New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Kman101

THANK YOU!

WOC is in it's own class, ROL doesn't even come close to it as far as overall concept / show / effects / music.

Stop it, stop it, your making to much sense.
Maybe they should hand out those Avatar glasses, and we can all make believe there is fireworks in the show eh?.. ;)

As someone who doesn't care much for WoC (seeing it in person would help tremendously of course .... I know that ....), I'd argue that ROL is in it's own class too. Who decreed a show "needs" fireworks or pyro to actually be good? A bigger flame doesn't make the exact same show you watched any better. JMO. A lantern on the water makes the exact same show better?

I'm with @jaxonp on ROL. Not every night show has or needs to be the same. Some just aren't going to like the show and that's fine. A shell bursting in the air makes it better? The exact same show someone was maybe "meh" about suddenly gets a firework burst or a larger flame and it's all of a sudden a better show? I don't get that either.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
There's discussion and then there's the endless whining and complaining. Some get up in arms over the former. Not you, but just saying .... some always want to cry negativity but sometimes it's just a discussion ...
I think the show looks great, but there is an an underlying issue that cotinues to occur and this show is not exempt from it. I believe some of the "heated discussion" stems from the fact that Disney continues to over promise, then under deliver, and they take far too long to deliver it. Now, before anybody slaps a doom and gloom sticker on me, allow me to explain.

As I said, I think the show looks great and I cant wait to see it. But this show, like many of the latest large scale projects, is extremely scaled back from what the original concept drawings and descriptions were when it was announced. And again, like most large projects, it was not completed anywhere near the original date they announced. Most people would feelthat after taking this long, there would be more, not less.

Disney hypes it up to a certain level, and never quite reaches it. Then people question it, and they are labelled as negative. And yes, most projects get scaled back. But we live in an age where information travels faster than ever before. Disney could do themselves a favor and simply stop putting out too much information. Stop releasing artist renderings that they know will most likely be scaled back. Would they not serve themselves better by understating the scope of a project, then announcing they are ADDING more than originally intended. They keep shooting themselves in the foot by creating unrealistic expectations and overselling it.

CaptainAmerica

What does Disney gain by posting deliberately incorrect information for show schedules and park hours? They might not know EXACTLY when Animal Kingdom will close the second week of August, but they sure as heck know it ain't closing at 7pm. It seems like the only thing they get out of this is frustrated guests and lost dining reservations.

MagicHappens1971

What does Disney gain by posting deliberately incorrect information for show schedules and park hours? They might not know EXACTLY when Animal Kingdom will close the second week of August, but they sure as heck know it ain't closing at 7pm. It seems like the only thing they get out of this is frustrated guests and lost dining reservations.
"Park hours are subject to change without notice", because they can and they have lost interest in guest satisfaction.

donsullivan

Premium Member

It doesn't really matter what they do on this one. If they put them out 6 months in advance and then feel the need to change them later; people complain. If they do not release them way in advance people complain. It's pretty much a lose/lose for Disney; somebody will not be happy not matter what they do so they do the best they can with available data.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

...so they do the best they can with available data.
No they're not. With Pandora, Rivers of Light, huge crowds, and an 8pm sunset, they know with 100% certainty that Animal Kingdom will not be closing at 7pm for the entire week of August 5 - 12, yet that's exactly what their calendar shows. That's not "the best they can do with available data," that's just lazy. They need to get their operations and their PR people in line and coordinate much better when it comes to updating their schedules after a new announcement.

Bizarrely, Happily Ever After shows up correctly in the Magic Kingdom that week but Rivers of Light is nowhere to be found.

JohnD

As someone who doesn't care much for WoC (seeing it in person would help tremendously of course .... I know that ....), I'd argue that ROL is in it's own class too. Who decreed a show "needs" fireworks or pyro to actually be good? A bigger flame doesn't make the exact same show you watched any better. JMO. A lantern on the water makes the exact same show better?

I'm with @jaxonp on ROL. Not every night show has or needs to be the same. Some just aren't going to like the show and that's fine. A shell bursting in the air makes it better? The exact same show someone was maybe "meh" about suddenly gets a firework burst or a larger flame and it's all of a sudden a better show? I don't get that either.

Exactly. I saw Illuminations with my folks. When the low level fireworks and flames erupted, my Dad thought something was wrong. A guest leaned over and told him it was part of the show. Fantasmic also has fire over the water too. It works for that show because of the dragon in Mickey's dream. Fireworks and pyro aren't needed for every show. I think I would rather have something more mystical at AK anyway.

Kman101

I think the show looks great, but there is an an underlying issue that cotinues to occur and this show is not exempt from it. I believe some of the "heated discussion" stems from the fact that Disney continues to over promise, then under deliver, and they take far too long to deliver it. Now, before anybody slaps a doom and gloom sticker on me, allow me to explain.

As I said, I think the show looks great and I cant wait to see it. But this show, like many of the latest large scale projects, is extremely scaled back from what the original concept drawings and descriptions were when it was announced. And again, like most large projects, it was not completed anywhere near the original date they announced. Most people would feelthat after taking this long, there would be more, not less.

Disney hypes it up to a certain level, and never quite reaches it. Then people question it, and they are labelled as negative. And yes, most projects get scaled back. But we live in an age where information travels faster than ever before. Disney could do themselves a favor and simply stop putting out too much information. Stop releasing artist renderings that they know will most likely be scaled back. Would they not serve themselves better by understating the scope of a project, then announcing they are ADDING more than originally intended. They keep shooting themselves in the foot by creating unrealistic expectations and overselling it.

I absolutely agree. I do. Great post. But who's fault is it that they buy into what Disney's selling? I guess I set my expectations low because I realistically had no expectations going into this show. What did they oversell about it? What would Joe Q. Public know about the show to disappoint them that we don't? I agree with you but it seems like with this show, people set their own expectations. "It's not WOC" "It needs pyro" "More fire" ... they didn't deliver it on time, they didn't deliver the lanterns, it's a shorter show, but how many, besides us, know this fact? I'm not saying it makes it right, but you know we pick apart, dissect, etc. and look at things differently on here. We have higher expectations. I'll see the show in person this Friday. Having watched videos, the show looks incredibly impressive. I can't tell you how often I've listened to the music and I've almost never had any Disney music on repeat. Ever.

I guess when I ask the questions I do, it's because for me, adding pyro or fire to the show AS IT IS, does nothing to change it really, so how does that suddenly make it better?

Should we just have the expectations that we need fireworks for a nightly spectacular? Why can't this show just succeed (or fail) on it's own, as it is?

I get the feeling that some think something is missing. I can get that. The show sort of ... ends, but at the same time, I love that it ends the way it does. So I just wonder what they could do to have it reach the level that some on here think it needs to be at. No one seems to be able to tell me what would make the show better. Why the lanterns would make it better. Why fireworks make it better, etc.

CaptainAmerica

I absolutely agree. I do. Great post. But who's fault is it that they buy into what Disney's selling? I guess I set my expectations low because I realistically had no expectations going into this show. What did they oversell about it? What would Joe Q. Public know about the show to disappoint them that we don't? I agree with you but it seems like with this show, people set their own expectations. "It's not WOC" "It needs pyro" "More fire" ... they didn't deliver it on time, they didn't deliver the lanterns, it's a shorter show, but how many, besides us, know this fact? I'm not saying it makes it right, but you know we pick apart, dissect, etc. and look at things differently on here. We have higher expectations. I'll see the show in person this Friday. Having watched videos, the show looks incredibly impressive. I can't tell you how often I've listened to the music and I've almost never had any Disney music on repeat. Ever.
Agree: Concept art isn't a promise. When people take concept art and tidbits from insiders and drive the hype train off a cliff, that's not Disney over promising anything. Disney didn't "promise" anything, period. I have thousands of posts on a Disney fan site and I still don't know what everyone is talking about when they say "lanterns" so I won't be disappointed not to see them. If they're trying new show effects and groundbreaking technologies, there are going to be things that don't work out and have to be scrapped or delayed. Walt Disney himself wanted to put live animals in the Jungle Cruise but he couldn't make it work. That doesn't mean Jungle Cruise was a failure. But if that had happened in 2017, message boards would have burned TDO for being too cheap to put tigers on the banks of that river.

Disagree: The delayed release is a major problem because they announced a date. They said Earth Day last year. People may have booked trips based on that information.

Kman101

Agree: Concept art isn't a promise. When people take concept art and tidbits from insiders and drive the hype train off a cliff, that's not Disney over promising anything. Disney didn't "promise" anything, period. I have thousands of posts on a Disney fan site and I still don't know what everyone is talking about when they say "lanterns" so I won't be disappointed not to see them. If they're trying new show effects and groundbreaking technologies, there are going to be things that don't work out and have to be scrapped or delayed. Walt Disney himself wanted to put live animals in the Jungle Cruise but he couldn't make it work. That doesn't mean Jungle Cruise was a failure. But if that had happened in 2017, message boards would have burned TDO for being too cheap to put tigers on the banks of that river.

Disagree: The delayed release is a major problem because they announced a date. They said Earth Day last year. People may have booked trips based on that information.

I agree!

I should have added I do think announcing a date and then delaying for nearly a year was a massive blunder (one word for it) but who's out there talking about it? I don't see the media whining about it.

And, well, I don't know what to say about those who booked a trip based on a show that had a promise of an opening date; me, personally, I wouldn't and if I did, I know that delays can happen and it's not a guarantee, although in this case, Disney's history says it should have been relied on so I get that, no excuse for it. For a company that wants us to plan everything in advance, they do a poor job of communicating their schedules.

CaptainAmerica

For a company that wants us to plan everything in advance, they do a poor job of communicating their schedules.
Exactly this. I've defended the 180 day dining window as well as the 60 day Fastpass window on numerous occasions, but for it to work they need to have their schedule nailed down at 180 days, no questions asked. I'm well within my dining reservation window but I can't book anything because I don't have any confirmation that Rivers of Light will be showing every night and, if it is, if it might be multiple shows per night. The potential need to move my Animal Kingdom night could blow up the entire week's plan.

Kman101

Exactly this. I've defended the 180 day dining window as well as the 60 day Fastpass window on numerous occasions, but for it to work they need to have their schedule nailed down at 180 days, no questions asked. I'm well within my dining reservation window but I can't book anything because I don't have any confirmation that Rivers of Light will be showing every night and, if it is, if it might be multiple shows per night. The potential need to move my Animal Kingdom night could blow up the entire week's plan.

Yep. A mess.

I'm glad I don't have to plan a trip to WDW because I honestly don't think I would. I don't agree that there needs to be AS MUCH planning as some on here want to stress, but the amount of hoops to jump through now are very discouraging. I'm 90 minutes away from the Kingdom. I also have a Universal pass. I was headed there a few weeks ago for the day and literally turned around and found other things to do (in Orlando, shocker, I know, there's more than Disney and Universal). Sounds silly, I know, but the security, the crowding, the lack of new things to do, the crowding (and the crowding), the lines, the crowding .... it just wasn't appealing anymore. It's not fun. Something has to give. And I'm someone who can go for the day and not ride a single thing and have it be a great day but something about it's just turning me off.

Anyway ... we're probably getting far too off-topic ...

SorcererMC

Here is the concept art that shows the lanterns....
Rivers-of-Light_Full_26018.jpg

I also think that the show could use more of a finale, but not necessarily more pyro/fireworks, because I don't think that is what the show is supposed to be.

JohnD

Here is the concept art that shows the lanterns....
View attachment 189599

I also think that the show could use more of a finale, but not necessarily more pyro/fireworks, because I don't think that is what the show is supposed to be.

There was a gazebo in the concept art for the property that my townhouse is on. I have yet to see a gazebo. That was just "an artist's rendering."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom