New Passholder Best Rate Program

Jekyll Baker

Just saw this topic on another site/forum and didn't know if anyone here knew about it yet.

This is from the Passholder page:

Planning a vacation in a few months? Then it's time to try our Passholder Best Rate Program! Now Passholders booking a Disney Resort room online under the Passholder Best Rate Program at disneyworld.com/passholders can rest easy knowing they have received our best room rate offered to the general public* at that time for the room and nights booked. And, if we subsequently reduce our room rate to the general public for the same room and nights you booked online under this Program, we will automatically reduce your room rate to match that lower rate.

Rooms must be booked at least 120 days in advance and, unlike our normal cancellation policy, a non-refundable deposit of 1-night's room charge and tax must be paid at the time of booking. Currently this program is only available for arrivals through 12/19/05. The number of rooms and nights available for this Program is limited and rooms are not available every night. This Program is subject to change or discontinuance at any time and without notice.

* Does not include group rates, auction rates or rates conditioned on group/club memberships or other specified eligibility requirements.

It's access through the passholder section of disneyworld.com, and let's you book through what looks like the regular booking engine. I looked at it briefly, but since AP rates for 120 days away haven't really been announced, it gives rack rates. So you'd be leaving it up to Disney what price you end up paying.

I dunno 'bout 'dis. What ya'll think?

wannabeBelle

Not a good idea to NOT release them if the premise of this new system is that you only have to book once and Disney will give you any discounts that are made available later without you having to call in for them!!!
If this is going to be the case then 45 days out give us the option to cancel a ressie if discounts have not been announced for that time period. Or if you are going to maintain the no cancellation part, Give us the discounted rates at the time of booking and not play a waiting game!!!!
If Disney is not going to release discounts that is certainly their right to do so, however then dont expect us to book blindly and not have the option to cancel in the future. Belle

Upvote 0

durangojim

Went on the passholder site and you can't reserve anything starting in December, it only lets you choose October or November. I really don't like how this is going.

Upvote 0

tigger1968

In my opinion, it's unfair to have rates available from June to December, but potentially block out a two week window in the middle of a month. I just fail to see the logic in it. For what it's worth, they very well may have rates for that time frame, but none have been released yet. My point is that it makes no sense to me to have a cut off at Oct. 4th for AP Rates, then roll out a new program that kicks in on the 19th. Why not just extend rates out to the 19th then?

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

tigger1968 said:
In my opinion, it's unfair to have rates available from June to December, but potentially block out a two week window in the middle of a month. I just fail to see the logic in it. For what it's worth, they very well may have rates for that time frame, but none have been released yet. My point is that it makes no sense to me to have a cut off at Oct. 4th for AP Rates, then roll out a new program that kicks in on the 19th. Why not just extend rates out to the 19th then?

Tigger, just an FYI. The AP discount dates usually track with the deluxe resorts season dates. The current set of AP rates are for 7/5-10/4 are the summer value season for deluxe resorts. 10/5 starts the fall regular season. You will probably see by-phone AP rates for check-ins after 10/5 released sometime in late July or early August.

The only reason I can think of for why this new best rate plan starts on Oct 19th is the 120 day booking requirement and somehow Disney was late in rolling out this program to meet the Oct 5th check in dates.

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Disney's fiscal year starts somewhere in October as well. Probably has something to do with that too - if only from a "looks good on paper if its only in 1 fiscal year" sorta standpoint.

Upvote 0

tigger1968

mousermerf said:
Again - back to the idea...

Why is it unfair not to have discounts?

Who's side are you on, anyway? :lookaroun

I'll try to explain it again....

I don't think it's fair to offer a discount to a group of people for an extended period of time, then have a small window where no discounts are available in the middle of it. And quite frankly, it's unfair because I have a personal stake in it. The dates in question are the only time we may travel. Since there is a chance that we would not be able to book at an AP rate during that time frame, but could within a few days before or after, that would make it unfair to me, in my opinion. I have booked using an AP rate for three years now, so yeah, I'm ticked at the prospect of paying more. I average about three trips to WDW a year at this point, and what makes that easier for me is knowing I get a discount on my room. I just feel that I should have that discount ability for the whole time frame in question.

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
So, in your opinion, they should offer a discount year round?

Why would they do that...?

Wouldn't it be equally fair to have all the "after christmas sales" every day starting with Thanksgiving?

Upvote 0

tigger1968

Moustronaut said:
Tigger, just an FYI. The AP discount dates usually track with the deluxe resorts season dates. The current set of AP rates are for 7/5-10/4 are the summer value season for deluxe resorts. 10/5 starts the fall regular season. You will probably see by-phone AP rates for check-ins after 10/5 released sometime in late July or early August.

The only reason I can think of for why this new best rate plan starts on Oct 19th is the 120 day booking requirement and somehow Disney was late in rolling out this program to meet the Oct 5th check in dates.

I knew that, but I was on a rant... :lookaroun

This whole thing is most likely a moot point anyway. I called back to confirm some info, and was told that they most likely will, as you point out, release codes to cover those dates. They better, anyway...lol

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hey Mouse Merf I Am not necessarily disagreeing, If Disney chooses not to have discounts available to it's most loyal repeat customers, that is certainly their right. All this will do is bring a ton of bad will, many non renewed AP's and decisions of consumers to spend their money elsewhere!!! All I can see this is as a lose-lose proposition all the way around. I dont think that anyone, Disney or the AP holders, want to see that happen. Belle

Upvote 0

tigger1968

mousermerf said:
So, in your opinion, they should offer a discount year round?

Why would they do that...?

Wouldn't it be equally fair to have all the "after christmas sales" every day starting with Thanksgiving?

So you don't shop with coupons, buy off the value menu, or shop sales? Do you pay full price for everything? I'm just curious as to why you seem to be against discounts for frequent guests. Would you mind explaining your position?

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
It doesn't make it unfair though. Not good for you personally - yes, but unfair? Nope. You can reschule to match the discount dates. If you can't, that's your personal problem not Disney's.

Lots of folks complain life isn't fair. To be certain: It's not. However, Disney room discounts are not one of those things that is unfair.

Inconvienent, perhaps, but not unfair. Discounts are not guaranteed as part of an AP, but rather admission to the parks (and even that is on Disney's whim) so if you're not renewing because you're not getting a discount you need to reconsider why you got the pass in the first place.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

The question is, Do Disney Reps ever look at these Boards.

And if they dont offer discounts sending letters from all those complaing on this board will help if they dont help us.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

As I said, if Disney chooses not to extend the AP discounts that is certainly their right. Not a smart business move but certainly their right.
In response to that I would think that Disney would expect many consumers to take their business and dollars elsewhere. AP passes may not be renewed becuase if we aare not visitng the parks why would we need them, people may choose to make alternate hotel arrangements rather than staying on property, Consumers may decide to spend their money on a vacation destination that has NOTHING to do with Disney!!! Specials of this type (AP discount, package specials etc) are a marketing tool to get more business. DME was created specifically to make staying on property the easiest thing to do. Once you have people on your property, if there isnt an easy way to get back off for cheaper dinners etc, people are going to spend money eating at your restaurants and buying souveniers etc in your shops!!! This has been a goal of the WDW company for a while now as I recall. This money all translates into revenue for the company.
I dont know if I would call not releasing the discounts fair or unfair. It wouldnt be my first choice in their situation. Getting back to the new plan for AP holders, I dont think that it is fair or smart on anyone's part to agree to a price over 4 months prior to a trip in the HOPES that a discount will be given. Would you go into a store, swipe your credit card and hope that the price they are charging you for a particular item is less than what is marked because you THINK it might be on sale?? Of course not!!!! Most people wouldnt!!! And then if you arent comfortable with the price be charged a fee to return the item without even trying it on?? Same basic principle!!!! I for one will NOT be using the automated system unless some major changes are implemented. I hope that many people realize how absurd this is and if enough people dont use the system, it will be either modified or scrapped!!! Belle

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I think its more along the lines that you're gonna come (well, most people are, not all APs are locals) and if there is a discount later disney will give it to you - seems kinda nice, for those who would be coming anyways.

Lotsa folks own APs who arent local at WDW, unlike DL where is almost exclusively locals.

I don't think it was designed as a "screw the APs" type deal, but rather a different offering.

Upvote 0

PeeplMoovr

I read through most of these posts, and please forgive me if this question was answered, but:
Will this change have anything to do with Florida resident rates?
I spend over-nights in the parks quite frequently on weekends but cannot know 120 days in advance if I will be available. Thus, this new reservation system doesn't fit me, especially if all the AP discounted rates are taken up by the time I can call to book. The result is that I will either discontinue my weekend overnight trips if I'm unable to get AP discounts, make only day-trips instead of overnight trips (resulting in less time in the parks and resorts), or stay in Lake Buena Vista at cheaper hotels. I like staying on property, but I also like spending less. Of course Disney has a right to do this but quite honestly, right or wrong, I've gotten used to the discounted prices. I don't pay full prices anymore, and it's difficult to do so after using discounted prices for so long. I'll have to change my pattern to fit it, and that will likely mean spending less at Disney because of it. I, and many others, will just have to adapt as they change their policies.
So can I instead use the Florida resident rates, which have been similar or the same to AP rates as far as I can tell over the last several years?
Thanks JPVonDrake for all your help, by the way. If there's any way you can pass word along to Disney of the (mostly negative) reaction to this policy, it might help us and them! :lol:

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

tigger1968

mousermerf said:
It doesn't make it unfair though. Not good for you personally - yes, but unfair? Nope. You can reschule to match the discount dates. If you can't, that's your personal problem not Disney's.

Lots of folks complain life isn't fair. To be certain: It's not. However, Disney room discounts are not one of those things that is unfair.

Inconvienent, perhaps, but not unfair. Discounts are not guaranteed as part of an AP, but rather admission to the parks (and even that is on Disney's whim) so if you're not renewing because you're not getting a discount you need to reconsider why you got the pass in the first place.

You really aren't getting any of this, are you... :brick: If it affects me personally, then it's unfair to me, isn't it?

Since you really haven't answered anything I've asked you about, and can only keep repeating the same thing over and over, would it be safe to assume that you work for Central Reservations or WDW in some other capacity? I'm just curious, since you seem to be the only one defending WDW's discounts for AP's.

It just seems to me that we all come here because of a love of WDW, so wouldn't we all want to be able to stay there a little cheaper? What puts you on the other side of that? At any rate, lighten up! :)

I'm not trying to start a raging debate on the fairness of discount codes or anything. I agree that Disney has every right to offer them or not. I just hope they don't mess up my trip! :lol:

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

mousermerf said:
I think its more along the lines that you're gonna come (well, most people are, not all APs are locals) and if there is a discount later disney will give it to you - seems kinda nice, for those who would be coming anyways.

Lotsa folks own APs who arent local at WDW, unlike DL where is almost exclusively locals.

I don't think it was designed as a "screw the APs" type deal, but rather a different offering.
You are making the assumption that I would be coming if there is a discount or not. I Am not. Perhaps I would consider it for one trip but certainly not the 5 that I am most likely taking this year!!! I did 6 last year and every one of them was with an AP discount. I live in NYC so this is certainly not a spur of the moment thing for me. I have already done two trips this year ( both with AP discounts incidentally) and have the next two lined up (also with discounts) The fifth one hasnt had any discounts released for that time frame as of yet. Should the discounts not come I may not come as often, possibly stay off property, or opt for another vacation destination altogether. Hopefully Disney will see the marketing strategy this COULD be and encourage their most loyal repeat visitors to keep coming to experience the Disney Magic!!!! Belle

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
PeeplMoovr said:
Thanks JPVonDrake for all your help, by the way. If there's any way you can pass word along to Disney of the (mostly negative) reaction to this policy, it might help us and them! :lol:

Thanks again.
As JP will probably tell you they listen to guests long before cast members. I plan on sending guest communications an e-mail concerning this new program and I encourage every one else that is not too thrilled about this plan to do the same. My travel habits are exactly like yours and if this policy makes it past the test phase my travel plans will change much in the same way you purposed.

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

tigger1968 said:
You really aren't getting any of this, are you... :brick: If it affects me personally, then it's unfair to me, isn't it?
:lol: yes it is horribly unfair to me that the monorail doesn't stop at my doorstep and that they bloody charge me admission into these parks.

Since no where in your AP booklet does it say you are gaurenteed a room discount, I got to go with mousermerf on this one. Not unfair to you, it just kinda sucks.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom