Rumor New nighttime show at Epcot

trainplane3

If we are lucky, they will turn Norway into Elsa’s Ice Palace while blue fireworks explode to 4 minutes of “Let it Go”. Then do the same with Mexico using “Remember Me” and close out the show turning Spaceship Earth into the Death Star while “Imperial March” plays.
That's obviously a joke, but reading that while listening to sections of the score from Horizons makes it so much more depressing. Knowing they can make some incredible, original music (not based off a movie) but might go with the easy cash-in of playing everyones "favorite animated movie scores of 20XX" straight up hurts.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I noticed this weekend some of the lights on the speaker poles on the bridge between France and UK have been converted to LED fixtures instead of the ones that have the colored plastic over the light (sorry I don't know the official name lol). Is there a correlation between this change and the new show? Perhaps the promenade will be integrated into show like the MK hub is during HEA.
It may just be part of the property wide move to go LED as opposed to the old parcan lights but I’m sure it’ll all be DMX’d for future use too. At least I’d hope so!

USofA scott

IP based show at EPCOT. The horrors, the horrors.
Actually, Suprise in the Sky was a character driven (or actually character piloted) show that featured giant character inflatables, and music from classic disney films and TV right on World Showcase Lagoon

Spash007

My daughter recently became enamored with Mulan (thanks Netflix) and the other day during the Be a Man sequence, I couldn't help but imagine it as part of the new show. While I am all for the non-IP Epcot, if done well and not just done by randomly inserting the most popular IPs, I think this could be done well - keep the story and theme of Illuminations, but through IPs that highlight different countries and potentially the future.

That said, I love the soundtrack of Illuminations, and am really depressed that I'm assuming they'll get rid of it in lieu of music soundbites from movies.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
IP based show at EPCOT. The horrors, the horrors.
Actually, Suprise in the Sky was a character driven (or actually character piloted) show that featured giant character inflatables, and music from classic disney films and TV right on World Showcase Lagoon

Let me guess - We should be thankful it took them this long to replace RoE with an IP-driven show?

Nothing says, "Disney" these days like replacing a show dedicated to human achievement with a grand soundtrack with 10 minutes of seeing movie characters set to some cheap, generic music score with DRONES!!!, projections, and some pyro.

Dizknee_Phreek

I haven't read this whole thread...but I just wanted to say it's going to be really hard for me to let RoE go. It's hands down my favorite of all the night time shows. I tear up literally every time I see it. I know it's old and time for change. But I don't see Disney making something better than what we have now. Especially the Disney we have today. I can only assume they'll take something that's so incredibly moving in every way and turn it into something lackluster like we've them do so often over the past 10 years. My heart hurts to think of it. I hope they don't rely too heavily on IPs and projection mapping, because I gotta be honest, I'm not impressed with Disney's use of PM so far. Their use of it on the castle just seems too busy and overwhelming for me.

USofA scott

I am not sure of the original score part, it has been 25 years since i watched it live and the videos I have seen feature older Disney songs and Aaron Copeland music.
I am not sure how you judge parts as non-IP in a show designed using intellectual property for the almost the entire show. do you call it non-IP if they play Copeland but inflate characters?

Kman101

If we are lucky, they will turn Norway into Elsa’s Ice Palace while blue fireworks explode to 4 minutes of “Let it Go”. Then do the same with Mexico using “Remember Me” and close out the show turning Spaceship Earth into the Death Star while “Imperial March” plays.

You kid, but .... lol

What an interesting picture to think about though .... I hope the integration of IP is tasteful.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I am not sure of the original score part, it has been 25 years since i watched it live and the videos I have seen feature older Disney songs and Aaron Copeland music.
I am not sure how you judge parts as non-IP in a show designed using intellectual property for the almost the entire show. do you call it non-IP if they play Copeland but inflate characters?
The none IP parts were the parts with no IP. Nor was it IP led. The characters arriving were actually announced on their arrival well into the show. They also played a bit part for the finale.

The score was mainly based on “Theme from Surprise in the Skies”, a rendition of which still plays at the fountain.

bcoachable

The none IP parts were the parts with no IP. Nor was it IP led. The characters arriving were actually announced on their arrival well into the show. They also played a bit part for the finale.

The score was mainly based on “Theme from Surprise in the Skies”, a rendition of which still plays at the fountain.

There is NOTHING this man does not know!!!
Hey Marni, over here in the states, we rubes are gearing up for something called "March Madness" or our bosses call, "Get Nothing Done Month"
wanna help me fill in my bracket??!!

Marc Davis Fan

I still think in a decade or so Disney will come to its senses and stop copying Universals format (single based IP lands and only rides, it’s understandable for Universal to do this because they are only known for that, but Disney can do more.) and hopefully understand people go to Disney not just for the characters, but for its unique parks that have incredible themes. Just the entire idea of Epcot as a park is inspiring and is one of the only places in the world like that. I don’t see why Disney can’t take pride in that.

I couldn't agree more. If Disney wants to differentiate itself from the growing competition in the long run, the best way for it to stand out is to maintain and expand what makes Disney parks deeper and more meaningful - such as Epcot's theme of global community and human achievement, and Animal Kingdom's theme of "the intrinsic value of nature." There is nothing else in the world that uses themed design to make important statements and express meaningful philosophical ideas. It would be a great loss if this unique phenomenon faded away, and it would be a great long-term benefit to both the company and the guests if this were maintained and expanded upon. We shall see.

brb1006

Since there aren't the many videos of the Surprise in the Skies show. These two part videos will have to do for those that haven't seen it.

Promotional photo during WDW's 20th Anniversary

mkp031399SMALL.jpg

Magic Feather

This show will be a departure from RoE. As i have said previous, it will take a bit from RoL, not as much RoE anymore (will have similar style pyro, fountains, etc.), and, dare I say it, some Tokyo DisneySea harbor show mixed in (and DRONEZZZ). This will be one of, if not the most unique show on property when all is said and done, and I wouldn't give up hope for no IP yet (but I wouldn't hold my breath). This show is in good hands and has good intentions (then again, so did RoL,) so let us hope it does us and EPCOT proud. (Also, still hearing 2019/2020, but it could be on the early side of that)

Tavernacle12

This may be an odd question, but does anyone have an idea (or guess) as to how much advance notice the show changeover will have? Or just a general idea of how much notice these sorts of things get. I recall Wishes had a really short window between it's announced close and HEA opening. RoE is important enough to me I would want to plan a farewell trip for to see it just one last time.

EvilChameleon

This show will be a departure from RoE. As i have said previous, it will take a bit from RoL, not as much RoE anymore (will have similar style pyro, fountains, etc.), and, dare I say it, some Tokyo DisneySea harbor show mixed in (and DRONEZZZ). This will be one of, if not the most unique show on property when all is said and done, and I wouldn't give up hope for no IP yet (but I wouldn't hold my breath). This show is in good hands and has good intentions (then again, so did RoL,) so let us hope it does us and EPCOT proud. (Also, still hearing 2019/2020, but it could be on the early side of that)

Any information on the holiday tags (4th, Christmas, NYE) being ditched?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom