New Peter Pan interactive queue

since donalds boat is gone why not make it captain hooks interactive pirate ship they could make it huge and it would be perfect right in the area kids can go on the top and look out on the kingdom and the inside can have interactive hallway on the side they can have a water play area and have low pressure water cannons out the side that look out on the water area. only problem is the rivers of america being behind it. if you look at a guide map
( http://mappery.com/maps/Disneys-Magic-Kingdom-Map.jpg ) there pretty much butting up to eachother unless which is were a counter argument could come into play that it takes away from the tour of the rivers of america even though i think it would look totally awesome
this would be in place of the skyway station NOT the ride line. as far as that goes i think something involving tinkerbell would make sense

Magenta Panther

Maybe they should theme it to the Lost Boys singing "Following the Leader" since you are in a line after all. That way, everyone will keep moving forward! :ROFLOL:

Yeah, you laugh, but I actually think that's a good idea!

Wow, I hadn't heard that there's going to be an interactive queue for Pan. If so, that's awesome! Can't wait for details!

It's always surprised me how popular the Pan ride is. There are always long lines there when I visit WDW. It's dated as heck, and yet it still retains so much charm...But I agree with others here, that a CAREFUL, high-tech upgrade is needed. After seeing the amazing queue HM now has (and one I was fearful of, for no good reason as it turns out), I can't wait to see what the Imagineers do with Pan!

Of course, if I had my way, Peter Pan's Flight would be upgraded to a ride that would equal or surpass The Forbidden Journey...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The bad thing is after it is completed there will be members who will tear it apart and and moan how it doesn't keep the same feeling of the original ride and how the themeing just destroys the meaning of the attraction. :rolleyes:

John Dean

Re: Old Fantasyland restrooms.
The thing I always like about them aside from the "Prince" & "Princess" signage, was the funky old school powdered soap. It seems as I recall it was one of the last Disney restrooms that kept using it while most had been converted to liquid hand soap. When the Fantasyland restroom finally changed from the powdered stuff to the liquid, I must admit I was a little bummed. Silly, I know.

RSoxNo1

There isn't a lot of room in the front of Peter Pan for an expansion out towards it's a small world. I wouldn't be surprised to see the queue entrance actually change so that it's closer to Liberty Square.

As for a time frame, it seems this probably won't begin until Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid open. Here's hoping that it also includes a substantial ride refurbishment as well.

lazyboy97o

The bad thing is after it is completed there will be members who will tear it apart and and moan how it doesn't keep the same feeling of the original ride and how the themeing just destroys the meaning of the attraction. :rolleyes:
That depends on how it is all done. If the ride is not changed and the interactive elements reference Neverland then I will be one complaining that the queue no longer follows the attraction's story of going to and returning from Neverland.

AEfx

All of this pretty much sums up the hersay you think you know about ADA compliance.

'something' 'ADA folks' airquotes and all.

Disney would likely be more concerned with reducing the need to have separate handicap accessible queues then worrying about being compliant. Being compliant is easy with accommodations. A separate entrance, requiring transfers - done. Where Disney goes above and beyond is where they try to accomodate handicapped while minimizing the impact on the show for everyone.

There is no need to worry about ADA grandfathering here except in the queue itself - and that's simply design decisions.

I'm sorry, but that is simply incorrect. And I'm not sure what I did to deserve the attitude, but that's OK. I'm simply sharing the facts of the situation.

I have done a good deal of research on this attraction and it's compliance in particular. You are absolutely correct, Disney is rather incredible in their accommodations to those that would otherwise be unable to ride in most circumstances (though, to be fair, quite a bit of what they do is mandated by law). My post was not criticizing Disney, though it would be nice if they could bring the ride into full compliance.

The queue is not the problem - there is a separate entrance for disabled guests. Disney does not have to make all queues accessible if they provide an alternate entrance, as they do on Pan.

The problem is the ride system itself. It is not meant to be stopped. In order to be accessible, they need to actually stop for boarding. This is where compliance comes in.

The only way for someone who cannot walk to get on Pan right now is to have someone physically pick the person up, and run along side the ship while it's moving and slip them in. Depending on the size of the person and how strong the guests with them are, this can range from easy, to downright impossible. However, even when it does work, it still technically is not accessible (and is pretty dangerous which is why some CM's frown on it).

They can slightly slow it, but they cannot stop it without a Full E-Stop. Now, I haven't seen or heard this done in several years, so I do not know if it is still valid, but at one time an E-stop required that Reedy Creek fire department was called and everyone was evacuated from the ride as it supposedly is a safety hazard to restart the ride while guests are suspended in vehicles.

They have not had to update the attraction ride system because it is grandfathered under the ADA laws. As I specified in my previous posting, it would depend on lawyers and the interpretation of the law if the queue was considered part of the ride structure or not. Those types of details depend on whom you talk to, and whomever is making the judgement.

Basically, to bring it compliant would require a rebuild of the entire ride system so it was able to be safely stopped and started while the attraction was in operation without having to E-stop.

As it seems they already have permits for this, apparently the queue is not considered part of the ride building for whatever reason.

I have a disabled member of my family that is no longer able to ride (she is almost 20 years old now, we simply cannot pick her up and carry her on in the time frame allotted by the non-stopping vehicles like we used to), of course I do hope that someday this ride (and TTA) is brought into compliance.

Like we discussed earlier in the thread, I have a feeling that once FLE is in place and Mermaid/Snow White are open, we'll see Pan go down for a rebuild, not only to address the issue of the non-compliant ride system, but also the outdated technology compared to the Pan's in other parks. Ours is the oldest at this point, as it's never been substantially updated (even Disneyland's version added fiber optics, for example, and the Paris version blows us out of the water). It would be wonderful to see this, as it is slightly ironic that the ride that let's you fly you have to be able to walk to experience.

RunnerEd

I'm sorry, but that is simply incorrect. And I'm not sure what I did to deserve the attitude, but that's OK. I'm simply sharing the facts of the situation.

I have done a good deal of research on this attraction and it's compliance in particular. You are absolutely correct, Disney is rather incredible in their accommodations to those that would otherwise be unable to ride in most circumstances (though, to be fair, quite a bit of what they do is mandated by law). My post was not criticizing Disney, though it would be nice if they could bring the ride into full compliance.

The queue is not the problem - there is a separate entrance for disabled guests. Disney does not have to make all queues accessible if they provide an alternate entrance, as they do on Pan.

The problem is the ride system itself. It is not meant to be stopped. In order to be accessible, they need to actually stop for boarding. This is where compliance comes in.

The only way for someone who cannot walk to get on Pan right now is to have someone physically pick the person up, and run along side the ship while it's moving and slip them in. Depending on the size of the person and how strong the guests with them are, this can range from easy, to downright impossible. However, even when it does work, it still technically is not accessible (and is pretty dangerous which is why some CM's frown on it).

They can slightly slow it, but they cannot stop it without a Full E-Stop. Now, I haven't seen or heard this done in several years, so I do not know if it is still valid, but at one time an E-stop required that Reedy Creek fire department was called and everyone was evacuated from the ride as it supposedly is a safety hazard to restart the ride while guests are suspended in vehicles.

They have not had to update the attraction ride system because it is grandfathered under the ADA laws. As I specified in my previous posting, it would depend on lawyers and the interpretation of the law if the queue was considered part of the ride structure or not. Those types of details depend on whom you talk to, and whomever is making the judgement.

Basically, to bring it compliant would require a rebuild of the entire ride system so it was able to be safely stopped and started while the attraction was in operation without having to E-stop.

As it seems they already have permits for this, apparently the queue is not considered part of the ride building for whatever reason.

I have a disabled member of my family that is no longer able to ride (she is almost 20 years old now, we simply cannot pick her up and carry her on in the time frame allotted by the non-stopping vehicles like we used to), of course I do hope that someday this ride (and TTA) is brought into compliance.

Like we discussed earlier in the thread, I have a feeling that once FLE is in place and Mermaid/Snow White are open, we'll see Pan go down for a rebuild, not only to address the issue of the non-compliant ride system, but also the outdated technology compared to the Pan's in other parks. Ours is the oldest at this point, as it's never been substantially updated (even Disneyland's version added fiber optics, for example, and the Paris version blows us out of the water). It would be wonderful to see this, as it is slightly ironic that the ride that let's you fly you have to be able to walk to experience.

To me a better solution to this would be a seperate load/unload area like Toy Story Midway Mania. There would have to be some type of gap in the spacing of the flying ships so that the accessible ones could be intgrated into the ride. The ADA compliant ships could possibly be custom made so that even chairs could roll into them as well. I think this is a better solution than re-imagineering the entire ride system. Otherwise, great post and great insight.

RSoxNo1

The entire ride needs to be re-done. A new ride system that can be ADA compliant should be just the tip of the iceberg. The boats need to be able to support a larger capacity, and the track needs to be able to support the weight. Once that's addressed, the show scenes themselves need to be plussed or at the very least returned to the former levels of movement on the AA's.

flynnibus

Premium Member
They have not had to update the attraction ride system because it is grandfathered under the ADA laws

While true it pre-dates the compliance requirements - not every experience needs to be compliant.

As I specified in my previous posting, it would depend on lawyers and the interpretation of the law if the queue was considered part of the ride structure or not. Those types of details depend on whom you talk to, and whomever is making the judgement.

That's because there is no such thing as 'the ADA folks'. ADA compliance is dictated by one person - a judge. There is no enforcement by the fed or state - it's purely something that must be settled by suing and decided by a judge. The law defines the intent, and subsequent agencies have defined standards - but only a judge in a lawsuit can truely label you compliant or not.

Then that right there is sufficient to say they don't need to make the ride accessible. The law protects businesses from having to make impractical or undue burden. The very fact you believe it would take so much to make it compliant - is exactly why Disney could argue why they don't have to make it compliant.

Captain Neo

wait is it confirmed that Peter Pan is getting an interactive queue? Instead of an interactive queue how about updating and upgrading the ride. Disneyland's FL dark rides got major updates in the 80s and have been getting several new effects recently while WDW's rides are still stuck in the 70s.

AEfx

To me a better solution to this would be a seperate load/unload area like Toy Story Midway Mania. There would have to be some type of gap in the spacing of the flying ships so that the accessible ones could be intgrated into the ride. The ADA compliant ships could possibly be custom made so that even chairs could roll into them as well. I think this is a better solution than re-imagineering the entire ride system. Otherwise, great post and great insight.

I agree, those are always better - but I believe that too would require a rebuild of the ride system. I spoke with a Disney engineer about it a few years ago. Basically, the ride system is not designed for anything like that - which is why it needs the e-Stop.

Some combination of the way the vehicles move along the track, the sensor systems, and the load stress - apparently the weight of people in the vehicle is an issue during restarts, which is why (at least of as of couple of years ago - I haven't heard any changes) SOP was to evacuate the ride when it had to be restarted, and since there are heights involved that's when they used to call Reedy Creek.

While true it pre-dates the compliance requirements - not every experience needs to be compliant.

First, not sure why you have such a hair across your behind about this, or towards me, haha. But oh well...if you want to be the one arguing against disabled people having access to rides, that's on you. ;)

Yes, every *new* ride, and every ride not grandfathered (i.e. built before the law went into effect), needs to be ADA compliant. The ADA isn't a "most" or "some" proposition. As you act as if to know so much about it, I am surprised you don't. It falls under Title III, which includes "equal and full enjoyment of commercial facilities".

That's because there is no such thing as 'the ADA folks'. ADA compliance is dictated by one person - a judge. There is no enforcement by the fed or state - it's purely something that must be settled by suing and decided by a judge. The law defines the intent, and subsequent agencies have defined standards - but only a judge in a lawsuit can truely label you compliant or not.

Ugh, are you still two posts back?

When I said "ADA folks" - I was referring to the various organizations that push through and use the legal system to enforce the ADA through those very judges you mention.

It's rather uncommon for an individual to just hire a lawyer and sue over the ADA - usually one of those organizations is involved as it is such a special area of law (though of course some lawyers do specialize in ADA cases).

Then that right there is sufficient to say they don't need to make the ride accessible. The law protects businesses from having to make impractical or undue burden. The very fact you believe it would take so much to make it compliant - is exactly why Disney could argue why they don't have to make it compliant.

Oh, great, glad my post on a message board helped you justify telling a kid with a wheelchair they can't ride if they can't walk. :rolleyes: You just got done telling me that only a judge can make that decision - which court are you appointed to, Your Honor?

Seriously, though - well, I can't take you seriously, LOL. Disney could argue (though I don't think they would, every time someone sneezes wrong at WDW it's national news - "Disney redoes ride but still tells people in wheelchairs to take a hike..." would look really good). It's likely they wouldn't, because unlike you, except in rare circumstances, they don't tend to argue against disabled people.

However, as RedSox said, the ride basically needs a total rebuild anyway so it shouldn't be a concern. I know I'm not the only one who thinks we'll see a big downtime after FLE is in, as our Pan pales in comparison to every other one in existence.

That said, there exists a possibility that I could be absolutely wrong - and you could be absolutely correct. Yay you! Yay for justifying kids and adults who cannot walk being told that they don't have the right to ride, too. (Which the law inherently disagrees with, not to mention common decency.)

It's like the people that complain about the vehicles slowing on the Haunted Mansion - I bet you a million bucks that *every single* person who it has to stop for would gladly trade a momentary pause on the ride to have two working legs. Geniunely disabled people also generally feel awful about anyone having to wait even 30 extra seconds for them. They have no choice except to stay home.

Disney is *wonderful* because they often go above and beyond what is required by law. Thank goodness for that, as it makes up for people like yourself whom I cannot label or I would violate the rules of this board.

Have a magical day, and when you are walking around today make sure you take a moment to be grateful that you can.

Scuttle

Original Poster
wait is it confirmed that Peter Pan is getting an interactive queue? Instead of an interactive queue how about updating and upgrading the ride. Disneyland's FL dark rides got major updates in the 80s and have been getting several new effects recently while WDW's rides are still stuck in the 70s.

Just another example of the suits in cali neglecting WDW.

aladdin2007

Why should they when TDO will not take care of what they already have.

True it will take another fire or something before TDO does anything about it. Yet they can keep adding these interactive queue's while the actual attraction is falling apart. (Except for haunted mansion). I dont see them keeping both queues and rides up equally all the time, pooh already has problems with the queue, and the ride is in need of a cleanup/paint job yet they give that no attention. Pan is to get an interactive queue but not a thing planned for the ride itself? Something is wrong there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom