News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

DreamfinderGuy

I've come to the realization that the Play! pavilion is just being put in the wrong park, and were that corrected, it would improve on the surrounding land in each park.

To me, you put the Play! pavilion in the Carousel of Progress building in Tomorrowland and you put the Carousel of Progress into the Wonders of Life building as a new World of Progress pavilion. This way, with the Tron coaster and the rumored Wreck it Ralph attraction, Tomorrowland could easily embrace a cyberpunk aesthetic fairly easily that would greatly strengthen the land. Space Mountain goes down for its much needed rehab and track replacement and can come back with a CyberSpace Mountain overlay. The Speedway gets either a Tron-esque or Sugar Rush overlay. A little handwaving on Buzz and Monsters. Then lots of accent lighting and a ElecTRONica party at night. To me, that land is stronger than what is there now and the Play! pavilion would be a great benefit.

Carousel in Epcot helps cement the identity of Future World to the World's Fair that always will be, by adding another of Walt's 1964 World's Fair attractions to the park (Test Track being the spiritual and architectural successor to the Magic Skyway, and American Adventure the spiritual successor to Lincoln). This is the same reason why it's a small world would work better at Epcot.
With all due respect to your idea, Carousel would be a horrible waste of the Wonders pavilion. Too large of a space to dedicate to one little show that doesn't fit the new theme of the park.

Brer Oswald

With all due respect to your idea, Carousel would be a horrible waste of the Wonders pavilion. Too large of a space to dedicate to one little show that doesn't fit the new theme of the park.
They could do a City of Future Living pavillion, with different exhibits and lavish set pieces.

But honestly, I think they'd be better off sticking to the human body theming. I don't understand what was wrong with that? It is still an interesting topic.

TwilightZone

I've come to the realization that the Play! pavilion is just being put in the wrong park,
I'm one who is in the belief that Play is actually a perfect fit for epcot, maybe the most perfect in a long time. It just has the wrong theming. If it had an Innoventions approach/classic epcot approach with as little IP as possible, with one or two IP experiences sprinkled in it would have been perfect.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Well, it doesn't even really fit the them of where it is now.

Just like Tomorrowland and Future World had misthemed rides that featured gas-powered cars (!), they both had an Edutainment attraction that gave a history lesson leading up to the present: Carousel of Progress and Spaceship Earth. And their scenes for the 'present' kept getting outdated. I realize CoP was dumped into MK's Tomorrowland because they wanted to save it from the World's Fair, and that was the closest fit. Don't know why SSE was then built as another history lesson in progress.

It's Tomorrowland and Future World, not History of Progress Land/World.

Maybe there needs to be a Yesterland somewhere.

UNCgolf

Just like Tomorrowland and Future World had misthemed rides that featured gas-powered cars (!), they both had an Edutainment attraction that gave a history lesson leading up to the present: Carousel of Progress and Spaceship Earth. And their scenes for the 'present' kept getting outdated. I realize CoP was dumped into MK's Tomorrowland because they wanted to save it from the World's Fair, and that was the closest fit. Don't know why SSE was then built as another history lesson in progress.

World of Motion also gave a history lesson, although it had a different, more comedic tone.

I think that's why Spaceship Earth and Carousel of Progress are two of my favorite attractions at WDW. I wish there were more rides with a history lesson!

SSE is obviously a much broader history lesson about humanity as a whole, though (albeit with a heavily Western Civ focus). Carousel of Progress was just about 20th century technological progress.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

Perhaps we just turn Tomorrowland into "Non Human Movie Land with Blue Lights".

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Perhaps we just turn Tomorrowland into "Non Human Movie Land with Blue Lights".
Just make it about space. That won't become old hat for about forty years when we finally realize that other planets are truly inhospitable, there is no other life out there, and our species will never colonize other worlds due to the constraints of engineering and relativity and we're doomed to die along with our sun. So, that'll be fun for awhile.

DoleWhipDrea

From Disney's perspective, they see the WoL building as a place to shove the demand for Meet and Greets and things for little ones to enjoy while the thrill seekers head to the other attractions in the same area.

Didn't Walt Disney say that he wanted to make a place where both the parents and the children could enjoy doing things together? Hmm...

I think the idea of "PLAY" could still be about the body while being fun at the same time. How we physically, mentally and emotionally experience the world, with some sprinkling of IP for relatability, could be a lot of fun for guests. I still think that after everything that's happened with the pandemic, physical health is that much more important to gently educate the public about in an entertaining way. And Disney has that partnership with AdventHealth, after all...

RobbinsDad

Just make it about space. That won't become old hat for about forty years when we finally realize that other planets are truly inhospitable, there is no other life out there, and our species will never colonize other worlds due to the constraints of engineering and relativity and we're doomed to die along with our sun. So, that'll be fun for awhile.
Did Sirwalterraleigh hack your account? 🤣

EeyoreFan#24

From Disney's perspective, they see the WoL building as a place to shove the demand for Meet and Greets and things for little ones to enjoy while the thrill seekers head to the other attractions in the same area.

Didn't Walt Disney say that he wanted to make a place where both the parents and the children could enjoy doing things together? Hmm...

I think the idea of "PLAY" could still be about the body while being fun at the same time. How we physically, mentally and emotionally experience the world, with some sprinkling of IP for relatability, could be a lot of fun for guests. I still think that after everything that's happened with the pandemic, physical health is that much more important to gently educate the public about in an entertaining way. And Disney has that partnership with AdventHealth, after all...

I used to think WOL was a nice flex space for Disney and they saw possibilities (such as play) for guest use that they would one day bring back to everyday pavilion style use.

More and more now I think now and in the future they see it as a warehouse with some existing guest space they can use if someone wants to come in and pay the bills, but no loss if they don’t. I think you description of the adventhealth is something they are looking for with play.

Animaniac93-98

I sincerely doubt PLAY is anything substantial. I'm sure in the suits' view, it is merely a place for a non-riding parent to go with their smaller kids while Test Track, Mission Space and Guardians are being ridden by those tall or brave enough.

Ironic, given the space was where EPCOT had its first true thrill ride

1634681382808.png

Bocabear

Imagine if it was used to make Space the pavilion it should have been... If after your journey to Mars in the simulator craft, you boarded an omnimover much like the sea cabs in the Living Seas which would take from the transportation hub across the Martian landscape and deposit you in Base Station Mars...where there would be further attractions interactive exhibits to explore,, a restaurant and shows... Making that quadrant of the park all about Space...especially with "Wonders Of Xandar" Pavilion next door.
That was the Space Pavilion we were supposed to get... That would be an engaging use of the space...

FigmentFan82

^That is a really great idea. I would not mind at all if there was a big chunk of area just for space stuff.
I'm curious to see if PLAY! does evolve into something slightly different then what they have been showing, perhaps less "hands-on" things? I mostly just want the pavilion to be used for something! Instead of just flex space or sitting empty. It makes me think of this Black Widow quote from Civil War...
"Staying together is more important than how we stay together."
Just do something with it already.

Cmdr_Crimson

Considering the sequel to that attraction got leveled it would have been a prequel if it were moved there anyways..

Tonto

I think this may have been mentioned, but I would be surprised if this actually happens.
Kids play areas may be a thing of the past with this new Covid era we are living in.
Just a thought.

DreamfinderGuy

I think this may have been mentioned, but I would be surprised if this actually happens.
Kids play areas may be a thing of the past with this new Covid era we are living in.
Just a thought.
It is still being advertised daily in the Odyssey. Cancelled projects were pulled as best they could be from the show, but the entire segment on Wonders remains.

Cmdr_Crimson

It is still being advertised daily in the Odyssey. Cancelled projects were pulled as best they could be from the show, but the entire segment on Wonders remains.
You would think they would have a newer one by the next year to at least shift it..I mean what shall happen to the Odyssy once the re-imagined Epcot gets completed..Would it just return to a seasonal building for festivals?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom