News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

Thelazer

Maybe at least they could pressure wash all the panels while they are up there and give em a good polishing to!
If that could be done, I'll live with however these lights turn out, if we can get SSE looking at least not like a dirty golf ball anymore.

artvandelay

Are these light fixtures RGB? RGBAW? or just “white” LED’s? Trying to figure out how many control channels and how many universes of DMX.

Brenthodge

Are these light fixtures RGB? RGBAW? or just “white” LED’s? Trying to figure out how many control channels and how many universes of DMX.
I definitely don’t think they are white only. That defeats the point of the 6 points of light around the circumference of the fixture to shine into the 6 creases in the surface at each joint point. These will create washes of color across the surface of SE in (hopefully) subtle patterns. I’d say at least RGB around the edge and maybe RGBW in the center with each of the 6 diodes around the edge being addressed separately from the diode matrix on the front.

tparris

What’s with removing all the red pavement in the entrance area? They seem to be doing it in the france pavilion too
They’re replacing the pavement under SSE to match the new pavement in the entrance plaza. As for France, I’m not really sure, but it’s probably just a routine thing

flynnibus

Premium Member
All this talk about wiring... violating the structure etc. doesn’t sse already have strobes installed in alot of those spots today?

i still question the tap light dome though. Curious the effect they are going for that projection wasn’t enough

Brenthodge

All this talk about wiring... violating the structure etc. doesn’t sse already have strobes installed in alot of those spots today?

i still question the tap light dome though. Curious the effect they are going for that projection wasn’t enough
I don’t believe there are strobes all over the surface, and I appreciate the fact they are NOT doing projections, but an actual, surface mounted lighting effect. I think the issue with projections is the same as they’ve always had, how do you light the tip top where the angle and curve makes that almost impossible.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don’t believe there are strobes all over the surface, and I appreciate the fact they are NOT doing projections, but an actual, surface mounted lighting effect. I think the issue with projections is the same as they’ve always had, how do you light the tip top where the angle and curve makes that almost impossible.

they have the same problem throwing lights at it and get a reasonable effect.

i thought it had strobes... but maybe they were laser effects

example

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
they have the same problem throwing lights at it and get a reasonable effect.

i thought it had strobes... but maybe they were laser effects

example

And this is why a lot of laser projecting effects are awful. You have a beam of light tracing a path on a object over and over again, but not fast enough to not see it jitter.

Unlike the electron ray gun of a cathode TV tube which used a phosphor dot on the screen to temporarily glow and 'hold' the light there long enough to be refreshed, laser light just bounces off a spot and it immediately darkens when the laser pointer moves on. The technology hasn't progressed much since the 70's "laser light shows".

Laser lights can be used in some good ways, but projecting images will always be a fail until the mechanism moving the laser becomes much, much faster (requiring the laser light to be even brighter) or they use a whole boatload of lasers at once.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And this is why a lot of laser projecting effects are awful. You have a beam of light tracing a path on a object over and over again, but not fast enough to not see it jitter.

Unlike the electron ray gun of a cathode TV tube which used a phosphor dot on the screen to temporarily glow and 'hold' the light there long enough to be refreshed, laser light just bounces off a spot and it immediately darkens when the laser pointer moves on. The technology hasn't progressed much since the 70's "laser light shows".

Laser lights can be used in some good ways, but projecting images will always be a fail until the mechanism moving the laser becomes much, much faster (requiring the laser light to be even brighter) or they use a whole boatload of lasers at once.

not sure what this tangent was for...

TikibirdLand

Posterity.

Also, it goes to the discussion of projection v. self illumination and how the projections on SSE weren't that good, so, the new self-illumination has a hope of being good.

Or not.
Gotta admit, I really liked the Death Star projection. And, the Mike Wazaowski projection was pretty cool as well. But, I agree that this new internal lighting will be "more magical, more Disney"!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Posterity.

Also, it goes to the discussion of projection v. self illumination and how the projections on SSE weren't that good, so, the new self-illumination has a hope of being good.

Or not.

the old laser shapes on the surface of course is nothing like the 3d projection mapping the company has lots of experience with now

the laser shapes were great for their time. We just have people with more complex expectations now. And the lighting throws have always been awesome

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Spaceship Earth lighting package testing! OK probably not.
DSC00030-1.jpg

DSC00033-2.jpg

DSC00036-3.jpg

sedati

I used to love it when they projected a rotating earth on Spaceship Earth at the end of the night. But then again, they've also used it as advertising space as well. I think it was GE or Sylvania back in the day and more recently Siemens.
1617646091857.png

Imagine instead of the kiss goodnight at the Magic Kingdom, they just turned the castle into an ad for Huggies Diapers.
#ADcot

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom