News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

doctornick

Well, just incase here's the jist of the East of The Mississippi contract...
EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI – ANY OTHER THEME PARK IS LIMITED TO USING CHARACTERS NOT CURRENTLY BEING USED BY MCA AT THE TIME SUCH OTHER LICENSE IS GRANTED. [FOR PURPOSE OF THIS SUBSECTION AND SUBSECTION IV, A CHARACTER IS “BEING USED BY MCA” IF (X) IT OR ANOTHER CHARACTER OF THE SAME “FAMILY” (E.G., ANY MEMBER OF THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS OR VILLAINS ASSOCIATED WITH A HERO BEING USED) IS MORE THAN AN INCIDENTAL ELEMENT OF AN ATTRACTION, IS PRESENTED AS A COSTUMED CHARACTER, OR IS MORE THAN AN INCIDENTAL ELEMENT OF THE THEMING OF A RETAIL STORE OR FOOD FACILITY;

From that I believe means is that any character being shown within said park can't be used at WDW..Not sure how it complies with the Marvel super hero store At the springs as many of the characters are representend inside..

The portion of the contract you quoted literally defines "being used" as "more than an incidental element" [emphasis mine]. An image being shown on a mural is the very definition of incidental element and wouldn't fall to the level of "being used" by Universal and (thus) being prohibited elsewhere East of the Mississippi.

Substantial use would be the characters used for rides (Spider-Man, Hulk, Storm, Dr. Doom) and restaurants (Captain America, Fantastic Four) plus the walk around characters. And then the "families" of those characters are also restricted.

Edit: for anyone curious, here is the full contract that is available to the public.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't think that's true at all. the panels feature some characters that are not "in substantial use" or part of any restricted "families" that would prevent their use elsewhere. Just using the image you are showing here, for example, I would be confident that the Inhumans (except perhaps Crystal and maybe Medusa) would be able to be used at WDW.

Just having a character's image at Uni is not enough to make them off limit.

I think this is one of those things that has been repeated so many time that people have accepted it as true, but I don't know that there is any proof it is true. We know characters being on the panels is not enough, so the only argument that could be made is that Universal only put the characters they had the rights to on the panels, but it's no even clear if that is the case.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There are a couple of additional wrinkles in the contract where a Disney can’t use the word Marvel in promotion in the parks. So that’s why the store is Super Hero Headquarters instead of Marvel HQ. So definitely no Art of Marvel hotel at WDW, but maybe an Art of Comics hotel.

At one point the sign for the store didn't reference Marvel but that changed a while back.

1652453763483.png

Epcot82Guy

We also don't know the licensing happening behind the scenes. Disney could easily have a one-off license to each of these uses for a fee. Just because it appears at WDW doesn't mean it "doesn't fit in the restriction." The signage restriction could actually be true (not saying it is), and the exceptions are being licensed back to Disney (Marvel). And, that may not be material to the point of disclosure on an 8-K/10-Q/10-K.

RSoxNo1

There are a couple of additional wrinkles in the contract where a Disney can’t use the word Marvel in promotion in the parks. So that’s why the store is Super Hero Headquarters instead of Marvel HQ. So definitely no Art of Marvel hotel at WDW, but maybe an Art of Comics hotel.
Store was renamed to Marvel Super Hero Headquarters.

SuperHeroHeadquarters4.JPG
SuperHeroHeadquarters9.JPG

I've been tracking appearances in the parks: https://wdwthemeparks.com/rumor/marvel-rights-rumor-tracker/

Last edited:

tcool123

WDWFREAK53

One appearance thats missing yet major (in the grand scheme of things) to is the Moon Knight banners and billboards inside Hollywood Studios which signals them as a character usable in the park
And adding Egypt to World Showcase would be great for the skyline and they could shoehorn another Marvel franchise into it. (FYI, I do not want Moon Knight in Epcot.)

Casper Gutman

If Play! Pavilion does open, we should all bet on how many years it lasts before being converted into seasonal/festival space. I'd give it five years.

James Alucobond

If Play! Pavilion does open, we should all bet on how many years it lasts before being converted into seasonal/festival space. I'd give it five years.
Assuming it launches as originally envisioned, it's literally just a screen farm with meet and greets. I don't foresee much of a reason to shut it down, though they could certainly allow it to age ungracefully. The addition of meet and greets to Communicore does have me wondering if they still intend to have this serve that function, though.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Assuming it launches as originally envisioned, it's literally just a screen farm with meet and greets. I don't foresee much of a reason to shut it down, though they could certainly allow it to age ungracefully. The addition of meet and greets to Communicore does have me wondering if they still intend to have this serve that function, though.
New CC SW gets the Mickey family.

Rest of the IPs go to Play.

cookiee_munster

Where on earth has the Doctor Strange thing come from? Just wishful thinking?

I love Doctor Strange. I think this particular character has been my favourite of all the films and stuff released from the MCU. But I think he could be utilised better elsewhere. Better at Disney's Hollywood Studio's.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Where on earth has the Doctor Strange thing come from? Just wishful thinking?

I love Doctor Strange. I think this particular character has been my favourite of all the films and stuff released from the MCU. But I think he could be utilised better elsewhere. Better at Disney's Hollywood Studio's.
Insider said at one time WoL was considered for a second MCU attraction, but, that was a long, long time ago. And it should be considered a very dead rumor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom