News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

FutureCEO

The way I always look at lodging, I am basically never in the place except for when I’m sleeping. When I travel, I am doing activities the entire time.

So I want the most comfy, cleanest, possible choice, at an affordable price.

It's really sad when a fair amount of Disney hotels are more expensive than a 5 star hotel in the city. But US hotel prices are crazy. I'm going to a wedding where the prices some weekends are over $500 night. It's next to the ocean but in the middle of nowhere. 3 star hotel.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I don’t think that’s quite how I’d frame it. If they couldn’t rent most of GF at those prices they would have just lowered them.

The thing was they could fill most of the rooms for those ridiculous prices - but not all of them. So they wanted to keep squeezing all $1000 from the folks who would pay $1000/night. And offloading 15% or whatever it was enabled that.
GF always had a problem of lower occupancy than other deluxes. They certainly weren't going to lower prices at the "flagship" so just reduce the hotel inventory and boost the DVC inventory.

Supply/Demand Curve Fixed!

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
They’re supposedly making it fancier, too. It has room service when the Poly doesn’t! How exclusive!
Unless you're slumming it in the Sugar Loaf Club Building. So when you get the munchies in your even more overpriced room, you now have to hike it to the main building for your Club Level fix.

I'm sure they have guest surveys that say it's more magical to not offer room service or some nonsense.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
They’re supposedly making it fancier, too. It has room service when the Poly doesn’t! How exclusive!
They also went back and proactively put mini fridges back in all the GF rooms and VGF studios instead of those stupid beverage coolers. The other resorts are only getting the mini fridges back as the beverage coolers fail (other than new builds and renos)

Super, duper fancy.

ToTBellHop

They also went back and proactively put mini fridges back in all the GF rooms and VGF studios instead of those stupid beverage coolers. The other resorts are only getting the mini fridges back as the beverage coolers fail (other than new builds and renos)

Super, duper fancy.
Good. Those beverage coolers are terrible. Especially in a DVC room where members are encouraged to bring their own food.

Bocabear

well the 80s was kind of a down time for all kinds of design....while the arts seemed to explode... The previous rooms at the Poly were beautiful...not so thematic but very nicely done... The rooms in the 90s went very thematic with lots of details.
1717764239724.png

Communicora

Premium Member
I will say, the pictures that are posted with the room rates look less beige than what was in the video.

Headboard, Wall art and tub, and Shower are some areas I noticed differences.

I'd still prefer less beige, but I like the appearance of what's in the pictures more than I did when I saw it in the video. The shower looked white or grey with a little blue in the video and it appears black in the pictures. I'm guessing neither is 100% accurate, but I hope the rooms are closer to the pictures than the videos.
The color in that video was off. I don't know if it was just the lighting or a bad attempt at color grading, but it made everything appear more grey.

Ayla

well the 80s was kind of a down time for all kinds of design....while the arts seemed to explode... The previous rooms at the Poly were beautiful...not so thematic but very nicely done... The rooms in the 90s went very thematic with lots of details.View attachment 789994
That makes my eyes hurt...and it's in black and white. I can't imagine what the color photo looks like!

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Among DVC rooms is it only the VGF Resort Studios that have beverage coolers? That was what I thought at least. Glad to hear they’re ditching them. They’re clearly a downgrade.
No.

VGF, Poly Tower, BWV, and VDH all are guaranteed to have mini fridges. Anything else will have a mix of beverage coolers and mini fridges.

For many years Disney only did Mini Fridges, then they switched to only beverage coolers, so as mini fridges needed to be replaced in individual rooms (or resorts were refurbished), beverage coolers went in. Now they’ve switched back to mini fridges again.

Which for a resort like BLT or VGC that hasn’t been renovated in nearly a decade, when they were still using mini fridges the first time, means it’s a total crap shoot what you’ll get, since so many of them have failed in the last several years and been replaced with beverage coolers.

The really interesting mini fridges they’re putting into some rooms now that actually have a totally distinct freezer compartment, which makes the fridge area smaller, but will be awesome for someone like me who wants to keep their insulin in the fridge without worrying it might accidentally freeze.

1717766801484.jpeg

Photo credit Tidefan on Disboards

easyrowrdw

No.

VGF, Poly Tower, BWV, and VDH all are guaranteed to have mini fridges. Anything else will have a mix of beverage coolers and mini fridges.

For many years Disney only did Mini Fridges, then they switched to only beverage coolers, so as mini fridges needed to be replaced in individual rooms (or resorts were refurbished), beverage coolers went in. Now they’ve switched back to mini fridges again.

Which for a resort like BLT or VGC that hasn’t been renovated in nearly a decade, when they were still using mini fridges the first time, means it’s a total crap shoot what you’ll get, since so many of them have failed in the last several years and been replaced with beverage coolers.

The really interesting mini fridges they’re putting into some rooms now that actually have a totally distinct freezer compartment, which makes the fridge area smaller, but will be awesome for someone like me who wants to keep their insulin in the fridge without worrying it might accidentally freeze.

View attachment 790003
Photo credit Tidefan on Disboards
Thanks. On the room reservation pages, the Resort Studios are the only studios that list beverage coolers. They should really correct that. I don’t think we’ve ever had a beverage cooler in a DVC room so I guess we just got lucky. Or maybe I just forgot lol

The fridges are so much better than the coolers. I like the separate freezer too so I’m glad if they’re going that direction.

John park hopper

I will say I am so glad they moved away from wall to wall carpet. There should be NO wall to wall carpet in any WDW resort.

Its not a matter if it will mildew its a matter of when it will mildew.
We had wall to wall carpeting in my kids room and our bed room -when the kids moved out I ripped out the carpet. OMG the sand the stains was disgusting put all hard wood floors in --then proceeded to rip out the master bed room carpet same thing. Will never have wall to wall carpet again not matter how much you vacuum or clean it still is nasty. Glad to see Disney is getting rid of it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom