News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

Father Robinson

Love, love, LOVE!
Things that still bother me (because I’ll never be satisfied)

1.) What is with the trees in the center planter blocking SSE?

2.)Flanking one side of SSE is one tree. The other side has been two trees for years. Get rid of them and bring back the palm trees!
Wow, I was going to say the same thing. LOSE THE TREES!!

The Rocketeer

Would y'all be complaining about trees if they replanted the trees and (kept them growing for 20 years) in MK's hub? 🤔

Jk It does look a little strange, but I think it'll look nice when this is all done and I will take this over the monoliths any day.

I'd love for the palm trees to come back in front of SSE, it would be a nice mix of greenery with topiaries, different kinds of trees, and flowers.

brb1006

Would y'all be complaining about trees if they replanted the trees and (kept them growing for 20 years) in MK's hub? 🤔

Jk It does look a little strange, but I think it'll look nice when this is all done and I will take this over the monoliths any day.

I'd love for the palm trees to come back in front of SSE, it would be a nice mix of greenery with topiaries, different kinds of trees, and flowers.
A lot of us would actually be happy if they ever replanted trees around the Magic Kingdom's Hub. The trees added more character to the park. Especially at night where the trees used to twinkle.

tirian

A lot of us would actually be happy if they ever replanted trees around the Magic Kingdom's Hub. The trees added more character to the park. Especially at night where the trees used to twinkle.

Try to avoid comparing apples to oranges. The Magic Kingdom is supposed to feel as if there’s a fairy-tale castle rising among the trees. Epcot shouldn’t feel that way.

Still, considering how often Epcot replaces its landscaping, it’s premature to form an opinion on small trees in a planter.

DVCakaCarlF

While I would prefer palms as well I assume they are more worried about optics. In the high hurricane force winds that can sometimes rip through there they would inevitably have to add supports to keep them upright since palms have very small roots and therefore little base support. Having this on other palms throughout the property may not be a big deal but since this is the first thing you see when coming into EPCOT then they probably want to avoid that look. This is just my guess and opinion. :)

View attachment 483872

But then you see palms like this too so what do I know? 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 483873
Palms, like the one in your second picture, start as a grass blade and take nearly 100 years to root. The palms we plant today are “plucked” from developing other areas and resold. They, then, need to be braced, until they have rooted.

DVCakaCarlF

Those trees are crape Myrtles and they will hardly get any taller than they are already...they will spread out over the walkways and provide some shade to the entrance. And, yes, they will have the same color flowers as the concept art this summer. They just need a minute to settle in...crape Myrtle is a summer blooming tree - not spring.

Yes, I’m a licensed landscaper, professionally.

DVCakaCarlF

Those trees are crape Myrtles and they will hardly get any taller than they are already...they will spread out over the walkways and provide some shade to the entrance. And, yes, they will have the same color flowers as the concept art this summer. They just need a minute to settle in...crape Myrtle is a summer blooming tree - not spring.

Yes, I’m a licensed landscaper, professionally.
And this is for anyone interested in further reading: https://www.arborday.org/trees/treeguide/TreeDetail.cfm?ItemID=825

MrPromey

The trees in the middle may be there to cover up the construction crews while they are rebuilding the fountain and restoring the sculpture in the middle. Then, once that is finished they can remove the trees as part of the reveal. Less construction in your photos until its all done.

Another good point!

peter11435

The trees in the middle may be there to cover up the construction crews while they are rebuilding the fountain and restoring the sculpture in the middle. Then, once that is finished they can remove the trees as part of the reveal. Less construction in your photos until its all done.
The trees are meant to stay. They are even visible in the original concept art.

Prototype82

At first glance at the article, I thought this was going to look like the horrendous Ben and Jerry's innoventions plaza. But I dig it against the blocks of white and the now-white ceiling. It looks like they are incorporating the new pavilion symbol colors. Looks like a good early step in making the park feel cohesive. I like it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.22.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.22.37 AM.png
    319.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
At first glance at the article, I thought this was going to look like the horrendous Ben and Jerry's innoventions plaza. But I dig it against the blocks of white and the now-white ceiling. It looks like they are incorporating the new pavilion symbol colors. Looks like a good early step in making the park feel cohesive. I like it.
Not me. The OCD in me screams "WHY DID YOU PAINT 3/4 of the front of one window a color but go to a natural breakpoint on the back?!?!" I would not have a problem if they painted the entire booth one color or the front and back half of each booth, but stopping 3/4 of the window, WHY?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom