New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
That puzzles me.
I've been told for years (by people who should know) that the WoC system wouldn't work in Discovery River due to water quality issues.

I wonder if that changed, or if they plan to do some major infrastructure work to that lake....
I wonder if the testing that took place earlier this year was done to actually determine if it was possible.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I'm wondering if they just needed to develop/buy/install a water filtration system in the pump system (I'm assuming there is a series of pumps that would suck up the water for the mist-producing nozzles). Or, I wonder if they would/could bring the water just for that portion from an external filtered reservoir (through a series of pipes/tubes) that is off-stage. Can't say I'm a plumber/irrigation expert, but I'd have to think those two things might be options.

Bairstow

Was in the park recently, trying to imagine where people could stand to watch a show on the water. There's a lot of places but not many where people could stand more than 3 or 4 deep and still be able to see. Children and people in wheelchairs would fare even worse.
That puzzles me.
I've been told for years (by people who should know) that the WoC system wouldn't work in Discovery River due to water quality issues.

I wonder if that changed, or if they plan to do some major infrastructure work to that lake....

Installing any fixed fountains or sprayers would necessitate a major infrastructure change anyway. I wonder whether the problems are related to intaking clean water or with algae growth on the equipment while it's not in use.

RivieraJenn

The show sounds great, and I am particularly excited that they are apparently using live music. That would be a first for a regular nighttime spectacular, no?

The viewing area issues do concern me, though. I love the lushness of AK, and I would hate for them to clear-cut a bunch of trees and foliage to create enough viewing. In a park all about "conservation."

doctornick

I can somewhat agree with that but Mystic Manor features a monkey, so it would fit with the theming of Animal Kingdom. Isn't the setting of Mystic Point basically an island setting? It could work great in Animal Kingdom.

Yes, my point was that you don't have to keep the exact same story line. Modify to make sense in the setting of DAK's lands (I think Anandapur would be fine if the story has Lord Mystic "retiring" there in some capacity) and increase the role of the monkey -- or even make it multiple monkeys that have broken into the house.

It's not like there are live animals running around Kali either.

FerretAfros

After the premiere of WOC, I immediately thought that the Transformation scene from Brother Bear would have been a great fit for the show, both visually and musically. I'm glad to see that there seems to be some influence from that here, though I'm still not sure what exactly the show will be

SpectroMan93

I'm assuming they will want to premiere this around the same time frame as Avatar, so we shouldn't really expect anything until 2017 at the earliest? Anyway, the concept art looks very promising, especially the performers in the boats and real sets in conjunction with the water features. Has a very Tokyo DisneySea vibe to it.

mch521

I'm excited for this, we adore Animal Kingdom and it will be great to have some nighttime entertainment to stay longer!

MasterJedi

Anything can be changed to make it have enough viewing area.
Yes of course but without ruining the theme of the park? Im just trying to picture how they will do it. They will need to widen a lot of the walk ways to accomodate the visitors. This attraction sounds like it will be a combonation of Fantasmic and Illuminations. So people will prob stand/sit in those walk ways to watch the shows. Im just tryin to think how they will do this. Disney is capable of doing anything but they also would like to spend as little money possible while still meeting the expectations of the guests.

Lee

Adventurer
I wonder if the testing that took place earlier this year was done to actually determine if it was possible.
One would assume.
Installing any fixed fountains or sprayers would necessitate a major infrastructure change anyway. I wonder whether the problems are related to intaking clean water or with algae growth on the equipment while it's not in use.
Probably both.

doctornick

That puzzles me.

Yeah, I wonder if the technology has improved to make it feasible without major infrastructure changes. It might just be a case where they can deal with the issues in a different way to make it work.

I'm assuming they will want to premiere this around the same time frame as Avatar, so we shouldn't really expect anything until 2017 at the earliest? Anyway, the concept art looks very promising, especially the performers in the boats and real sets in conjunction with the water features. Has a very Tokyo DisneySea vibe to it.

I definitely get the impression that they plan to roll this out sooner than Pandora maybe opening up in 2015 or so. They could add this and the night safaris at the same time, though I do think the park would suffer from a lack of "stuff to do". It would help if they also added a new daytime parade at the same time.

swelch1976

In studying the concept art more closely, the Tree of Life is visible in the top right-center of the image. So, it appears that the show will be played to the Theater in the Wild side of the River.

lazyboy97o

That puzzles me.

The Big O Show from the last World's Fair in Korea uses salt water from the bay it is situated on for its fountains and water screens. I think comments regarding World of Color not being possible in Walt Disney World is more about doing a direct clone of the infrastructure where they could reorder all of the same parts.

Lee

Adventurer
The Big O Show from the last World's Fair in Korea uses salt water from the bay it is situated on for its fountains and water screens. I think comments regarding World of Color not being possible in Walt Disney World is more about doing a direct clone of the infrastructure where they could reorder all of the same parts.
Nope.
It has to do with the water and the pumps. Or...it did.

lazyboy97o

Nope.
It has to do with the water and the pumps. Or...it did.
The pumps specifically used in California, not the general category of pumps and nozzles. Like I said, there is a show in Korea that has been using natural salt water since it opened in 2012.

Disney6166

I just hope it doesn't take another 3 years to get this built like everything else. I have a feeling it will open with Avatarland in 2017. Concept Art looks great!

msteel

The fountains and the boats make me think of Fantasmic. I wonder whether the general public would view the two shows as "the same thing."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom