New Peter Pan interactive queue

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
True it will take another fire or something before TDO does anything about it. Yet they can keep adding these interactive queue's while the actual attraction is falling apart. (Except for haunted mansion). I dont see them keeping both queues and rides up equally all the time, pooh already has problems with the queue, and the ride is in need of a cleanup/paint job yet they give that no attention. Pan is to get an interactive queue but not a thing planned for the ride itself? Something is wrong there.

When is Pan getting an interactive queue?

daikonjam

The only way for someone who cannot walk to get on Pan right now is to have someone physically pick the person up, and run along side the ship while it's moving and slip them in. Depending on the size of the person and how strong the guests with them are, this can range from easy, to downright impossible. However, even when it does work, it still technically is not accessible (and is pretty dangerous which is why some CM's frown on it).

They can slightly slow it, but they cannot stop it without a Full E-Stop. Now, I haven't seen or heard this done in several years, so I do not know if it is still valid, but at one time an E-stop required that Reedy Creek fire department was called and everyone was evacuated from the ride as it supposedly is a safety hazard to restart the ride while guests are suspended in vehicles.

Almost every time i go on the ride it stops completely (usually around the mermaids). I always thought it was to let handicapped people on, and i've never been evacuated from the ride, so i don't know what you're talking about when you say it can't start and stop with people still on it o_0 thats happened to me... almost every time xD

startraveler

We have asked if they can stop it for a wheelchair transfer and been told they cannot. We ask each time (yearly) in case something has changed. This ride has not been on our list for 20 years. Hoping for a change soon!

toolsnspools

ADA compliance aside (and I think ADA compliance is absolutely necessary), the ride needs to be updated, for safety if nothing else. My niece got the last second jitters at the end of the loading platform and lifted the bar to get out. Thankfully she stopped before trying to jump off the ride, but the bar was stuck full up. My DD and her tried to pull it back down, but it was locked open. :eek: They had the common sense to sit still during the ride, with me in the car behind them reassuring them, but it was a disaster waiting to happen. When I informed the CMs, they just shrugged it off. In hindsight, I should have pushed it up to management, but never did.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It will probably go down for a refurb and a new interactive queue when mermaid and circus open. The queue is happening it's just a matter of when and to what extent.

Right. And this has been announced as actually taking place?

Cosmic Commando

No, but I'm pretty certain this will be happening.
It's a connect-the-dots thing. The Pan queue is terrible to wait in because of FASTPASS and largely uninteresting to look at. Personally, I would say it's my least favorite line to wait in. Next to the current Pan queue is a set of restrooms that people on the boards seem to say is outdated and too small for their "demand". There have been permits filed that show they are building big, shiny, new restrooms in the old Skyway section. After the new restrooms are built, there will be no need for the old restrooms and another path to LS... maybe the new Pan queue will even stick out a little bit into the current path to LS?

Timon

As others have said the ride needs to be updated. FYI DLP has ride vehicles which hold 4 vs 2 for twice the capacity of our vintage '71 model.

Just a thought that maybe the old bathrooms would accommodate a handicapped load/unload area so it can become ADA compliant and not mess with ride efficiency.

While an interactive queue would be nice, I'd rather see 4 passenger vehicles, handicapped loading and an overall ride update.
WDW vs DLP ride vehicles:
MK%202%20seats%20vs%20DLP%204%20seats.jpg

Edeyore

I love how people here on this site are just like me. Me and my brother love those shields too! Our memories of those classic shields go back to when we went in 1986. Fantasyland queues as we knew them are going away. Back when Small World, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Snow White, all had classic metal railing switchback queues that overlooked the Fantasyland traffic. Now Pooh is updated, Peter Pan will be updated, Snow White will be gone, so all we'll have of those classic Fantasyland queues is Small World. I think it's all for the better, but I'll miss those old queues. I actually REALLY hope the do keep those shields. That would make me so happy.

The shields should be on Ebay shortly after the renovations are done!

imagineer boy

It's a connect-the-dots thing. The Pan queue is terrible to wait in because of FASTPASS and largely uninteresting to look at. Personally, I would say it's my least favorite line to wait in. Next to the current Pan queue is a set of restrooms that people on the boards seem to say is outdated and too small for their "demand". There have been permits filed that show they are building big, shiny, new restrooms in the old Skyway section. After the new restrooms are built, there will be no need for the old restrooms and another path to LS... maybe the new Pan queue will even stick out a little bit into the current path to LS?

I honestly have to say the Pan queue is the worst queue in all of WDW. I always feel sorry for the poor souls who decide to wait in it.

IWant2GoNow

The bad thing is after it is completed there will be members who will tear it apart and and moan how it doesn't keep the same feeling of the original ride and how the themeing just destroys the meaning of the attraction. :rolleyes:

Ehh, let them gripe. I've heard comparisons that certain attractions are pieces of art and they shouldn't be tampered with. But in all honesty, Walt always said they would always be expanding and changing, and therefore a constant work-in-progress and never a finished masterpiece. And much like any art, finished or not, everyone will have their own opinion on it. Although Walt was talking about Disneyland at the time, I'm sure he would have felt the same way about any other future projects.

I'm all for TDO putting forth the money and effort into these queues as long as they are done well. I hope PPF receives a queue worthy of my time as I have been FP'ing it ever since FP came along.

flynnibus

Premium Member
First, not sure why you have such a hair across your behind about this, or towards me, haha. But oh well...if you want to be the one arguing against disabled people having access to rides, that's on you. ;)

Because I'm tired of people spewing misinformation on this topic.

Yes, every *new* ride, and every ride not grandfathered (i.e. built before the law went into effect), needs to be ADA compliant. The ADA isn't a "most" or "some" proposition. As you act as if to know so much about it, I am surprised you don't. It falls under Title III, which includes "equal and full enjoyment of commercial facilities".

I misspoke when I said compliant - I didn't mean the law didn't apply - I meant they don't all have to be ACCESSIBLE. Do you see roller coasters with wheelchair vehicles? Plus, because the ride would be a retrofit - there are greater exceptions for refurbishment/expansion work then there are compared to new structures.

The law does not try to be draconian and provides reasonable measures for people to opt out of compliance issues that are unreasonable to correct.

Oh, great, glad my post on a message board helped you justify telling a kid with a wheelchair they can't ride if they can't walk. :rolleyes: You just got done telling me that only a judge can make that decision - which court are you appointed to, Your Honor?

Seriously, though - well, I can't take you seriously, LOL. Disney could argue (though I don't think they would, every time someone sneezes wrong at WDW it's national news - "Disney redoes ride but still tells people in wheelchairs to take a hike..." would look really good). It's likely they wouldn't, because unlike you, except in rare circumstances, they don't tend to argue against disabled people.

There is a big difference between CHOICE and required. Going around saying the law requires something is entirely different then Disney chosing to do something. For instance - the observation room at Nemo subs in DL. Totally by choice. Disney does it I'm sure as extra buffer to further protect themselves legally - but they didn't have to do it. They could have easily argued it was not practical to make the existing subs accessible and therefore would have been excluded from the requirements.

That said, there exists a possibility that I could be absolutely wrong - and you could be absolutely correct. Yay you! Yay for justifying kids and adults who cannot walk being told that they don't have the right to ride, too. (Which the law inherently disagrees with, not to mention common decency.)

So are you running around with protest signs at every attraction that isn't accessible to anyone? How about the new Forbidden Journey ride that isn't accessible to everyone? Or any other number of attractions where the seat/restraint combination excludes people?

You can try to make me seem evil for explaining the law - but I'd rather be evil and correct then ignorant and polite.

Disney errs to the safe side more often then not because they are such a big target. That goes for most liability topics - not just ADA. Disney also has a history of being accommodating as a form of customer service. All great attributes - but that doesn't mean they are forced to do it because of ADA. They do it out of CYA and customer service.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom