New Passholder Best Rate Program

Jekyll Baker

Just saw this topic on another site/forum and didn't know if anyone here knew about it yet.

This is from the Passholder page:

Planning a vacation in a few months? Then it's time to try our Passholder Best Rate Program! Now Passholders booking a Disney Resort room online under the Passholder Best Rate Program at disneyworld.com/passholders can rest easy knowing they have received our best room rate offered to the general public* at that time for the room and nights booked. And, if we subsequently reduce our room rate to the general public for the same room and nights you booked online under this Program, we will automatically reduce your room rate to match that lower rate.

Rooms must be booked at least 120 days in advance and, unlike our normal cancellation policy, a non-refundable deposit of 1-night's room charge and tax must be paid at the time of booking. Currently this program is only available for arrivals through 12/19/05. The number of rooms and nights available for this Program is limited and rooms are not available every night. This Program is subject to change or discontinuance at any time and without notice.

* Does not include group rates, auction rates or rates conditioned on group/club memberships or other specified eligibility requirements.

It's access through the passholder section of disneyworld.com, and let's you book through what looks like the regular booking engine. I looked at it briefly, but since AP rates for 120 days away haven't really been announced, it gives rack rates. So you'd be leaving it up to Disney what price you end up paying.

I dunno 'bout 'dis. What ya'll think?

JPVonDrake

Simba One said:
You've said that there will be two passholder rates--the 120 day/non-refundable deposit/online rate and the anytime/refundable/phone rate. You also said that the online rate will always be a greater discount.

So help me out here...it seems logical to assume that if the online rate is always lower and is adjusted to match any general public discount--then the general public rate could be lower than the passholder rate offered through 407-WDISNEY? That doesn't make sense to me.

It seems more likely to me that the online rates and phone rates could often be the same. Agree?

My posts are based on the offer policies presented to us at DRC. This Program is subject to change or discontinuance at any time and without notice.

And in times past, some general public offers have been (although rare) lower then passholder offers.

:sohappy:

Upvote 0

brkgnews

JPVonDrake said:
And in times past, some general public offers have been (although rare) lower then passholder offers.

I really hate to keep playing Devil's advocate here. But...

If I've booked under the old room-only AP discount system, and a new general public offer comes out that's lower... Can't I just cancel everything without penalty anyway and book the new lower general public rate?

Again, JVPD, I know you're basing all this on what you've been told and that it's all subject to change or discontinuance. You've ALWAYS been more helpful than you ever had to be. God knows the last thing I would want to do on my time off is spend more time doing work-like stuff (although, ironically, that's just what I'm doing today).

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

brkgnews said:
I really hate to keep playing Devil's advocate here. But...

If I've booked under the old room-only AP discount system, and a new general public offer comes out that's lower... Can't I just cancel everything without penalty anyway and book the new lower general public rate?

Again, JVPD, I know you're basing all this on what you've been told and that it's all subject to change or discontinuance. You've ALWAYS been more helpful than you ever had to be. God knows the last thing I would want to do on my time off is spend more time doing work-like stuff (although, ironically, that's just what I'm doing today).

First, always my pleasure to help! But to answer your question...

Currently, if you have booked a discounted (or non-discounted) room-only reservation by phone (407-W-DISNEY) you can modify your reservation to any other room-only discount offer up to the day prior to arrival without penalty. Your deposit will be imediately transfered to the new reservation. If you cancel your reservation outright, you must do so more then 5 days prior to arrival or you will lose your first night's lodging deposit. This policy has not changed, nor is expected to change at this time.

Upvote 0

Jekyll Baker

Original Poster
I still think my biggest problems with the Best Rate program are

1) I rarely know more than a month or so if I can even get away from work long enough to enjoy WDW (which automatically counts me out for the 120 day deadlines)

2) it sounds like Priceline, etc. - I want to know up front what I'll be paying when I'm making my AP ressies, not waiting to see if I might get a discount ('cause just for fun I looked at making a res for late Oct (120 days out) to see rates, and it currently shows rack rates, not even AP rates, though I don't think AP rates are out for that time yet)

In a nutshell, I just can't find a way to trust this system.

BTW, thanks JP for clearing up as much confusion as you can.

Upvote 0

brkgnews

JPVonDrake said:
Currently, if you have booked a discounted (or non-discounted) room-only reservation by phone (407-W-DISNEY) you can modify your reservation to any other room-only discount offer up to the day prior to arrival without penalty. Your deposit will be imediately transfered to the new reservation.

So I (or someone like Pam @ Kingdom Konsultants) can do what the new system does. Basically, the new system makes it so I don't have to constantly keep an eye out for new rates. The system watches for me, and in return for this service, I have to be willing to waive certain liberties (IE, easiy modification, cancellation, etc). Bascially, the heavier restrictions are the "price" I pay for the monitoring service. Correct?

Lord Help, It's all strating to make sense now.

Now that I kind of understand it, I'm better able to assess it. I probably won't use the new system (unless heaven forbid it's the only choice in the future). But it's nice to have enough info to make that choice. Gracias, JVPD! I'd green ya if I could.

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

Well, fortunately I've never had to cancel or modify a reservation after I've made it.

I booked with Pam this year for the first time and appreciate her help.

But I am MOST concerned about the possibility that my AP will be activiated at reservation time. If that's the case, The AP value drops considerably, causing me NOT to buy AP OR use this new system.

Upvote 0

tecowdw

Looks like Disney is getting to be like the airlines. You book and you never get your money back if you have to cancel. Then they charge you a fee to modify your reservation for a later date, assuming you know one at the time. This is okay, I guess, for the genreal public. However, it seems wrong to treat your best customers in this manner.

Now, if all this is in an effort to reduce those people that abuse the system, I sure think Disney would have the resources to come up with a better plan than this. To expect the AP holders to always know their plans 120 days in advance is absurd! Now if the AP discounts get as small as the former Magic Kingdom Club/Disney Club rates were, then the fees will outway the advantages. The minuses of this program sure outway the pluses!

What ever happened to the days when the customer was important???
:eek:

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

brkgnews said:
So I (or someone like Pam @ Kingdom Konsultants) can do what the new system does. Basically, the new system makes it so I don't have to constantly keep an eye out for new rates. The system watches for me, and in return for this service, I have to be willing to waive certain liberties (IE, easiy modification, cancellation, etc). Bascially, the heavier restrictions are the "price" I pay for the monitoring service. Correct?

Lord Help, It's all strating to make sense now.

Now that I kind of understand it, I'm better able to assess it. I probably won't use the new system (unless heaven forbid it's the only choice in the future). But it's nice to have enough info to make that choice. Gracias, JVPD! I'd green ya if I could.
You got it!!!!! I understood it the same exact way. It is kinda like Pam but automated and Disney doesnt require a rep to take a call to modify an existing reservation thereby saving them money. And JP you have been a God send through all of this. Thanks for all your time and information in helping us to understand the new program. Thankfully as long as they maintain the current system for passholders, I think I will opt for that to have a bit more flexibility in my plans and not have to gamble that there wont be any AP rates at the particular time that I want to go!!! Belle

Upvote 0

AEfx

wannabeBelle said:
The Modification part is not sitting great with me either AEfx, ,that and the fact that even if a "General Public" rate does not come outthat is lower than the price you booked at, you DONT have the option to cancel, without a loss of your deposit!!! THAT is the part that really has me mad. I understand about the booking and rebooking etc. but if that is the case, release the AP rates further out. Speaking on Modifications, I cant tell you the last time I had to actually cancel a room only trip, but I usually dont know who is going with me until very close to the trip!!! I may be alone, I may not!!!

You aren't alone, Belle. We've discussed this "tip" before - when you are AP holders that are part of the 1000+Mile club, often it's best to just book your trip, let the interested parties know they are welcome to tag along, and be done with it.

The change fee for things like changing people on the room is ridiculous, not because it irritates me but it goes against Disney's bottom line. For instance, my last trip a month ago was booked several months before I knew the person who was coming with me was coming. If they hadn't come, I'd have just gone solo. Now, if (when) that situation arises again, Disney wants to charge me $50 to bring someone along that isn't changing anything - except the fact that this person now has to buy an admission ticket and food for a week? They want to charge us for bringing more business to them is what it feels like to me.

Granted, we probably aren't the "typical" AP holder, but then again, it's not like AP holders represent the general public either.

Well just have to see if these "discounts" are any good before judging. However, I have a feeling I'm going to rather pay a little more in the long run (less of a discount) than go through all this nonsense with modification penalties. What I like about Disney is that you feel a bit more in control of your reservation than other places, and it will have to be one heck of a discount for me to give away that benefit.

AEfx

Upvote 0

microconn

Can someone say "Cash Grab"!!!

I have never heard of a modification price other than airlines. Also the whole non-refundable deposit is bogus. All it saves me is from calling back. Disney's bottom line and cash flow are always helped greatly by the parks. With the poor performance of the company over the last little while, it looks like Iger wants to come out with some new "growth".

Regs,

CJM

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I still dont see many people using this system. Granted we are probably better informed about it due to JPVonDrake, but I would be leery of a system when I could not cancel for any reason without losing my deposit!!!! Also the idea of booking something at a higher price and then HOPING that it goes lower, but one would never be sure what the final dollar amount would be?? Nah no thanks, I will call when the AP rates become available and take my chances that way!!! Belle

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

wannabeBelle said:
I still dont see many people using this system. Granted we are probably better informed about it due to JPVonDrake, but I would be leery of a system when I could not cancel for any reason without losing my deposit!!!! Also the idea of booking something at a higher price and then HOPING that it goes lower, but one would never be sure what the final dollar amount would be?? Nah no thanks, I will call when the AP rates become available and take my chances that way!!! Belle
I dunno. I think I may actually use it for my "Oh My God I'm Finally, FINALLY a Lawyer" next year. I will likely know those dates at least 120 days in advance, and it seems as though, no matter what, I'll at least get the AP rate for my stay (because, IIRC, JP said that it counts as a "general public" discount).

Besides, if I put down a deposit, then someone else is just going to HAVE to take care of any work emergencies that come up during my vacation time. ;)

However, this rate would not have worked for this August, simply because I booked it when I had less than 90 days left untill departure.

Here's hoping that they keep both systems. I think in the end it may lead to more flexibility, in the sense that you can still take your "spur of the moment" trips, but at the same time, if you do get the chance to plan things well in advance, then you can potentially get a "reward" for it.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

potentially being the key word there. I dont like the idea that you DONT know if a discount will be released, how much it will be or if it will be at all. THAT is the part I am not comfortable about. As I said before, I never really know until closer to the actual trip who is going with me. For my trip in May I found out who was going to be my roomie literally one month out. I had booked my room two month previous or so to that!!!!! I think I will continue to go with the known AP rate. I still think that if I am giving up my ability to modify, change, cancel etc, Disney should be giving me a good AP rate from the get go, not playing a guessing game. Belle

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
For the amount Disney is asking you to give up to possibly get a better rate the price difference would have to be huge before I would consider using it. As most of us know the price difference will probably be very small, I would guess less than $10 per night off the standard AP rate. The only way I would even consider using this system would be if it became our only option or if AP rates became impossible to get. More than likely if that scenario occurred it would make me consider staying off property more often.

Upvote 0

microconn

How many think that this will be our only option?

How many people think that this will become the only AP Rate option?

I for one think it will be as the CM I spoke to said this will be the only way for the dates stated since it is a "trial" of the new program.

Regs,

CJM

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

microconn said:
How many people think that this will become the only AP Rate option?

I for one think it will be as the CM I spoke to said this will be the only way for the dates stated since it is a "trial" of the new program.

Regs,

CJM

I can assure you it currently is not the only way to use a passholder discount offer, but it is the only way to get the "Best" passholder discount. Availiablity will be limited for any Passholder offer, and it is possible that few (if any) rooms will be left within 120 days of arrival if booked by phone. It all depends on how many Passholders take advantage of the online offer.

Disney does realized that not all of our guest have access to a computer or the internet, or simply do not trust using credit cards on the internet. Disney also realizes that not everyone has a credit card, so Disney does allow you to pay your deposit by personal check, bank check or money order if you book by phone, and are more then 45 days prior to arrival for a package or more then 2 days prior to arrival for a room-only booking. Overnighting of your payment and only bank checks or money order payments may be requested depending the type of booking or the length of time prior to arrival. Some restrictions do apply to check payments.

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Hey JP, can you buy insurance when booking the AP? And if so, will it nullify the non-refundable deposit if for some reason you needed to cancel?

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

AkiraRaptor said:
Hey JP, can you buy insurance when booking the AP? And if so, will it nullify the non-refundable deposit if for some reason you needed to cancel?

Well, Disney's Vacation Protection Plan (travel insurance) is available only on Walt Disney Travel Company Vacation Packages, not room-only reservations. If you book your airfare with Disney you can add the insurance to cover your air, transfers and other WDTC components, but it will still not cover the room.

You may be able to purchase trip insurance through outside vendors or travel agencies but be sure to read all the fine print as to what types of vacations and cancellation reasons they will cover and what they will not.

Maybe Pam with Kingdom Konsultants can help?

Upvote 0

drp4video

I still have an unanswered question:

If you can only book one room under the best rate plan, what if you have a large immediate family that needs two rooms?

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

drp4video said:
I still have an unanswered question:

If you can only book one room under the best rate plan, what if you have a large immediate family that needs two rooms?

Currently an Adult passholder can only book one room per reservation with this online offer. If more then one adult passholder is traveling, you each book a separate reservation, (each listing the names of the just the guests who will be in that room) then call 1-407-W-DISNEY to link the two or more reservations together as a "travel with". The reservations remain separate, but the resorts always sees the reservations together and knows to place the rooms as close as possible. No modifications fees will apply to link any number of separate reservations.

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom