New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Prototype82

2 viewings in and this show is still making my eyes sting. Had to lie to my girlfriend and tell her sunscreen got in my eyes. lol The whole animal spirit story in a surreal setting is all that it needs to be. It doesn't need cartoons. It solidifies everything you experienced during the day before you leave the park. Sure there are bits of IP sprinkled around animal kingdom, but this show, though entertainment, should remain the spiritual experience that it is. I know that sounds cheesy but I feel way too strongly about it. I saw this show for the first time a few months after my cat passed away. He went through a lot before I rescued him. To think a nighttime show in a theme park could give a person closure to the loss of a friend sounds kind of ridiculous, but it did exactly that. It tells a story of a place where the souls of the living are bridged with those of creatures that have passed on into a sky. Now imagine Dory jumping into the scene... :banghead:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
anyone know when Disney will release the dining packages for November, getting close
I was going to ask the same thing. They also only seem to have show times every other night in October with none listed at all for November. Is that normal or is there a chance this show gets reduced hours or stops running altogether.

Dave B

I was going to ask the same thing. They also only seem to have show times every other night in October with none listed at all for November. Is that normal or is there a chance this show gets reduced hours or stops running altogether.
I know it doesn't run every night, so I am expecting the every other day scenario, but it would be nice to be able to plan a little bit more

Jmachado

Just came back from a much needed trip to Disney. We went to Animal Kingdom to check out the new Avatar Land and the Rivers of Light. Last time we went a few months ago, the show stopped mid performance and shut down. I wrote about it here that day.

We went back and as we were waiting for the show to start, they announced that there were technical difficulties and was delayed. Fortunately, the show went on, but one of the lotus floats was malfunctioning throughout the show. All the other floats were lined up and well synchronized, but the one rogue kept floating around like a Roomba that didn't know how to go back to base. The show went on, but was quite distracting.

From both times I've seen the shows, I find it OK. The first time, it was quite windy and the projections on the water streams were hard to make out. The second time, it was a bit rainy and allowed for much better viewing. Overall, it is as pretty and any other Nighty show. But I do tend to agree with most that the long waits in line lower my tendencies to watch this show multiple times.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
We have the show times through to December at http://www.wdwmagic.com/calendar.htm

jaxonp

The show doesn't have any familiar characters, story or music so its hard for most people to grasp. Go watch it a 2nd and 3rd time and you'll begin to appreciate the originality of the show and its music. Does it lack wow factor of a fireworks show? Yes!.. but it isn't one so don't expect it to be. The colors on that water are amazing. Everything doesn't have to be Mickey, Elsa, Thor and BB8... I applaud Disney for something original... Just like ROE was once, but we've all seen it umpteen times and now we love it... give ROL that chance... and for crying out loud... it doesn't show well on youtube, people.

JWG

This show's miss is concerning. Disney needs no more ammunition about why established IP must be build into everything. I know it's unavoidable now, but my favorite Disney Parks things did not include established movie/TV IP. I'm sure the next iteration of this will have Simba, Baloo, Nemo, Dory, and everyone from Zootopia.

Tom Morrow

2 viewings in and this show is still making my eyes sting. Had to lie to my girlfriend and tell her sunscreen got in my eyes. lol The whole animal spirit story in a surreal setting is all that it needs to be. It doesn't need cartoons. It solidifies everything you experienced during the day before you leave the park. Sure there are bits of IP sprinkled around animal kingdom, but this show, though entertainment, should remain the spiritual experience that it is. I know that sounds cheesy but I feel way too strongly about it. I saw this show for the first time a few months after my cat passed away. He went through a lot before I rescued him. To think a nighttime show in a theme park could give a person closure to the loss of a friend sounds kind of ridiculous, but it did exactly that. It tells a story of a place where the souls of the living are bridged with those of creatures that have passed on into a sky. Now imagine Dory jumping into the scene... :banghead:
Wonderful post!

It annoys me that everyone who doesn't like it is so quick to deem it an uninspired failure instead of just that it's not their cup of tea.

Sure, it's got some obvious cuts but there's a lot more to it than some floats floating on water.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

In off-peak times, they skip M-W-F.

I enjoy RoL a lot. However, I don't know if I would if I had to stand or wait in a lengthy line.

Nmoody1

You could make these statements about Reflections of Earth as well. For example, the music - RoE doesn't have any recurring melody throughout the show either, as opposed to say, Wishes or Fantasmic, but you've seen RoeE many times and are familiar with the score now, so you probably like it. RoE is also abstract and preachy

I wish the soundtrack was on YouTube (it is, but Disney blocked it on copywright grounds) so everyone could listen to it while not watching a show and looking for reasons to dislike it.

You're complaining about the lack of IP, forgetting that many of the best WDW experiences over the years were not IP-based, at a time when they are using IP more than they ever have?? If they had used IP it would make this exactly like the MK and Studios projection shows, "only this one is about the animal movies."

The soundtrack is on Spotify ;)

ChrisM

In off-peak times, they skip M-W-F.

I'd normally agree with you, but that doesn't explain why they are showing it daily through September but then switch to three days a week in October (and beyond), while apparently also just about to lengthen park hours almost across the board (if recent TP and UT calendar updates are to be believed) in October.

I suspect they are going to end up showing this daily through the end of the year but are being cagey about updating the schedule.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom