New Peter Pan interactive queue

AEfx

ADA requires reasonable accommodations, I am not sure just changing the queue or facade would make not changing the ride considered unreasonable.

The ride is not compliant as it stands now. The reason Disney has been able to keep the ride in that state is because of a "grandfathered" law that states something to the effect of if a building is of a certain age, and has not been renovated in a certain amount of time, the law is not enforced.

However, making structural changes for any other reason would instantly kick in the law and they would lose exempt status.

The stickler would be in the details, I'm sure, and it would completely depend on how lawyers can parse the building up under the law. Repainting, other things don't count, but the second they modify any part of the structure it kicks in.

I brought this up because people were talking about possible changes to the queue/load area for this "interactive queue", and I was just mentioning that anything like that will be limited due to the ADA-issue. The queue there is so tight as it is, and usually full to the brim with people, so I don't see how they could add "interactive" elements without actually redesigning and ripping out the queue that exists. It would be up to the lawyers to figure out/argue that the queue is not part of the structure (and it would also depend on if someone made a specific complaint to the ADA folks or not).

Biting the bullet and closing the attraction for essentially a total rebuild to use a non-continuous ride system, for accessibility, and two row ride vehicles may be able to increase the attraction's capacity which would in turn add a little capacity to the park.

That's my best guess as to what will happen. It's gotta be done sooner or later. Disney is one of the most ADA-friendly places on Earth, but it does kind of stick a little that the one ride that "you can fly!" in can't be visited by many disabled guests who may not be able to even walk. They do such an amazing job overall, I'd love for them to figure this out - and then it's just the TTA left. Plus, Pan could dearly use an upgrade/rebuild completely overall anyway to benefit all guests.

YankeeMouse

I also am a little sad about the restrooms going. The Prince and Princess ones. The Princess bathroom has really cute tiles with swans, etc. on them.

NewfieFan

I liked them too, but there is a line and becoming nostalgic about some bathrooms is probably crossing that line.

I think by being on these forums in the first place we have probably crossed "that line"!

:lol:

So, is it an actual rumor that the Peter Pan queue will extend into the old bathrooms?

IlikeDW

when are they starting this que? Sorry cant spell

I do not remember seeing anyone confirming that there are definite plans to redo the queue. Just educated guesses that the space freed by the restrooms closing would be used for that. If anyone in the know has stated definite plans I missed it.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I think Disney should just take everything out of the ride and re-theme it to a real dark ride, rather than just small dolls and a couple of outdated AA's.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The ride is not compliant as it stands now. The reason Disney has been able to keep the ride in that state is because of a "grandfathered" law that states something to the effect of if a building is of a certain age, and has not been renovated in a certain amount of time, the law is not enforced.

However, making structural changes for any other reason would instantly kick in the law and they would lose exempt status.

The stickler would be in the details, I'm sure, and it would completely depend on how lawyers can parse the building up under the law. Repainting, other things don't count, but the second they modify any part of the structure it kicks in.

I brought this up because people were talking about possible changes to the queue/load area for this "interactive queue", and I was just mentioning that anything like that will be limited due to the ADA-issue. The queue there is so tight as it is, and usually full to the brim with people, so I don't see how they could add "interactive" elements without actually redesigning and ripping out the queue that exists. It would be up to the lawyers to figure out/argue that the queue is not part of the structure (and it would also depend on if someone made a specific complaint to the ADA folks or not).

All of this pretty much sums up the hersay you think you know about ADA compliance.

'something' 'ADA folks' airquotes and all.

Disney would likely be more concerned with reducing the need to have separate handicap accessible queues then worrying about being compliant. Being compliant is easy with accommodations. A separate entrance, requiring transfers - done. Where Disney goes above and beyond is where they try to accomodate handicapped while minimizing the impact on the show for everyone.

There is no need to worry about ADA grandfathering here except in the queue itself - and that's simply design decisions.

FigmentJedi

Pan could definitely use a ride update. Audio especially. The Captain Hook they have in the ride doesn't sound like Captain Hook at all, it's time to put Corey Burton's voice in there.

DaGoof00

When I heard about it, I thought they could turn the queue into the Darling's house, but that might not offer many opportunities to make it interactive. It occurs to me that they have less space with Pan than they did with Pooh, what with another ride just across the way, so it'll be interesting to see what they do.

Hopefully something that makes the line move faster. For what amounts to a ceiling mounted Omni-mover, that thing has lines that baffle the heck out of me.

I couldn't agree more; although, one time, 3 years ago, I walked right on early in the morning. Even the cast member at the line entrance was stunned at how short the line was....

wedenterprises

When I heard about it, I thought they could turn the queue into the Darling's house, but that might not offer many opportunities to make it interactive. It occurs to me that they have less space with Pan than they did with Pooh, what with another ride just across the way, so it'll be interesting to see what they do.

Hopefully something that makes the line move faster. For what amounts to a ceiling mounted Omni-mover, that thing has lines that baffle the heck out of me.

Because of FastPass.

mp2bill

So what is up with the Peter Pan interactive queue we all know is coming? Is it just going to used in the old bathroom area or up by the front of the line? I just hope TDO doesn't touch those shields on the rail. They are so classic and I remember them from the early 80's when the shields towered over me. Anyway anyone know if those have been there since 71 or if they plan on destroying them to make way for a new queue? What made me think of this is I just got off the crapper reading the Sentinel and the cover page had an article that said "They have learned, for instance, to install interactive elements closer to the end of a queue rather than the beginning, because quests still far from the ride itself don't like to slow down". Got me thinking. But to my memory the shields are near the beginning of the line right? I don't know because we have fastpassed it the last 10 times. Anyone know anything or have thoughts?

Unneccessary info. You could have just said that you "just finished reading the Sentinel." Nevertheless, I too, hope they don't get rid of the shields. If they do need to remove them due to the implementation of an interactive queue, hopefully they're able to use them elsewhere in the line.

JungleTrekFan

Being compliant is easy with accommodations. A separate entrance, requiring transfers - done.
I agree making PPF ADA complaint wouldn't be difficult at all. Since its not an actual omnimover, thus the vehicles arent connected to eachother, just build a seperate station and have a handicap accesible vehicle. Similar to Midway Mania, that way it can be continuesly moving, yet allow handicap to take there time boarding.

The only problem would be space for a seperate station.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom