New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Saw the show at Tuesday's CM previews. It's got its moments. I don't think it's good enough to release to paying guests as it is.

The pre-show with the fireflies and animal shadows is great. The introduction of the animal floats is a "wow!" moment. A few of the laser/water effects are too. And the scope and scale of the show match the park - it's the right size and feeling for the Animal Kingdom.

I don't think there's much of a narrative (I'm told that the missing lanterns are part of that, so maybe if those work). The images projected on the water screens are generally blurry. The show pacing is slowwwwwww. And the soundtrack is bland. I said in a blog post that

Looks like someone silenced him before he could finish his review. ;)

The WDW Admin answered the question spot on. As many of you guys know, the biggest issue that caused the delay was the network and bandwidth that was created in order for the barges to wirelessly travel. Surprisingly, they were able to somewhat quickly fix the problem, it screwed up again but then finally they had it fixed and tweak it as rehearsals went along. After Jungle Book, on top of the issue I stated, there were other concerns and issues to fix such as the water jets and the lighting (on top of everything else that was already pushed back in the work list) Turns out most fixtures if not all lighting fixtures around and inside the lagoon were internally fried. Wiring and motors had melted due to the heat caused due to being kept inside bubbles. Let's just say, Disney is currently bringing in their attorneys as the production company (will not mention) who sold them the fixtures promised them fixtures that would withstand the heat in the bubbles, however that was not the case. Disney ended up purchasing brand new fixtures and a different brand (Robe Blade) since those are supposed to withstand the heat and elements. So, the entire show file was recreated from scratch, new elements, effects lighting wise compared to the original show that was rehearsed months ago. :)

Cesar R M

The WDW Admin answered the question spot on. As many of you guys know, the biggest issue that caused the delay was the network and bandwidth that was created in order for the barges to wirelessly travel. Surprisingly, they were able to somewhat quickly fix the problem, it screwed up again but then finally they had it fixed and tweak it as rehearsals went along. After Jungle Book, on top of the issue I stated, there were other concerns and issues to fix such as the water jets and the lighting (on top of everything else that was already pushed back in the work list) Turns out most fixtures if not all lighting fixtures around and inside the lagoon were internally fried. Wiring and motors had melted due to the heat caused due to being kept inside bubbles. Let's just say, Disney is currently bringing in their attorneys as the production company (will not mention) who sold them the fixtures promised them fixtures that would withstand the heat in the bubbles, however that was not the case. Disney ended up purchasing brand new fixtures and a different brand (Robe Blade) since those are supposed to withstand the heat and elements. So, the entire show file was recreated from scratch, new elements, effects lighting wise compared to the original show that was rehearsed months ago. :)
bandwidth? are they using standard WIFI freqs?
If yes.. in a theme park? where the WIFI crashes on heavy days constantly? o_O

MJ6987

Saw the show at Tuesday's CM previews. It's got its moments. I don't think it's good enough to release to paying guests as it is.

The pre-show with the fireflies and animal shadows is great. The introduction of the animal floats is a "wow!" moment. A few of the laser/water effects are too. And the scope and scale of the show match the park - it's the right size and feeling for the Animal Kingdom.

I don't think there's much of a narrative (I'm told that the missing lanterns are part of that, so maybe if those work). The images projected on the water screens are generally blurry. The show pacing is slowwwwwww. And the soundtrack is bland. I said in a blog post that
You say "not good enough to release to paying guests" but surely those paying guests who booked a December trip based on original opening projections would rather see *something* even if it's not perfect and even if it's an unofficial soft opening, like you have had the privilege to do, rather than nothing - and then they can make their own judgements. It's clearly ready to go. Things can always be tweaked as they go along (just like Walt always said!). Massive fan of the books btw.

dreamscometrue

You say "not good enough to release to paying guests" but surely those paying guests who booked a December trip based on original opening projections...
Does anyone actually do that? That's not meant to be rude, btw. With so much to do at WDW, and in Central Florida in general, I can't even imagine how one could ever even think of booking a vacation around a projected opening of a new attraction, end of a refurb, etc.

dreamfinder

Does anyone actually do that? That's not meant to be rude, btw. With so much to do at WDW, and in Central Florida in general, I can't even imagine how one could ever even think of booking a vacation around a projected opening of a new attraction, end of a refurb, etc.

Lots of people do. Have you read this whole thread where many people detailed how they had booked opening weekend/one month after/two months after/4 months after/etc specifically to be able to see RoL? Your once in a lifetime guests, probably not. But lots of die hards and those who make multiple trips do plan specifically to see new attractions.

That said, thinking they should release it just because someone booked a trip falls into people complaining that a ride was under refurb when they went and their vacation was ruined. If WDW is to attempt to maintain any sort of level of show, things need to be well cared for, and open only when able to maintain a high level of show. Current management may seem to usually shrug this concept off most days (see things ranging from the Yeti to simply stuff like keep the ride queues properly cleaned/painted). But releasing something that isn't quite ready for prime time flies in the very face of what most of this forums members clamor for on a regular basis, a return to an era were management cared about the product and it's delivery.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Lots of people do. Have you read this whole thread where many people detailed how they had booked opening weekend/one month after/two months after/4 months after/etc specifically to be able to see RoL? Your once in a lifetime guests, probably not. But lots of die hards and those who make multiple trips do plan specifically to see new attractions.
Then they are foolish. You should NEVER plan on something being open when you get there. Things happen. Schedules change. If they are die hard and visit often, then they will see it next time.

Hunter H

I just got off the phone with a cast member as I had to schedule our Magical Express bus pickup for the upcoming January trip. At the end of the call, I had to ask if she knew anything about an opening date for ROL. She then informed me that Disney wants to incorporate ROL with Pandora land which is set to open summer of 2017. Still crossing my fingers that it will open in January.

dreamscometrue

I just got off the phone with a cast member as I had to schedule our Magical Express bus pickup for the upcoming January trip. At the end of the call, I had to ask if she knew anything about an opening date for ROL. She then informed me that Disney wants to incorporate ROL with Pandora land which is set to open summer of 2017. Still crossing my fingers that it will open in January.
She likely knows no more than you or I with respect to the opening date.

lentesta

Premium Member

I've heard exactly this too.

LukeS7

It doesn't sound like it from what was said.
Just for clarification: Are you agreeing with him and saying the phone rep doesn't know more than us (if so does that mean you have any info/whisperings of an earlier date? :D ) or are you saying that he's wrong and the phone rep does possibly know more?

Magic Feather

Well, since it seems that we have a while, let's dissect some concept art, while talking about what happens when you remove the floating (on the water, not in the sky) lanterns.
First: The original plan, featuring our first piece of RoL Concept Art:
image.jpeg

Now let's analyze. First: We see lanterns on the water in the foreground. These were meant to be the opening act of the show which proposes the question, "Why does everyone think the show lacks and ending, when it really lacks a beggining?". Now, for this answer, let's move further up to the central float. If you couldn't already tell, this was the original concept for the Temple Lotus. Now, remeber this, as we will see what has become of the temple later on, but note it's brilliant fire effects, and drummers, as well as extended petals. On the left and right we see the two shaman boats, that are near identical to what we are getting. Lastly for this piece is the animals in the Aurora Borealis. While the Aurora still play a role in the show (last I heard), it was significantly reduced, almost leading to the dillema, about the lack of a story. Before these shamans would usher in the lanterns for a lantern festival, and summon lightforms of animals of sorts, but due to the loss of lanterns, this story falls apart.

Now onto the second piece:
image.jpeg

To be perfectly honest, sans lanterns, this is the concept art closest to what you will see when RoL Debuts. The main difference us that you shouldn't exoect for the smaller lotuses to surround the temple, just be in front of it. (But they may go behind once, I'll have to look into it. Also, the size difference isn't that big. Onto our final piece of art:
image.jpeg

I have to admit, this is probably the concept art that simultaneously excites, and gives a decent vision. Drop the lanterns, fuzzy up the image of the constellations, ditch the birds (which I don't think were ever planned, talk about artistic liberties), and reposition some of the floats, and you have what was the intended "Wow Moment!" That everyone says RoL lacks. The sad thing is, we have a (slightly dialed down) version of this. Why isn't is a wow moment? It is because it lacks kinetics. Now I knwo what you are thinking "But, @Magic Feather , there will be moving flames and water jets. While this is true, guests have come to expect more. In Illuminations for instance, if you just opened the globe to see the torch, you would admittedly have a mediocre reaction. Now if you opened the globe with no emotional build up, you would see in IllumiNations what is happening with Rivers of Light. So when the big finale is faded into and out of, it makes for a clear, but confusing climax.

PS: It's not that RoL's possible substance is lacking (altough it partly is), it is that its potential marketing is lacking. If they hold off to AVATAR, they can make a huge nightime push at AK like they attempted in May, instead of two seperate drops, they want to make a splash.

Mike S

That said, thinking they should release it just because someone booked a trip falls into people complaining that a ride was under refurb when they went and their vacation was ruined. If WDW is to attempt to maintain any sort of level of show, things need to be well cared for, and open only when able to maintain a high level of show. Current management may seem to usually shrug this concept off most days (see things ranging from the Yeti to simply stuff like keep the ride queues properly cleaned/painted). But releasing something that isn't quite ready for prime time flies in the very face of what most of this forums members clamor for on a regular basis, a return to an era were management cared about the product and it's delivery.
Frostrom.

cjkeating

Well, since it seems that we have a while, let's dissect some concept art, while talking about what happens when you remove the floating (on the water, not in the sky) lanterns.
First: The original plan, featuring our first piece of RoL Concept Art:
View attachment 178769
Now let's analyze. First: We see lanterns on the water in the foreground. These were meant to be the opening act of the show which proposes the question, "Why does everyone think the show lacks and ending, when it really lacks a beggining?". Now, for this answer, let's move further up to the central float. If you couldn't already tell, this was the original concept for the Temple Lotus. Now, remeber this, as we will see what has become of the temple later on, but note it's brilliant fire effects, and drummers, as well as extended petals. On the left and right we see the two shaman boats, that are near identical to what we are getting. Lastly for this piece is the animals in the Aurora Borealis. While the Aurora still play a role in the show (last I heard), it was significantly reduced, almost leading to the dillema, about the lack of a story. Before these shamans would usher in the lanterns for a lantern festival, and summon lightforms of animals of sorts, but due to the loss of lanterns, this story falls apart.

Now onto the second piece:
View attachment 178770
To be perfectly honest, sans lanterns, this is the concept art closest to what you will see when RoL Debuts. The main difference us that you shouldn't exoect for the smaller lotuses to surround the temple, just be in front of it. (But they may go behind once, I'll have to look into it. Also, the size difference isn't that big. Onto our final piece of art:
View attachment 178771
I have to admit, this is probably the concept art that simultaneously excites, and gives a decent vision. Drop the lanterns, fuzzy up the image of the constellations, ditch the birds (which I don't think were ever planned, talk about artistic liberties), and reposition some of the floats, and you have what was the intended "Wow Moment!" That everyone says RoL lacks. The sad thing is, we have a (slightly dialed down) version of this. Why isn't is a wow moment? It is because it lacks kinetics. Now I knwo what you are thinking "But, @Magic Feather , there will be moving flames and water jets. While this is true, guests have come to expect more. In Illuminations for instance, if you just opened the globe to see the torch, you would admittedly have a mediocre reaction. Now if you opened the globe with no emotional build up, you would see in IllumiNations what is happening with Rivers of Light. So when the big finale is faded into and out of, it makes for a clear, but confusing climax.

PS: It's not that RoL's possible substance is lacking (altough it partly is), it is that its potential marketing is lacking. If they hold off to AVATAR, they can make a huge nightime push at AK like they attempted in May, instead of two seperate drops, they want to make a splash.

Brilliant post... I think that is why I keep on asking about the smaller lanterns (and hope they do make a last minute appearance to the show) because they seem to set up the 'lantern' story which then sets up the finale. My hope based on the reaction that has come out from the previews is that the lanterns make the final version and that the ending is dialled up a notch to give the 'aurora borealis' the scale from the concept art.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Brilliant post... I think that is why I keep on asking about the smaller lanterns (and hope they do make a last minute appearance to the show) because they seem to set up the 'lantern' story which then sets up the finale. My hope based on the reaction that has come out from the previews is that the lanterns make the final version and that the ending is dialled up a notch to give the 'aurora borealis' the scale from the concept art.
It seems almost certain the show will open without the lanterns. A return later may be on the cards, but unclear at this point.

rle4lunch

Well I'm inside DAK right now and it's too dang cold to sit thru it tonight anyway. Guess it will be a couple years til we see it. Hopefully it's running by December 2018

Kman101

I understand wanting to see the show but I personally would never plan a trip like that around a show that may or may not be open and has no firm opening date .....

HauntedMansionFLA

We were at DHS last night for their night time water show. The seating looks like it's double or triple the size compared to the Rivers of Light. Will this be a FP only show or are they going to have three or fours shows a night?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom