before their trip and pick up their bands at the parks. I also think for AP holders maybe you get a band instead of your card and if you lose it they just replace it like they do your card. I don't see why it can't work like a regular park entry.

ChristianG

I don't understand why some of you are complaining about wearing a wristband? :shrug:

It's a wristband! It's not going to slow you down... I don't see the big deal.

BigTxEars

There seems to be an assumption that this technology would never be implemented in DL.....

This tech is sweeping thru the retail world and in the next 5 -10 years (sooner in some cases) will be on almost every product you can imagine.

The only exception being fresh produce.......possibly. :ROFLOL:

There is simply no way that Disney does not take advantage of this type of tech in a big way in the parks IMO. It is too valuable to them. I am all for anything like this that can add to the immersion into the Disney experience. :)

Not sure about the whole on site / off site debate but I would say I see no problem with them offering even more benefits to staying onsite. Everybody has the option to stay onsite so it is not being unfair IMO to have it effect the parks as well. :) Heck Disney ran for how many years with the amount of money you spent at the park determining the "level" of you visit when they use lettered tickets.

Is the stay or not stay at a resort factor effecting you park visit to a degree really that much different in theory?

G00fyDad

I don't understand why some of you are complaining about wearing a wristband? :shrug:

It's a wristband! It's not going to slow you down... I don't see the big deal.

Some people just cannot stand anything on their wrists. It's no big deal. I don't wear a watch for that very reason but the idea of being able to use this instead of fumbling about looking for my room key card and trying to get it out at the turnstiles and then trying to make sure my son has his ready and then we all have to put them back.... forget it. I'd love to have a wristband to wear.

I especially love the idea of being able to design them at home and have your name printed on them then they'd be waiting for you at guest services. :)

Hey wateva

I'm all for being able to wear a bracelet and walk around with that instead of a room key and fastpasses and cash and a room key i just don't have enough pockets!:p

BigTxEars

I bet that tech could detect where you are in the parks and cancel those greedy multiple ADRs that people make for dinner, lunch etc which can cause other not to be able to get ADRs.

Some knucklehead makes ADRs at MK & Epcot & DHS Tuesday night incase they are in one of those parks at dinner time next Tuesday knowing they can only eat at one. They go into San Angel to eat (and the RFID know its) and WHAM! their ADRs are cancelled at MK & DHS! :ROFLOL:

MagicalVillas

Why do people have to bash everything? Why not just go with the flow and enjoy the things that appeal to you & ignore the rest? I'm into Disney because of the parts that tickle my fancy. There are plenty of things that I am not fond of, but I am not going to spend my time complaining about it. And what's the deal with the POTC ride thing? I didn't see that in the artical. So now we make things up & complain about it?

I'm not a poster here, I just like to read what's going on in the Disney universe, but I just have to say, lighten up guys. And if you're paranoid about Disney knowing what ride you went on, I got news for you; read about the info that Google keeps about your browsing habits and you'll be suicidal!

Anyway, my 2 cents. :hammer:

David S.

Not sure about the whole on site / off site debate but I would say I see no problem with them offering even more benefits to staying onsite. Everybody has the option to stay onsite so it is not being unfair IMO to have it effect the parks as well. :)

But not everybody in the parks is there on "vacation", so in that case not staying "on property" isn't being cheap, it's simply that you don't NEED a place to crash after the parks close, because you already have one. If you live in the area full time or seasonally should you really be expected to check into a hotel everytime you go to the parks just to keep your Fastpass privledges that you are already used to getting? Especially when you spend thousands every year on your AP, food, and souvenirs?

Even the Universal Express pass that others are touting allows their top-level AP holders (ie, those with the most expensive type of Uni AP) access to that perk as well.

Before anyone misinterprets my post, I am NOT "complaining" and am NOT going to get upset about this without knowing for sure whether this will just be for resort guests, and, more importantly, if it is just for resort guests, if it will be the ONLY way to get FPs in the future. The Al Lutz article I linked to in an earlier post seemed to think the new "X-Pass" would replace Fastpass and be exclusive for WDW resort guests, but other articles seemed to suggest that FP would continue in it's current form and that this would simply be a more "convenient" way for resort guests to get them.

If there is still a way for non-resort guests (like APs) to still use Fastpass under this new system, it won't bother me one bit if the RFID wristbands are for resort guests only, because I don't use Photopass or care about the characters saying my name or whatever.

This post is not meant as an argument; just stating my opinion :)

AEfx

What worries me is that this NextGen project has become so big, so expensive, that I fear management may see it as an attraction in and of itself, rather than just the enhancement that it really is.

That's been my fear since they started talking about all this nonsense.

They could build a 5th park for the 1B this "Next Gen initiative" is costing.

Ask someone - "Would you rather have some scanner know your name in a similar trick that ET has been doing for 20 years over at Universal, and more directed marketing toward you where the only real benefit most people will see is not to have to carry an admission ticket anymore" or "Would you rather ride a buncha new exciting rides?"

My guess is, you know which one most people would pick.

menamechris

That's been my fear since they started talking about all this nonsense.

They could build a 5th park for the 1B this "Next Gen initiative" is costing.

Ask someone - "Would you rather have some scanner know your name in a similar trick that ET has been doing for 20 years over at Universal, and more directed marketing toward you where the only real benefit most people will see is not to have to carry an admission ticket anymore" or "Would you rather ride a buncha new exciting rides?"

My guess is, you know which one most people would pick.

This. Add this to what some people have been saying about how this will create just additional headaches. With a few thousand kids playing with this stuff a day - how soon before things start to break? And then, like most everything lately at WDW, it will take practically an act of Congress to get it repaired. The last few years my biggest pet peeve is the resort taking on technology that they know how to install and implement, but not maintain and keep working. This is basically is a $1 Billion installation fee, and then who knows how much money they will end up having to throw at it to keep it all working... That is if they actually decide to fix it. :lookaroun

puntagordabob

Wonder how this will be handled for DVC members?
Or if the benefit will be passed on to the Premium AP Holders similar to how Universal handles it.

BigTxEars

But not everybody in the parks is there on "vacation", so in that case not staying "on property" isn't being cheap, it's simply that you don't NEED a place to crash after the parks close, because you already have one. If you live in the area full time or seasonally should you really be expected to check into a hotel everytime you go to the parks just to keep your Fastpass privledges that you are already used to getting? Especially when you spend thousands every year on your AP, food, and souvenirs?

Even the Universal Express pass that others are touting allows their top-level AP holders (ie, those with the most expensive type of Uni AP) access to that perk as well.

Before anyone misinterprets my post, I am NOT "complaining" and am NOT going to get upset about this without knowing for sure whether this will just be for resort guests, and, more importantly, if it is just for resort guests, if it will be the ONLY way to get FPs in the future. The Al Lutz article I linked to in an earlier post seemed to think the new "X-Pass" would replace Fastpass and be exclusive for WDW resort guests, but other articles seemed to suggest that FP would continue in it's current form and that this would simply be a more "convenient" way for resort guests to get them.

If there is still a way for non-resort guests (like APs) to still use Fastpass under this new system, it won't bother me one bit if the RFID wristbands are for resort guests only, because I don't use Photopass or care about the characters saying my name or whatever.

This post is not meant as an argument; just stating my opinion :)

I do understand your point. I was just pointing out that the option is there for everyone and not just a select few to stay onsite. :) The ability to afford it or not afford it is our responsibility not WDW responsibility.

WDW sells some rather expensive VIP type tours of the park that everybody might not be able to afford but the option is there for them non the less. Yet one more way that the amount of money you spend does already effect your visit. I guess my point is that WDW is not now a "pay one price and everybody gets the exact same visit" type of place, this is just one more branch of that tree IMO.

Just my .02

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom