News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

Skibum1970

With the pavilion being in the "Discovery" neighborhood, they could design a nice dark ride that takes a tongue-in-cheek view of inventions and what the future may hold. It could be called Disney's New Horizons. Okay, that would be too easy

I like the planetarium suggestion although I would have the cars go through on their way to other scenes. Although it would fit better in the Nature neighborhood, the ride could explore a variety of locations including space, the north pole, the Amazon, Africa veldt, or other locations. I would say it could focus on inventions but we have Spaceship Earth that does that. Basically, embrace what Epcot was about just once.

Cmdr_Crimson

I would rather see it as a Weather Pavilion with Storm Rider from Disney Sea in the former Body Wars area.

And use Cranium Command as a new show called Storm Command by using the theater on how storms develop all over the world on a huge map with Buzzy becoming a new character named "Stormy Weather" showing the impacts and who, what and why about storms.

The centerpiece of the pavilion a huge indoor tornado you can control. Similar to the one here from Chicago's Museum of Science & Industry.

Bocabear

The
I would rather see it as a Weather Pavilion with Storm Rider from Disney Sea in the former Body Wars area.

And use Cranium Command as a new show called Storm Command by using the theater on how storms develop all over the world on a huge map with Buzzy becoming a new character named "Stormy Weather" showing the impacts and who, what and why about storms.

The centerpiece of the pavilion a huge indoor tornado you can control. Similar to the one here from Chicago's Museum of Science & Industry.

centerpiece could be the huge dome of the interior, projection mapped with ever-changing weather and effects going on all day, spits of rain and storm clouds, sunny day, winter show...It could be amazing...and follow the same for night time except the same things occurring in a night sky...thunder storms etc... Then a spinner attraction, then Storm Riders, a theater show and something else... It would make a spectacular pavilion...if only The Weather Channel would sponsor it... because Disney doesn't seem to want to build anything without sponsorship...

doctornick

And in fact there apparently was some plans to make the WoL area into a weather pavilion just like you suggest. I think it was something like 10-15 years ago but it was considered and there are surely some blue sky plans that could be dusted off if desired.

DreamfinderGuy

Even though it seems to be a very popular fan concept I have to say I am wholeheartedly against turning Wonders into a third Space Pavilion. Two is already too many, one doesn't belong and the other isn't very good. Rather than pumping money into solidifying a weird Space Land, they really should just level M:S and put up a proper Space pavilion on the plot (keep the restaurant). Then in time retheme (or since we're daydreaming here, remove) Guardians.

Of course none of the above is going to happen, and Future World will continue to have two not great Space attractions with a rotting dome in between for the foreseeable future.

James Alucobond

Then in time retheme (or since we're daydreaming here, remove) Guardians.

Of course none of the above is going to happen, and Future World will continue to have two not great Space attractions with a rotting dome in between for the foreseeable future.
Cosmic Rewind would honestly be fine if they just excised the Marvel plot and it delivered on being a journey through the Big Bang (and I also vainly hope this happens someday). I feel like the formation of the universe and exploration of our immediate planetary neighbors are sufficiently differentiated topics to exist in independent pavilions. Kind of agree that WoL would ideally go in a different direction, though.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I agree they could easily find a way to do projection on the large dome and relatively cheaply do a weather pavilion, or some other shows that can use the dome as the setpiece and update the show as needed. At this point I don't really care what they do with it but silly to keep the pavilion (with A/C) closed with nothing

DreamfinderGuy

Cosmic Rewind would honestly be fine if they just excised the Marvel plot and it delivered on being a journey through the Big Bang (and I also vainly hope this happens someday). I feel like the formation of the universe and exploration of our immediate planetary neighbors are sufficiently differentiated topics to exist in independent pavilions. Kind of agree that WoL would ideally go in a different direction, though.
It's still not ideal but yeah, if Guardians went that direction and a proper pavilion themed around space exploration opened in the M:S plot I think it could work. We just don't need three of the same thing occupying that entire half of Future World.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Something like "To the Big Bang... and back!" could have worked as a concept for UoE's replacement.

If only they had something to put in that big empty gold dome formerly dedicated to health and fitness next to Guardians...

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
And in fact there apparently was some plans to make the WoL area into a weather pavilion just like you suggest. I think it was something like 10-15 years ago but it was considered and there are surely some blue sky plans that could be dusted off if desired.
A dusty blue sky isn’t a very exciting theme for a weather pavilion.

Robbiem

If we could redo the whole thing, I still think a space travel World Discovery that sectioned off Test Track and then had Guardians (fantasy), Mission:Space (reality) and Planet Play! Would have worked. The last being a look at history of space travel though a whimsical eye using the characters. Sort of combining the structure of WoL, the whimsical looks at the past of Horizons and World of Motion and the characters required. Seeing Goofy as Jules Verne could actually be pretty fun. And you could easily do an omnimover in classic Epcot style.

It would have created a cohesive narrative through the land and rounded out the offerings age wise.

I used to have a comic book of Goofy Galileo so there is already IP for a tie in 😀✌️

Bocabear

So....this pavilion was announced in February of 2019...literally 4 and a half years ago...And is still sitting shuttered... We have seen permits for show set installation, a new roof...and still it sits. Maybe they are just hoping people forget it is even there....

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So....this pavilion was announced in February of 2019...literally 4 and a half years ago...And is still sitting shuttered... We have seen permits for show set installation, a new roof...and still it sits. Maybe they are just hoping people forget it is even there....
Granted, Covid took a shotgun to the original 2019 plans, which was probably a good thing because the concept, while family-friendly in theory, was a terrible one. But let's be honest - This pavilion has been dead since it was shut down on 1/1/2007. The fact that no one has been able to come up with a suitable concept, or even reinvigorate the previous pavilion, in over 16 years is yet another indictment of the Iger era and the general lack of creativity and vision (courtesy of management and the sharp pencil people) that's been endemic under him.

Cmdr_Crimson

We just don't need three of the same thing occupying that entire half of Future World.
Heck, During the early 2000s we had 2 pavilions that featured the same actress...
no-need-to-answer-ellens-energy-adventure.gif

And yes, I know it was another voice actress impersonating her voice but, it was still something she had done..

Last edited:

No Name

Maybe they are just hoping people forget it is even there....
That’s worked for the last 20 years.

Heck, During the early 2000s we had 2 pavilions that featured the same actress...
no-need-to-answer-ellens-energy-adventure.gif

And yes, I know it was another voice actress impersonating her voice but, it was still something she had done..
Steven Tyler occupied two of Hollywood Studios’ greatest attractions at one point. The park hasn’t been the same ever since.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom