New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

TTA94

I doubt they'd advertise previews. Announced soft opening dates are essentially just a new opening date.

Do you think those rumored preview events could still happen? Like a random Disney blog post one of these days saying tickets on sale now for special preview nights or something?

JohnWD

Not really directed at you but I wanted to put this out there. Being a true fan of something means you care enough to criticize where you believe it's due. For a perfect example look up the fan reaction to the Metroid game Nintendo is releasing this year. It's not pretty.

Blindly accepting any and everything and putting down criticisms makes you a sheep.
Can you keep a tally on who are the sheep so we can either all ignore them or know it's fair game to put them down and call them names?

Kamikaze

What, what, what??? CTX was AMAZING when it opened. Granted, it wasn't as cool as Indy, but it was pretty freakin' awesome.

What was so amazing about it? That it shook back and forth? Wow! That it has sudden acceleration? Wow! Its Spider-Man with sets instead of screens. Both are highly overrated.

Kamikaze

1.Don't call people sweety it's demeaning. 2. After designers are done and the show goes to park ops they can trim and edit it however they like I mean look at world of color. For now the show is safe but a year or two from now who knows.

Sorry, sweety, I'll make sure it doesn't happen again.

Disney Analyst

I really want Rivers of Light to be incredible. I sincerely hope it is... I wonder if it is going to be too obscure for the audience? I am a theatrical, artsy person... it's going to likely be up my alley, but do we think this is going to work for the Walt Disney World demographic? I mean, we obviously don't know as we have yet to see the show in full, but from what we know so far.

ToTBellHop

I really want Rivers of Light to be incredible. I sincerely hope it is... I wonder if it is going to be too obscure for the audience? I am a theatrical, artsy person... it's going to likely be up my alley, but do we think this is going to work for the Walt Disney World demographic? I mean, we obviously don't know as we have yet to see the show in full, but from what we know so far.
Visiting Walt Disney World should be a high-brow experience for a classy crowd. This isn't the New York State Fair.

doctornick

I don't understand why people think guests will reject RoL. Projections, fountains, barges, lights -- why wouldn't that be entertaining? People seem to line up to watch the Bellagio fountains year after year and they have no theme or story, but are just fun to observe. Or, more direct for WDW, people wait in long lines to enjoy Soarin' with its score and great scenery.

Maybe I'm giving the common Disney guest too much credit, but why wouldn't it be well received? Is there something comparable that already "failed" with the guest demographic?

ToTBellHop

I can't tell if you're making a joke or not..

Because my experience with the Disney crowd has never seemed high-brow in the least...
It's not anymore. I said "should." It once was. Clearly, they are experimenting with RoL to see if we still enjoy class or if we are all actually just rubes who expect to see Simba roar and Timon make fart jokes about Pumbaa on a water screen (with scents!).

Sped2424

Sorry, sweety, I'll make sure it doesn't happen again.
Z0aZ6_s-200x150.gif

Nope I still can't find where you thought you had any sort of part of the previous conversation.

Prototype82

Disagree with your disagreement, :D when all it's effects were working ... the ride was very cool. I forget how many effects have gone un-repaired or turned off, it's too numerous to count. The ride needs some TLC badly in it's current state, I can't remember the last time it has had a decent re-furb.
It's surprising, considering these past few months have been a giant impressive visual overhaul of the entire park. New restaurants, an expansion, a nightshow, massive retheming and landscaping...but in-ride effects don't seem to be part of the agenda. Anyone miss the lavender scented mist on Kali? I haven't been in years so I don't know if anything's made a comeback...

Disney Analyst

I don't understand why people think guests will reject RoL. Projections, fountains, barges, lights -- why wouldn't that be entertaining? People seem to line up to watch the Bellagio fountains year after year and they have no theme or story, but are just fun to observe. Or, more direct for WDW, people wait in long lines to enjoy Soarin' with its score and great scenery.

Maybe I'm giving the common Disney guest too much credit, but why wouldn't it be well received? Is there something comparable that already "failed" with the guest demographic?

I don't think there's ever been a show like this state side. This aligns more closely to the shows Disney Sea does or has done. It makes me think of BraviSEAmo!, minus the fire and pyro. But that's from what little we currently know still. The costumes for the two original characters looks magnificent, as does the animal lanterns. We have yet to see the lotus flower, which I assume is incredible.

This really should be an incredible, artistic, beautiful show. I'm just curious if the majority of visitors (not us Disney fanatics) will truly.. get it? I guess I should have higher hopes in people... But seeing what the masses normally cling to and love at Disney, I worry.

Edited to add:

I guess my point is, this is the first true test of something completely original at Disney World in a long time.. It will be interesting to see if it pays off or not. I hope it does, as if it doesn't... the consequences to originality may be severe.

twebber55

I don't think there's ever been a show like this state side. This aligns more closely to the shows Disney Sea does or has done. It makes me think of BraviSEAmo!, minus the fire and pyro. But that's from what little we currently know still. The costumes for the two original characters looks magnificent, as does the animal lanterns. We have yet to see the lotus flower, which I assume is incredible.

This really should be an incredible, artistic, beautiful show. I'm just curious if the majority of visitors (not us Disney fanatics) will truly.. get it? I guess I should have higher hopes in people... But seeing what the masses normally cling to and love at Disney, I worry.

Edited to add:

I guess my point is, this is the first true test of something completely original at Disney World in a long time.. It will be interesting to see if it pays off or not. I hope it does, as if it doesn't... the consequences to originality may be severe.
i think its fitting, given that this park is so unique that it has a unique night time show

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom