News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

DCLcruiser

I’ve been giving this project the benefit of the doubt that the final details would pull it all together… after seeing the beige on beige on beige rooms I’ve lost all hope.

The rooms in our Hilton in Honolulu felt more “Polynesian” than this, and that’s a generic Hilton high rise built 50+ years ago.
Yea, but that's the Empire State Building of Honolulu. Is the indoor mall w/ Penguins still there?

BrianLo

Does anyone know how far short they are on Riviera goal? That resort is truly terrible - even with skyliner access and some nice details.

They don't seem to be short at all. Sales are fine if you ignore the pandemic and multi-resort launch competition ever since. They are great if you do factor that in.

It's a very large DVC resort and fairly on track to sell out in a couple more years. It's 2/3rds sold out and 80% declared.

James Alucobond

I’ve been giving this project the benefit of the doubt that the final details would pull it all together… after seeing the beige on beige on beige rooms I’ve lost all hope.

The rooms in our Hilton in Honolulu felt more “Polynesian” than this, and that’s a generic Hilton high rise built 50+ years ago.
The rooms never felt authentically Polynesian nor terribly tiki. If you look at the rooms from when the resort opened, they basically just have a themed bedspread, quarter-canopy, and lamps, none of which looked especially custom. It was a clean, contemporary room for the most part. The redesigns since have variably brought in more or fewer elements of the surrounding resort, but the rooms are generally more themed today than they were originally regardless and were always at least somewhat reflective of design trends at the time of their refurbishment. IMO, concerns should be directed much more toward the exterior and common areas.

BrianLo

The rooms quite nicely evoke Polynesia, for me.

They quite poorly evoke "Disney's Polynesia or Tiki Culture".

They don't really evoke Marriott, unless it was a Marriott Polynesian resort. Which I mean I think is kind of fair. The hotels are allowed to evoke hotels from the region they are mimicking, are they not? They probably should have called it the Waikiki tower though (or Wailea Tower or Lahaina Tower), instead of island tower.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
The prices do drop after the first of the year. It looks like they’re trying to gash people who HAVE TO be there opening night.

Like Jan 13:
SV Studio: $652 (same as longhouse Villa)
SV 1BR: $945
TPV 2BR: $1,620
2BR Penthouse: $2,535

Closest matching rooms at VGF:
SV Studio: $732
SV 1BR: $1,001
LV 2BR: $1,781
GV: $3,138

Drdcm

I have a poly res for March next year. Have the opportunity to switch from resort view room to the new tower studio for the same cost. What do you guys think? I sort of like the older room aesthetic better.

This is a splurge vacation, first time at a deluxe.

BrianLo

Even at dropped prices… I would never in my days spend so much on lodging 😭

Hey kids, we can go stay in a 2 bedroom penthouse for a week (without park tickets)...

Or everyone in the family can get a new laptop, iPad, iPhone, Switches, we'll get a new TV and Playstation and we'll also go on a cruise.

It's the trouble with "DVC math" occasionally. Sure you are getting a 50% discount, but you're getting a 50% discount on something that's 250% overpriced to begin with. There's a reason these systems use points and not 'dollars'. There are lots of cases where DVC actually is a deal though.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I have a poly res for March next year. Have the opportunity to switch from resort view room to the new tower studio for the same cost. What do you guys think? I sort of like the older room aesthetic better.

This is a splurge vacation, first time at a deluxe.
I think the trade off is do you want a small table in your room and real dishes with a dishwasher, plus a restaurant in the building (probably), or do you want a larger room with 2 bathroom sinks and showers plus a 3rd sleeping surface so it sleeps 5 instead of 4 and better proximity to the TTC to walk over there for the morning monorail, but a walk to food/pools?

Disney Analyst

Hey kids, we can go stay in a 2 bedroom penthouse for a week (without park tickets)...

Or everyone in the family can get a new laptop, iPad, iPhone, Switches, we'll get a new TV and Playstation and we'll also go on a cruise.

It's the trouble with "DVC math" occasionally. Sure you are getting a 50% discount, but you're getting a 50% discount on something that's 250% overpriced to begin with. There's a reason these systems use points and not 'dollars'. There are lots of cases where DVC actually is a deal though.

The way I always look at lodging, I am basically never in the place except for when I’m sleeping. When I travel, I am doing activities the entire time.

So I want the most comfy, cleanest, possible choice, at an affordable price.

todd23

Like Jan 13:
SV Studio: $652 (same as longhouse Villa)
SV 1BR: $945
TPV 2BR: $1,620
2BR Penthouse: $2,535

Closest matching rooms at VGF:
SV Studio: $732
SV 1BR: $1,001
LV 2BR: $1,781
GV: $3,138
As others have noted, these prices are crazy. My wife and I are in our 40s, have no kids and have professional jobs. We live comfortably. But these prices would break the bank for us. Yes, we have the money to spend on them. But not within our budget. I don't know how people pay them!

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Opening night starts at $900+ for the two-person studio.

That’s so disconnected from reality it might require medication.

The prices do drop after the first of the year. It looks like they’re trying to gash people who HAVE TO be there opening night.

December 13 starts Polynesian's highest pricing seasons of the year, according to MouseSavers. Left to right here are full prices for longhouse standard, preferred, and bungalow:

Screenshot_20240606_142923_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240606_143446_Chrome.jpg

Prices in the season are a good 33-50% higher than the rest of the year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom