Rumor New Orleans Mini-Land and "Reimagined" Country Bear Jamboree

MagicHappens1971

Briar Patch is not the exit gift shop nor is was it exclusive to Splash Mountain merch. The exit shop was called "Splashdown Photos". The other Frontierland shop that is closed is this one. It used to be sponsored by Smuckers.
View attachment 710427
I wasn’t talking about Briar Patch being the exit gift shop. I specifically said I don’t know if “Prairie Outpost” was the exit gift shop or not. The Briar Patch never had a huge selection of merch IMO and it was a tiny store. Not really worth being open. I do remember this store that you mentioned now. There are still a few stores across property that haven’t reopened since the pandemic, I guess this is one of them.

Tha Realest

This could literally mean anything. It could mean the name “Frontierland” isn’t going away, it could mean that they’re still going to redo Pecos and bring more of a New Orleans vibe to the existing Frontierland, or it could mean that the new “Frontierland” will be Big Thunder and beyond. Time will tell, but I wouldn’t take this tweet as gospel that things aren’t in the works
I appreciate all the perspectives many of you bring, and I love both DSNY and Mickey Views. I personally think NOS is the best land Disney’s ever built (Cars Land is a very close 2nd, and haven’t been to Pandora yet).

A switch to a vague “Southwestern Land” that erases these concepts while bringing characters from PATF, Coco, and Encancto to the fore is a triple play: it 1) undoes problematic antecedents, 2) brings more robust IP into the parks, and 3) adds diverse representation. To understand the reasoning behind the reimagining of this entire swath of the park look no further than what’s being done to Splash.

Last edited by a moderator:

castlecake2.0

I appreciate all the perspectives many of you bring, and I love both DSNY and Mickey Views. I personally think NOS is the best land Disney’s ever built (Cars Land is a very close 2nd, and haven’t been to Pandora yet).

Respectfully, I think we’re looking at this from the wrong perspective. Many of us keep trying to guess what the plans are going to be, asking ourselves “Is it thematically congruent?” Sadly I don’t think that’s going to win the day when Disney decided whether to keep an attraction. The better questions, if you want to discern the current trajectory of WDI, are, “Is this current thing problematic?” and “How can we better utilize underrepresented IP and/or marginalized groups currently without representation?”

Pecos Bills? Problematic. The concept of a “Frontier” and its attendant historical issues? Problematic. Tom Sawyer and the works of Mark Twain? Problematic (despite their consideration as among the greatest American novels of all time).

A switch to a vague “Southwestern Land” that erases these concepts while bringing characters from PATF, Coco, and Encancto to the fore is a triple play: it 1) undoes problematic antecedents, 2) brings more robust IP into the parks, and 3) adds diverse representation. To understand the reasoning behind the reimagining of this entire swath of the park look no further than what’s being done to Splash.
^^^^ this this this. All of this.

Cmdr_Crimson

This kind of reminds me of Thunder Mesa at DLP and that was to be the name of the town originally for the Western River Expedition attraction if MK was to have it..Could you imagine how much would have to been changed just for that..

FOul4CYXwAE6nCB.png

Last edited by a moderator:

SpectreJordan

I'll miss the old west aesthetic of Frontierland but this honestly makes sense. Without Splash Mountain, the theming goes out of whack & it just makes more sense to add New Orleans.

If they can recreate that South western feel as you go from Big Thunder into Coco's Mexico that would be a good spiritual successor to Frontierland. Add some old west feeling buildings over there that transition into the buildings found in Miguel's village; you could sort of create the idea of walking through the southwest into Mexico & then into Colombia. I think that'd work better than the three ideas crammed together in some mish-mash land.

mitchk

My concern is that new Frontierland behind Big Thunder will not be a representation of the American Frontier/Wild West and be that lousy "Desert land" with Coco and Encanto. That Brayden guy and his MickeyViews blog suck big time!

I wouldn’t go as far as to say that the kid sucks.. he’s just a little rich boy with a lot of time on his hands so he gets to visit the parks a lot, and gets most of his information from this site… He’s talked about Martin on several occasions… But now I think he’s getting a little cocky… Like he knows more than he does… He’s basically just a person who frequents the parks… I don’t take anything he says seriously… I know a lot more people that are much more in the know then him

Sir_Cliff

I really really dont want frontierland to look like a construction zone for the next 4 years.
Honestly, that's part of what makes me doubt this is on the cards: for it to have any chance of opening with Tiana, they'd really have to be getting to work ASAP. Otherwise, it will be a weird case of the attraction opening and then sitting amidst a construction zone for months or even years.

doctornick

Respectfully, I think we’re looking at this from the wrong perspective. Many of us keep trying to guess what the plans are going to be, asking ourselves “Is it thematically congruent?” Sadly I don’t think that’s going to win the day when Disney decided whether to keep an attraction. The better questions, if you want to discern the current trajectory of WDI, are, “Is this current thing problematic?” and “How can we better utilize underrepresented IP and/or marginalized groups currently without representation?”

Pecos Bills? Problematic. The concept of a “Frontier” and its attendant historical issues? Problematic. Tom Sawyer and the works of Mark Twain? Problematic (despite their consideration as among the greatest American novels of all time).

Are they also removing DL’s Frontierland?

KingMickey13

My concern is that new Frontierland behind Big Thunder will not be a representation of the American Frontier/Wild West and be that lousy "Desert land" with Coco and Encanto. That Brayden guy and his MickeyViews blog suck big time!
Why do you hate him so much? You’re the one that keeps trying to promote the idea that Coco and Encanto are going to Epcot and AK, which no insider has actually suggested (minus the Coco stuff pre-COVID).

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
I don’t mind this, so long as we get a new ‘western land’ beyond and including Big Thunder Mountain, and of course, the Villains Land with a headliner E-ticket.

Barring that, no, it’s a waste of money, but thematically it would make far more sense, and a net positive if the other stuff is done too.

James Alucobond

Barring that, no, it’s a waste of money, but thematically it would make far more sense, and a net positive if the other stuff is done too.
If they’re smart, it shouldn’t be that expensive. You’d only be messing with the exterior of a couple of buildings max, and you could probably achieve 70% of the desired effect by just swapping out corbels, railings, color schemes, and signage.

The most expensive part would be redoing the interior and menu of Pecos Bill, but in my opinion, that’s long overdue even if it were to remain Pecos Bill.

Incomudro

I agree with this - wish I didn't - though as I said before I have no personal love for Frontierland.
My bigger concern which you notice as well is that this trend could lead to wiping out "Colonialism Land" and Main Street.

lazyboy97o

If they’re smart, it shouldn’t be that expensive. You’d only be messing with the exterior of a couple of buildings max, and you could probably achieve 70% of the desired effect by just swapping out corbels, railings, color schemes, and signage.

The most expensive part would be redoing the interior and menu of Pecos Bill, but in my opinion, that’s long overdue even if it were to remain Pecos Bill.
Pixar Pier cost more than Expedition Everest. And you’d need to do a lot more work than you suggest to get something that doesn’t just look like a cheap imitation.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member

I don't even think the interior redo of Pecos would be all that expensive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom