News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Haven't been to a FotA, (will do in a few days), do they put topiaries up for that?
Not much...

1609964819604.png

The festival features:
  • Seminars and workshops from top Disney, local and nationally-renowned artists including classes on drawing animation, photography and the art of making topiaries – just to name a few

But concept art showed the entrance full of topiaries.

castlecake2.0

I was there the day before the walls when up and there were poured concrete footers in the gardens. I didn’t take a picture but there were several of them and it looked like they were either meant to hold street lamps or flagpoles? Could be part of what’s going on.

IMDREW

It is amazing how many people think that concept art literally means, cast in cement. They might still show up when there are a few in the nursery that are the right size to be placed there. Nature doesn't happen overnight. Or they might not think that palm trees are necessary there. Time will tell.
I know what concept art means obviously. It’s still fun to dig into them. Even if it may not be the final product.

Goofyernmost

I know what concept art means obviously. It’s still fun to dig into them. Even if it may not be the final product.
That is OK, but I didn't quote you, I was just making what I find as a consistent situation. How many times have we heard that things are different then the concept art, like it was some sort of contract. So many things can enter into how much or even if things shown in the concept art are thought by many to be factual and must show up. If it isn't your belief then It doesn't apply to you. But, there are many that do expect it to be the same because that concept art showed it. Concept art is also used to sell an idea and the more attractive things are presented the easier it is to sell to the money people.

tparris

The only instance I can think of where the original concept art actually matched the final product is Super Nintendo World in Japan. Most of the time however the art doesn’t represent the end results. Also the palm trees could be there as a result of that piece of art being based on the 1981 EPCOT Center art.

lazyboy97o

The only instance I can think of where the original concept art actually matched the final product is Super Nintendo World in Japan. Most of the time however the art doesn’t represent the end results. Also the palm trees could be there as a result of that piece of art being based on the 1981 EPCOT Center art.
“Concept art” is a bit of a misnomer. Concept Design is a specific phase of design while the art that is released can be generated at any point during the design process that includes three more phases after Concept. In more and more cases, such as the recent hotel towers or a lot of the stuff for Disney Springs, the “art” is also the “blueprints.”

Goofyernmost

Oh contrair!

Plenty of art looks like the end result.
Of course it will look like the art work, but not down to every single detail like every flower or every tree or even every type of tree or bush. That is what is being discussed here. The concept art except for the actual over all design will be what the artist envisions and not what is necessarily practical or even sensible. That was the just of the discussion that involved palm trees to be there. The location of certain plant life (i.e. the trees in front of the castle) are not used because they may block a light projection or the ability to see the central objects clearly for the guest. They can amount to living curtains that cannot be opened to reveal the show.

OvertheHorizon

In one close-up version of the concept art for Epcot's new park entrance, there are no trees shown (where palm trees once stood). Instead, there are a series of flag poles to the left and right of Spaceship Earth.

I loved the original palm trees, but having visited the park more than a few times in January and February when they were in use, I saw them fall victim to frost. I'm not sure if that was unique to that particular location (since obviously there are lots of palm trees on WDW property). I had always suspected that's why they were replaced.

I celebrate the new park entry design and fountain.

KIGhostGuy

I sure hope the flags are added. The combination of flags, flowers, and fountains goes a long way in any theme park. See also: the refurbished International Street at Kings Island.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom