News New Parade: Magic Happens

nemofinder22

Wow! I haven't been on in forever! I haven't read this whole thread so I might be repeating with so many posts in here. A few comments for me about the parade. I LOVED Soundsational, so it was sad to see it go but its time had passed years ago. So YAY! new parade! The floats are beautiful! Gorgeous costumes! A parade with no Little Mermaid! That finale song though! ❤

However I cant help but feel like I watched 3 parades in one parade. The opening unit is like its own little thing. I feel like it has literally nothing to do with anything that follows behind it. Moana, Coco, Frozen feel like a fully fleshed out Disney parade. I would love to have seen maybe 1 or 2 more "big floats. "Finale" I want more!!! lol This segment for me at least really "shines" the "magic happens." Also maybe more performers between the smaller floats.

Congrats to the cast on a overall beautiful parade! and giving all their love into the performances.

Also Hei Hei stole the show!

Last edited:

Giss Neric

In my opinion, Merlin dances better than Mickey's opening crew.

tumblr_nqxccjhKmT1u9hzkjo3_400.gif

TP2000

You just nailed it. Something was off in those photos and I couldn't put my finger on what it was. It's not the showy costumes, it's everyone's RBF.

I admit I had to Google the acronym RBF, but I wish you could see how I laughed once I got it. 🤣

This is not hip nor is it edgy. Rupaul ushered drag into the mainstream in 2009. Lady Gaga has been doing her drag schtick ever since she became a household name with the release of her hit album The Fame in 2008. There are plenty of examples of flamboyant drag in everyday pop culture long before that, from Boy George to Sylvester to Annie Lennox to Grace Jones. If anything Disneyland is late to the party.

They are a bit late. I'm more of a Coco Peru kind of guy, but I get the younger fans of drag like high drama and cattiness. But the vamping and moody strutting from the dancers in the Magic Happens lead unit just seems out of place for a Disneyland parade. They act like they are too cool for Main Street USA, and that's not polite to the park or its customers.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I admit I had to Google the acronym RBF, but I wish you could see how I laughed once I got it. 🤣

They are a bit late. I'm more of a Coco Peru kind of guy, but I get the younger fans of drag like high drama and cattiness. But the vamping and moody strutting from the dancers in the Magic Happens lead unit just seems out of place for a Disneyland parade. They act like they are too cool for Main Street USA, and that's not polite to the park or its customers.

Such shade!

TsWade2

From the videos, it honestly looks like a decent parade to me and I don't quite get the hate for the song. I get the impression that if the Internet was more of a thing in the 1990s we would have had a lot of comments about how irritating the music of the parades of that era was compared to the parade music of the 1960s and 1970s. The music doesn't seem as repetitive as some past parades that now seem surrounded in a glow of nostalgia.

As for the floats, they do seem a lot better at night than during the day. Also not sure why there is both a Moana and a Maui float. The Moana float is great, but Maui could easily be replaced with something else. I think replacing it with something that drew on 90s nostalgia like Hercules or Mulan would have been a good move. Personal favourite is the Coco float and Pepita. Sword in the Stone is a nice inclusion, even if the film is not one of my favourites. Uniqueness is always good! Overall, seems like a good parade to me. Honestly agree with @TP2000 that the Steve Davison extravaganzas were getting a little repetitive.
Wait a minute! Is Steve Davison involving Magic Happens Parade?🤔

disneyC97

And I've seen plenty of smiling drag queens! :)

D

Deleted member 107043

But the vamping and moody strutting from the dancers in the Magic Happens lead unit just seems out of place for a Disneyland parade. They act like they are too cool for Main Street USA, and that's not polite to the park or its customers.

I agree that the faux attitude is corny and dumb, but I'm sort of whatever about the whole spectacle. Maybe I'm less bothered because I'm from SF? I'm also a special events industry veteran and terribly jaded, so there's that. Maybe I need to see it person? I guess I'll have my chance when I'm there next week.

Given how thirsty Disney is for media attention and increased revenue, and the fact that the company is a global entertainment giant headquarted in the LA region with Hollywood roots, I'm surprised anyone is surprised by this stylistic turn. I mean they couldn't do Kids of The Kingdom at Disneyland forever, right?

TP2000

Given how thirsty Disney is for media attention and increased revenue, and the fact that the company is a global entertainment giant headquarted in the LA region with Hollywood roots, I'm surprised anyone is surprised by this stylistic turn. I mean they couldn't do Kids of The Kingdom at Disneyland forever, right?

Oh geez, I would KILL for some Kids Of The Kingdom right about now! You just had to rub that in, didn't you?

56ce89a5fa29b5891e42e621976f55d8.jpg

Also, I tried to crop in Suzy McMoody a bit more for my avatar, just so you can really soak in her mood. RBF!

Last edited:

Curious Constance

I agree that the faux attitude is corny and dumb, but I'm sort of whatever about the whole spectacle. Maybe I'm less bothered because I'm from SF? I'm also a special events industry veteran and terribly jaded, so there's that. Maybe I need to see it person? I guess I'll have my chance when I'm there next week.

Hope you have fun next week!

brb1006

Remember when Kids of The Kingdom used to be the default singers for both Walt Disney World and Disneyland when it comes to parades, events, and shows between 1969 till the late 1980s (as late as 1989 with "One Man's Dream").
latest

I believe they were also heard on the VHS Tape "Disney Sing Along Songs Disneyland Fun" tape.

I found this page from DisneyChris (a website dedicated to previous shows and parade music at Disneyland) that has most of songs performed by Kids of The Kingdom (best known for "Disneyland Is Your Land").

Kids of The Kingdom alongside Jack Wagner were the perfect representation for anything "Disney" for both parks during the 70s and 80s. You don't seen any announcers or singers this charming anymore. I'm surprised Disney hasn't attempted to revisit the "Kids of The Kingdom" idea for a new generation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Remember when Kids of The Kingdom used to be the default singers for both Walt Disney World and Disneyland when it comes to parade, events, and shows between the 1969 till the late 1980s (as late as 1989 with "One Man's Dream").
QQ7hIkdsnnuxsdSRCapg410fLO-Yfy6O-50hhzokKTzr-MFXGn3fzlqwA22KyJSJIYMnkOG6qUbJrN9ZXts_umpEMMZ_qUjmt5XvCMTEVdLIBuMxnfbIs2LnbfeQZHByNJGG4ZGkFUM

I believe they were also heard on the VHS Tape "Disney Sing Along Songs Disneyland Fun" tape.

I found this page from DisneyChris (a website dedicated to previous shows and parade music at Disneyland) that has most of songs performed by Kids of The Kingdom (best known for "Disneyland Is Your Land").

Kids of The Kingdom alongside Jack Wagner were the perfect representation for anything "Disney" for both parks during the 70s and 80s. You don't seen any announcers or singers this charming anymore. I'm surprised Disney hasn't attempted to revisit the "Kids of The Kingdom" for a new generation.

Gosh I'm old. I remember them well.

Do they still have The All American College Band at DLR and WDW?

TP2000

Gosh I'm old. I remember them well.

Do they still have The All American College Band at DLR and WDW?

They still have them at Disneyland every summer. They cancelled them out at WDW years and years ago. They really focus it all on Disneyland now, with kids from the Pac 12 and Big 10 schools, plus even some East Coast schools.

But at WDW they are too bland and corporate and dull to do anything so charming and patriotic as the All-American College Band. :(

brb1006

A bonus post for both @TP2000 and @Dr. Hans Reinhardt related to Kids Of The Kingdom. Feel free to correct me If I'm wrong, but apparently one of the last parades that had "Kids of The Kingdom" perform most of the songs was "Mickey's 60th Birthday Parade" (WDW Version) which ran in 1989.

They could possibly performed the "Spirit Of America" parade theme (not live singers as seen in this video.)

Then again, I could be wrong. But Kids of The Kingdom had a very recognizable and iconic singing style and voices. So it could be very easy to mix them up with other singers that sound just like them during the 80s.

Another fun fact: Mickey's 60th Birthday Parade (1989) at Walt Disney World was also the final time Jack Wagner was able to provide the voices of both Mickey and Minnie (unless you count the 4th of July Spectacular special from 1988). Wayne Allwine and Russi Taylor later took over as the main voices of Mickey and Minnie at the various Disney Parks. I believe the very first show where Mickey and Minnie's current voices was heard was the show "Mickey's Birthdayland".

From the 4th Of July Spectacular Special

Also Mickey and Minnie both got new heads that also debuted in the "Spirit of America" Parade but didn't get rolled out until late 1988 (Disneyland) and 1989 (WDW).

Anyway back to Kids Of The Kingdom, here's another page from DisneyChris that has an archive for Disneyland Parades of the past.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom