New O Canada Film Video!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Based purely on the online recording it looks like the movie got a good makeover. The opening was a bit of a let down; slowly introducing wide format films with slow wipes seems to be out of favour, still the irony was great to see. There seemed to be too many segments of in-your-face 9 different images shown at once; very `todays generation` information overload. And hearing Canada (You`re a lifetime journey) was like hearing Golden Dream after the `93 rehab. Wonderful.

The hockey footage is 100% new, and it is nice to see Toronto with more than just the CN Tower (the original footage was just how I recall my visit - when I was 7)

And is it my imagination, or does the music around 8.55 for ten seconds or so (animals, bears) sound very very similar to the unused Shuttleport (Hey Mom...) loop from Horizons?? ;)

phantom groupie

I watched it last night! It is 100 millionx better than the old one. I liked how they recycled some of the old stuff and added new stuff. I think it worked really well! Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

sweetale

I think I saw the hotel I stayed at last December in Ottawa during the Rideau scene. AWESOME. :lol:

(Since they kept the footage of the cathedral forests, does that mean the "ghost" is still there?)

OT: What ghost? In the film footage or is there a "ghost" in the actual forest?

Biff215

Thanks for the video, it was great for the most part! I think I'll have to boycott the attraction, however, since they had to include one of the most painful moments in Philadelphia sports history: Joe Carter's walk-off homerun in Game 6 of the '93 World Series that beat the Phillies. :cry:

I guess it would be one of the highlights for a Canadian, but for a Phils fan, it's still painful fourteen years later!

dxwwf3

All that remains is an updated Impressions of France

While O' Canada (original version) might have been my favorite World Showcase attraction, Impressions de France is not far behind at all. They need to keep the audio track for this film EXACTLY the same and maybe just update a few scenes here and there. 90% of the film still holds up and does not really need the complete overhaul that O' Canada received.

And as far as the song update goes, the more I listen to it, the more I love it. The original song (and film as well) will always have a special place, but the new version is growing on me very quickly. I'm just so happy they kept the same song for a change.

Tim G

I thought it was a very cheap piece of old junk mixed some new parts... :(

Good remixed though, they shouldn't have put Martin Short in it...

Although, I'm glad it's not something like Nemo presenting it...

lawyergirl77

*sigh* I didn't want to watch it and be spoiled prior to my November trip, but I couldn't resist...

... and OH MY GOD! It finally looks like my country! Yay! :sohappy: They did a great job with it!! Yes, Martin Short will get annoying at some point, but it's still a vast improvement! Yay yay yay!

dandaman

I, too, want to know about the "ghost".

Well, the cathedral (very dense) forests were the second last scene in the old film. Thanks to splicing, I can't remember where this is in the new version.

If you look at the very back screen or thereabouts, you will see what appears to be a little girl in a white dress appear from behind a tree, thanks to the camera's forward motion. Obviously NOT a ghost, but it's still quite funny to watch if you know where to look. :lol:

FYI, the camera faces forward in the posted video OF the new video, therefore no sightings here.

tirian

France is so out dated it's insulting to the French people! Ask anyone from France about that movie and they'll tell you how awful it potrays them.

The France movie portrays the country perfectly. There are hardly any people in the film, and it romanticizes the country enough to make the average tourist want to visit it. Every French person I know loves the film. It doesn't look outdated at all.

epcotcenter2001

That's where you are wrong. I lived in Paris for 6 years and believe me the French people are not protrayed correctly. Every native French person I've brought to the film laughs through the entire thing....it's very sad how the people are protrayed.

The music is very nice and the attractions represented are also appealing. The culture and people are very misleading. It's very sad.

bingie

Well, the cathedral (very dense) forests were the second last scene in the old film. Thanks to splicing, I can't remember where this is in the new version.

If you look at the very back screen or thereabouts, you will see what appears to be a little girl in a white dress appear from behind a tree, thanks to the camera's forward motion. Obviously NOT a ghost, but it's still quite funny to watch if you know where to look. :lol:

FYI, the camera faces forward in the posted video OF the new video, therefore no sightings here.

It's on screen #1 now, the one above the podium.

bingie

I liked it when i saw it today. But i did notice they cheated a bit when they filmed it. all the new stuff was filmed not using a circlevision camera and instead different images were either repeated on the screens or several images were on different screens.

Not all the new stuff - some of the new stuff is single camera shots, but the old film had that as well.

The reused scenes i noticed were the people walking in the forrest, the kids hockey game, the flyover of the city with the "le cellier" building, the river with the cool building on it, the frozen river, and that one city by the water at night.
...Plus many, many more. I'll post a scene list soon. The kid's hockey game is new however. The "le cellier" building is the Parlament building, similar looking to our "Hotel du Canada", but the building in the pavilion is based on the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec.

Check out screen #1 about 2 mins into the movie after the Bouchard Gardens scene - the ghost is next to a tree in the background.

By the way, with all you folks visiting - please say hi to us when you visit. Especially the two guys at the movie.

PeoplemoverTTA

Ricky, thanks for posting this - especially with a download option, not just a YouTube link. It looks great! I can't wait for Steve to announce the new touch screen iPod this week...this will look great on it!

I spend a lot of time in Canada with work, and for leisure (living 20 minutes from the border helps). I really have a great deal of fondness and respect for the country and its people, and saying that, I think the film is excellent.

Still wish there was a Timmy's in the Canada pavilion, though....

...they don't sell Aero bars in the Canada pavilion, but at least I can get them in the UK pavilion :). After a long day traversing EPCOT, a Timbit or two and an Iced Cap would do wonders :D

doop

I really like Martin Short as the choice for this movie, he is a really funny guy. Love the new movie, thanks for filiming it Ricky!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom